PDA

View Full Version : Guild?

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Any fretters have experience with the Guild GAD series acoustics?

bigG
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
tot, I bought a Guild GAD JF-48 Jumbo in 2006, and I love it! Especially for the street price of $749 w gorgeous HSC. Short story: just a few weeks back, I took it to Guitar Chris for a re-string. He has a Martin Jumbo on the floor streeting at $3,000 w HSC. The two guitars look eerily similar except for the headstock (and are basically the same tonewoods, solid spruce and solid mahog, same scale-length). After the re-string, Chris and I compared my Guild in sound quality and playability to the Martin. The difference between the two was SO minute that Chris was totally shocked! I, on the other hand, was totally thrilled!

Here's a clip from gearwire.com. A review of the Guild GAD-50. It should show and tell everything you want to know abt the GAD series, incl that gorgeous hardshell case, which is shown at vid's end:

http://www.gearwire.com/guild-gad50-demo.html

Hope this helps! I would easily recommend the Hohner Essential series as well as the Guild GAD series (both made in China, and both outstanding guitars).

G

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks bigG!

The maple on your Guild was not too bright?

evenkeel
November 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
I have played a bunch. Liked most, but not all. The 000 size GAD30's have really stood out for me. Great tone, workmanship looks very good. The wide 1 3/4" nut is a struggle for me, but many will like it. Most of the GAD dreads I have played did not impress me as much. Sound was a bit thin, did not have the brightness or oomph I like in a dread. I have never played a jumbo GAD.

One dread I did like is a GAD 12 string, sunburst I spotted in a pawn shop just yesterday. Great tone and a much easier player than my last 12. I've been thinking I might go back for a second look and some serious negotiation. :thwap

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I noticed the 1 3/4" nut. This would be for my son with smallish hands, so maybe that's not a good plan.