PDA

View Full Version : Soccer -France eliminates Ireland

Blaze
November 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Definitely, there was a hand on this winning goal..
Ireland has been kicking out of the world cup that way..
Will there be a riot in the country or something ?:flamemad: :argue

zFoBX0xzIAw

Brian Krashpad
November 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Absolutely disgusting.

duhvoodooman
November 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Geez, that officiating is worse than the umpiring we saw in the baseball playoffs this year! Made worse by the fact that the French player's use of his hand was quite clearly intentional.

piebaldpython
November 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Maybe the official HAD to turn a blind eye to the hand........vis-a-vis a perceived threat to his family??

Algonquin
November 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Soccer has no instant replay, and officials are going to miss calls. What we saw on that video was a closeup view of the net area, and I wasn't able to clearly see where the officials field position was. Let's not turn this into anything more than it needs to be.

We've seen teams win and lose critical games in almost every sport at some point or another.

Lev
November 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Believe me we are hurting here in Ireland. The Irish government have even called for the game to be replayed. Unfortunately FIFA want and need France in the finals as they have the star players & star players mean FIFA can charge more money for TV rights etc. Little old Ireland's appeal to have the game replayed will fall on deaf ears!

Brian Krashpad
November 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Soccer has no instant replay, and officials are going to miss calls. What we saw on that video was a closeup view of the net area, and I wasn't able to clearly see where the officials field position was. Let's not turn this into anything more than it needs to be.

We've seen teams win and lose critical games in almost every sport at some point or another.

But there's a difference between a simple blown call and intentional cheating that's not caught. That hand ball was clearly intentional. Henry is a cheat.

Additionally, the referee has linesmen whose duty it is to cover plays by the goal line, and on the side lines.

The blown call is a shame, the cheating is disgusting and dishonorable.

piebaldpython
November 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, blown calls happen all the time....in all sports. Hopefully, that's was this is.

Robert
November 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The result is final, no re-match. Very sad for Ireland. The cruel world of sports sometimes! :(

marnold
November 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Part of me feels pity. You shouldn't lose a chance to a World Cup bid on something like that. From the angle I could completely understand how the ref could have missed it. He could have asked the linesman, but he didn't. Really, a very similar play became the infamous "hand of God" goal.

Part of me wants to tell the Irish to suck it up. Ireland lost 2-0 on aggregate. You want to advance? How about scoring a goal! If you don't put the ball in the back of the net at all, you can hardly complain.

Robert
November 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Henry said: "There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalising goal."

"Naturally, I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa," he said.

Lev
November 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Part of me feels pity. You shouldn't lose a chance to a World Cup bid on something like that. From the angle I could completely understand how the ref could have missed it. He could have asked the linesman, but he didn't. Really, a very similar play became the infamous "hand of God" goal.

Part of me wants to tell the Irish to suck it up. Ireland lost 2-0 on aggregate. You want to advance? How about scoring a goal! If you don't put the ball in the back of the net at all, you can hardly complain.

Ireland were winning 1-0 at the time ( and were the better team on the night) The agregate score was 1-1. This goal made it 2-1 to France, it was late in extra time so we really had very little time to come back.

Blaze
November 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Too bad thinks the Murphy irish part of me , no justice here..

Here s another famous controversy goal ..

-eZhBCqh8l8&feature=PlayList&p=8200C6CC61811E52&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=20

marnold
November 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Ireland were winning 1-0 at the time ( and were the better team on the night) The agregate score was 1-1. This goal made it 2-1 to France, it was late in extra time so we really had very little time to come back.
Mea culpa. That's what I get for trusting a conversation I heard elsewhere. This much is for sure, Domenech needs to have a big bucket of shut the **** up. I can't believe he keeps droning on about how he can't understand why people might be upset with Henry. I'm not surprised that FIFA decided not to do anything. That's pretty much their stock answer.

Brian Krashpad
November 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Too bad thinks the Murphy irish part of me , no justice here..

Here s another famous controversy goal ..

-eZhBCqh8l8&feature=PlayList&p=8200C6CC61811E52&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=20

Don't need to watch, have seen it many times.

Maradona is a lousy cheat too.

Both hand balls were intentional.

Lev
November 24th, 2009, 04:59 AM
let's just enjoy ireland's goal... Excellent pass and move football
hSxHIMjTNHQ