PDA

View Full Version : NGD at last

NWBasser
November 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Well, it seems the first Epi Paul I got was a bit of dud with some fret issues.

But, here's my newest electric guitar along with my "black" collection.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/blackandtan001.jpg

I'm really digging playing leads on the neck pickup. I've never tried that much before and it sounds sweet.

hubberjub
November 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Congrats man. Looks great.

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Looks nice! Congrats on the new axe!

ZMAN
November 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Did I miss something? You said your first Epi had some fret issues. Is this one a replacement. The black looks cool. Have you thought about a black pickguard. It would look killer, all black.
The stock Epi pickups are pretty close to the Gibbys. They run about the same readings as the 490 498 combos. The neck pickup is pretty mellow at around 8, and the bridge around 13.5.
They really are pretty good guitars for the money. I have owned 3 and I currently have an Elitist LP Custom. A really sweet guitar.

NWBasser
November 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Did I miss something? You said your first Epi had some fret issues. Is this one a replacement. The black looks cool. Have you thought about a black pickguard. It would look killer, all black.
The stock Epi pickups are pretty close to the Gibbys. They run about the same readings as the 490 498 combos. The neck pickup is pretty mellow at around 8, and the bridge around 13.5.
They really are pretty good guitars for the money. I have owned 3 and I currently have an Elitist LP Custom. A really sweet guitar.

Thanks guys!

Yep, that one's the replacement. The first one was used and after trying many adjustments, it seemed to need a good fret job. I figured to make it play right would be around $100 and so for close to the same amount, I returned it and got a brand new one with the lifetime warranty. The warranty may be a good one or not. I'm not sure how good Epiphone is about those things.

As a disclaimer, I don't know a whole lot about guitar pickups. I go mostly by what I hear. I generally prefer humbuckers and have noted that the "hot" pickups like the SD Invader and whatever was in my old HM strat are too cranky when playing clean. The Duncan Designs in my Schecter have good tone, but not enough definition.

The pups in this Epi, Alnico 5's (I think), sound like the right amount of thickness while maintaining definition. My ears say they're just right. I won't be swapping them.

I primarily play bass and this Epi Paul is just about perfect for the limited amount of guitar playing that I do.

The neck profile, weight, tone, and low action are just what I wanted in guitar and I'm happy as a clam.

The problem is that the da*# thing's been cutting into my bass time.

bigG
November 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Congrats, man! :applause

I have an Epi LP Standard from 2006 that looks exactly like your new one. The stock pups are fantastic (was gonna change 'em to BurstBuckers, but as soon as I heard those stock 'buckers, that idea went right out the window - and 3 of my guitar playing friends agreed!)

For the $, you can't buy a better LP! (And, for alot more $, either! Not incl the more expensive Gibby's, I guess, but mine has never had a problem w the finish issue - cracking, orange-peeling, checking...just saying...)

Truly a great LP, at twice the price or more!

ZMAN
November 21st, 2009, 03:12 PM
NW I agree with you on the stock pickups sounding great. Since you have one with a great low action, that is a bonus. Maybe you are ready to start playing lead! I have been impressed by the Epi LPs over the years and I really think they are the best bang for the buck guitars out there. There are not many guitars that come as close to the real Gibby for 1/4 the price.
You are correct about the 100 dollars for a fret job. I bought a "Vintage Icon" gold top, for around 400 bucks and then had to have a 100 dollar fret job. In the end it was one of the best playing guitars I own. Wilkinson P90 pickups and a beautiful neck.
But if your new Epi feels right I hope you enjoy it to death.

NWBasser
November 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I still love playing bass, but, dang this guitar is a heap of fun.

It seems my favorite guitarists; A. Lifeson, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Warren Haynes, etc. use Les Pauls and this one has that very distinctive tone of singing sustain that made the model famous.

The fretwork is decent, but not great. The electronics and hardware are really impressive for the price point.

I may eventually take into Mike Lull to get it Plek'd. I think that would make it about perfect.

Playing lead?? I dunno.

I do play lead occassionally when I jam with others but enjoy chordwork just as much. I guess the bass player part of me is always trying to stick to the rhythm.

OTOH, I have been playing along with some Allman's lately and really digging the melodic leads.....