PDA

View Full Version : Gibson SG

Neal
November 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I was lucky to stumble across a SG, which I believe to be early 70s, but I can't be sure. The serial # is 132121, and it's marked made in USA. It also has square block inlays on the neck. I would appreciate any help that I can get for information on it.

Tig
November 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx didn't find that number (the guitar is likely to be older than 1977), but suggested using their Vintage Panel search. Go to the above webpage, scroll down slightly and enter all the information you can).

Example:
check all that apply

Electric Solid Body
'MADE IN USA' stamped on headstock
Les Paul Classicpick one

Impressed into back of headstock
Ink Stamped / Decal unto back of headstock
Printed on label in soundhole

FrankenFretter
November 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
According to Guitar Dater (http://www.guitardaterproject.org/default.aspx):

Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA
approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

Kodiak3D
November 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Nice find!

ZMAN
November 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
A good start would be a couple of pictures. There are several styles of SG in the 70s. They still made the p90 Special, and the hummbucker equipped Standrd. The standard usually had the vibrolo, and a chrome tail piece that ran from the bridge to the bottom of the guitar. Instead of the earlier full pick guard it had a pickguard only on the portion below the pickups.
The necks were fairly thick on the specials and I think a little thinner on the standards. The block inlay should be on the first fret as well. I would say your is a Standard. I have a 1968 Special and it is a sweet guitar.

Neal
November 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
A good start would be a couple of pictures. There are several styles of SG in the 70s. They still made the p90 Special, and the hummbucker equipped Standrd. The standard usually had the vibrolo, and a chrome tail piece that ran from the bridge to the bottom of the guitar. Instead of the earlier full pick guard it had a pickguard only on the portion below the pickups.
The necks were fairly thick on the specials and I think a little thinner on the standards. The block inlay should be on the first fret as well. I would say your is a Standard. I have a 1968 Special and it is a sweet guitar.

I was up in Ontario in a place called SudburryI almost froze to death. As a matter of fact, that may be the reason I moved from NY to SC:crazyguy

I was looking on Ebay and saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220512928137&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is the exaxt same guitar that I have. What makes it so expensive?

Kodiak3D
November 21st, 2009, 08:43 AM

The fact that it's a vintage Gibson SG.

ZMAN
November 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
I was up in Ontario in a place called SudburryI almost froze to death. As a matter of fact, that may be the reason I moved from NY to SC:crazyguy

I was looking on Ebay and saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220512928137&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sudbury is a long way north from where I live. At least 5 to 6 hours by car.
Where I live is as far south as southern Oregon/Northern California. We get great weather, some winter but no where near as cold as Sudbury.
I lived in NC for 3 months, and vacationed in SC for 20 years so you gotta love the climate down there.
As far as the guitar being so expensive. It is a mint conditon 34 year old guitar. I would not take less than 3 grand for my 68.

Neal
November 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I hear ya ZMan. The guitar is pristine. We cleaned the pots yesterday, and this thing plays amazing. it sounds better in my JVM, than my Fenders. I'll get some pictures of it up as soon as I can.

By the way. The pots were dated 1970. The guitar is a 1970, or as they put it , an early 71.

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Neal: What neck profile does it have? Mine is a very thick profile, and because of that I think it has retained it's playablility all these years without any adjustments. I has always had one of the lowest actions of any guitar I own. Mine has the compensated stop tail piece without the adjutable bridge and the vibrolo. You can see it in my pictures.
If you don't mind, did you get a good deal on it compared to the one on Ebay.
In other words I don't really need to know what you paid for it. I just like to keep tabs on what they are worth now.
I found one of the old 70s Protector cases for it. The big thick plastic ones.
I found it NOS at a music shop in the 80s still in the box.
I will be interested to see the pictures.
Oh yea, mine is all original, and still has the P90s in it. I was tempted in the 80s to change them for a set of humbuckers and a guitar tech talked me out of it. I am glad he did. The only thing I am missing is the original 10/32 chromed slot head screw and washer to hold the vibrolo arm on. I have a replacement, but the originals are long gone.

Neal
November 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Neal: What neck profile does it have? Mine is a very thick profile, and because of that I think it has retained it's playablility all these years without any adjustments. I has always had one of the lowest actions of any guitar I own. Mine has the compensated stop tail piece without the adjutable bridge and the vibrolo. You can see it in my pictures.
If you don't mind, did you get a good deal on it compared to the one on Ebay.
In other words I don't really need to know what you paid for it. I just like to keep tabs on what they are worth now.
I found one of the old 70s Protector cases for it. The big thick plastic ones.
I found it NOS at a music shop in the 80s still in the box.
I will be interested to see the pictures.
Oh yea, mine is all original, and still has the P90s in it. I was tempted in the 80s to change them for a set of humbuckers and a guitar tech talked me out of it. I am glad he did. The only thing I am missing is the original 10/32 chromed slot head screw and washer to hold the vibrolo arm on. I have a replacement, but the originals are long gone.

I Would consider the neck to be fast. Not much difference in that neck, and the one on my Tele.
The purchace on this Guitar could be classed as legal stealing.
This guitar is in immaculate condition. It also came with the original case. This one came equipped with humbuckers.
I played at Church today, thru a Twin, and it was amazing.

ZMAN
November 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yes with the economy the way it is there are a lot of really good deals to be had in musical instruments. It is nice to know what you have though. It would be bad if you didn't know how valuable it was and let it go for a small profit. I have picked up a couple of Gibsons in the last year for very reasonable prices, and both the seller and buyer (me) were happy.
Pics to follow I hope.

Neal
November 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
One Day I'll photo all of my guitars and get them on here.

The funny thing is that I really was not really looking to buy another guitar.
The same thing happened at the same place, when I picked up my 1978 Fender P Bass.
Some of them guys are actually looking out for me now.