PDA

View Full Version : New Bass (Strings) Day!

marnold
November 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
A friend of mine was heading near the closest GC, so I had him pick up some bass strings for me. I had tried Rotosounds but was not terribly impressed. I'm not sure if I got a bad set or what it is. They looked and played rather dull for stainless strings. Anyway, I had him get a set of DR Hi-Beams. They are pretty highly regarded on the TalkBass forums. Now I know why. My bass is suddenly brighter, more articulate, and growlier. Hopefully they last decently. Only time will tell on that one. I'm glad I tried these because now I don't think I really need new pups at all.

NWBasser
November 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah!

Strings make a HUGE difference in bass tone. Much more so than guitar.

I use DR Fat Beams on my fretted basses. Pricey, but well worth it for me. The tone is awesome and they feel just right. Perfect tension and texture. The DR's usually last quite long.

Something that I always suggest, if you're playing in a hard rock band, is to try flats. Solo'ed, they sound rather dull and boring. But in a hard rock band mix, flats bring out the fundamental of the note and really fit in incredibly well. With rounds, many of the overtone series get lot in the guitar wash and you don't really hear that much of the "sizzle". Flats put out much more of the fundamental tones and can really thicken up a mix rather than trying to compete for sonic space with the guitars.

marnold
November 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
As I understand it the only difference between Hi Beams and Fat Beams are the winding speed.

My only concern with trying flats is that my bass has EMG SSD (think EMG HZ) humbuckers which tend to be darker, but growlier than the typical vintage P or J. I'm afraid I would descend into mudsville. Plus, I'd like to get into a bit of slap at some point. You can theoretically do that with flats, but it loses something in the translation.

Another thing about these Hi Beams that I like is that they seem to be lower tension than the Rotosounds were without feeling sloppy. I can do some bending/vibrato a lot easier.

NWBasser
November 22nd, 2009, 12:20 AM
I only suggest using flats only if you're playing regularly with a rock and/or blues band. They mix very well with guitar and drums, but no, can't really do slapping/popping with them.

I use them on a fretless PJ and it really fills the low-end with a strong fundamental which adds rhythmic "value" to the drums. Great for blues, reggae, and a lot of rock. Not so much for funk or prog rock.

I don't think I could use flats if I had only one bass, but it's nice option for those certain situations where you want a really solid rhythm with the drummer.

FWIW, two of my basses sport Fat Beams. The DR's have amazing tone and feel. The tension is just right.

marnold
November 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think I could use flats if I had only one bass, but it's nice option for those certain situations where you want a really solid rhythm with the drummer.

FWIW, two of my basses sport Fat Beams. The DR's have amazing tone and feel. The tension is just right.
Since I only have one bass (and likely never will have more than one) I went with rounds for pretty much the reasons you mentioned. I've one played flats once. It was on a used fretless I was trying.

Yeah, I think these Hi Beams are a winner for me. If there's a "problem" it's that I keep wanting to play my bass instead of practicing guitar.

EnglishJW
January 6th, 2010, 10:46 PM
You've convinced me - I have to try this out on my bass. Thanks.

marnold
January 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
You've convinced me - I have to try this out on my bass. Thanks.
Try 'em. I think you'll like them. To be honest, I was not expecting much. I figured it would be an expensive test before switching back to GHS. I'm glad I tried them. I guess there's a reason why so many people on TalkBass like them!

I will say this: the difference in core (hex vs. round) in the Rotos vs. the DRs has a substantial impact on the tension. Even though I stayed with the same gauge, it felt like I dropped back a gauge. I like it and it definitely doesn't make them too floppy for me. Just something to be aware of.