PDA

View Full Version : Larrivee?

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Has anyone had any experience with Larrivee guitars?

How are their 03 series guitars?

markb
November 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
I've got a first series parlour, sometimes called P-01 (but not by Larrivee). Although its a "cheap" model, the construction is absolutely flawless.
The 3 series are great guitars with a similar vibe, nothing fancy just good timber and good luthiery. The L body is a really nice hybrid between dread and OM.

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
There was a D-03R in the shop that closed here that I lusted for a long time. Shop closed before I was ready to buy, or I might have ended up with it. A nice, satin finish, rosewood dread. Great neck (I really got along with that neck), nice looking guitar, nice looking headstock, good colors, nice sound. Not truly a Martin sound, not truly a Taylor sound, more a Larrivee sound. And that was a good thing!

I believe Algonquin is a proud owner of one, though I think it is an OM size.

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys, I am considering a used L03, if I can get one for a good price.

Algonquin
November 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
A used L-03 in good condition is and excellent guitar for the money. I'm very happy with mine. Are you looking at a particular model, or just cruising the classifieds?

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Algonquin, I'm just cruising the classifieds.

I don't need a pickup.

Algonquin
November 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Have fun searching... saddle or sound hole pickups can always be added down the road if you ever find yourself needing/wanting one.

Cheers :beer:

tjcurtin1
November 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
I bought an OM-3 and had it for a few weeks. A beautiful guitar all around, but at home it didn't sound the way it had in the shop (possible influence of in-the-moment guitar lust???), and I was looking for a bigger sound that I ultimately found in my Tacoma. I also liked the D-03 and thought that the L-03 would be a nice possibility but didn't cotton to it's sound compared to the D and the OM. I would strongly suggest that you play them - and any model that you are thinking about - before buying.

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Ted.

Since I would be buying used, I don't think that I get a chance to play it first.

tjcurtin1
November 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Ted.

Since I would be buying used, I don't think that I get a chance to play it first.
See if you can find one in a local shop (are they still making that model?) Also, esp if you want a made-in-north-America guitar, I strongly suggest that you try Seagull's 'Artist Mosaic' line. The one I tried (cedar and Mahog) was one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever held - gorgeous woods and workmanship, and a lovely warm sound. I was just looking for rosewood as it turned out - I was loathe to send the Seagull back, but since I can only afford one really good guitar.... BTW, doing much with your Johnson? Oops.. sorry if that sounds rude, but you know what I mean...

tot_Ou_tard
November 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Too late. Just got a great deal on an new Seagull Artist Studio (Solid Rosewood/Spruce).

If my son doesn't like it, then it's mine

My Johnson is patiently waiting until I learn to slide. ;)

sunvalleylaw
November 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Too late. Just got a great deal on an new Seagull Artist Studio (Solid Rosewood/Spruce). ;)

If my son doesn't like it, then it's mine ;)

My Johnson is patiently waiting until I learn to slide smoothly from the head(stock) to the body. ;)

Congrats! There is a Seagull dealer near here, and I always liked the look and apparent quality, but they never had anything but the cedar tops, etc. No rosewood/spruce, and that was the sound I wanted. I would love to hear one of their R/S models sometime.

evenkeel
November 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Too late. Just got a great deal on an new Seagull Artist Studio (Solid Rosewood/Spruce). ;)
If my son doesn't like it, then it's mine ;)

Congrats Tot. Hope your son likes it. Then again, if not you get it, so you win either way. :AOK

Like SVL all the Seagulls I've played have been cedar tops. Cedar, regardless of brand, never really grabbed me.

tot_Ou_tard
November 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks Sun & 'keel.

The guitar is new & I can return it within a few days if I don't like it. I plan on having it checked out by a luthier.

tjcurtin1
November 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Congrats, ToT - I bet you'll love it. I'd like to hear a Seagull R/S too. I tried the cedar top because I love the sound of my Art & Lutherie (another Godin/Seagull brand) cedar top. In the end, the Seagull sounded so similar to the A&L it didn't make sense to have both.

bigG
November 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Congrats, tot! Everything I've read and heard abt Seagull is very positive. Unfortunately, in this little berg I live in, no one carries Seagull, or Godin, or Larrivee...or Collings, or, etc, etc...

No doubt it's a great guitar! :applause

tot_Ou_tard
November 24th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Yeah, its hard to try these things out. We'll see.

tjcurtin1
December 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
So, Tot - what's the word on the new Seagull?

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I love it & so does my son.

So much, in fact, that I got myself an Artist Studio Burst (spruce/rosewood)
at a great price.

I didn't think much of the looks online, but in person she's a beaut!

It's quite fun to play an acoustic.