PDA

View Full Version : Callaham steel block install question.

Tone2TheBone
September 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
For those of you mighty Strat slingers who have one and installed it yourself...is it really necessary to put the arm on while you put on the bridge plate as the instructions say? I'm thinking the only reason Bill suggests doing this is to take up slack between the plate and the arm so it won't swing around freely. Is this why?

tremoloman
September 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I didn't receive any instructions to do that, but then again none of the 6 steel blocks I've installed have the new enhanced "pop-in" model you got. Perhaps this may be a new requirement of the enhanced model.

I can't see how you could damage it by not having it installed while assembling it to your bridge. After all, it is just a steel block with some holes drilled in it.

I'll gladly trade you for the older style model which doesn’t have this requirement if you wish! :)

-trem

P.S. Would you please take a picture of the old and new block side by side so the rest of the members can see just how awesome these blocks are in comparison to the crappy MIM?

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I didn't receive any instructions to do that, but then again none of the 6 steel blocks I've installed have the new enhanced "pop-in" model you got. Perhaps this may be a new requirement of the enhanced model.

I can't see how you could damage it by not having it installed while assembling it to your bridge. After all, it is just a steel block with some holes drilled in it.

I'll gladly trade you for the older style model which doesn’t have this requirement if you wish! :)

-trem

P.S. Would you please take a picture of the old and new block side by side so the rest of the members can see just how awesome these blocks are in comparison to the crappy MIM?

I just PM'd you. I mentioned that I did take pictures of the whole process of installation to post here but that I left the camera at home. :o I'll post them later. I didn't put the arm in as the instructions mentioned cause I didn't see any advantage to do it. The plate doesn't move at all from the hole locations once you start the screws. The whole process took me only 20 minutes with me taking pics as I went.

tremoloman
September 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I just PM'd you. I mentioned that I did take pictures of the whole process of installation to post here but that I left the camera at home. :o I'll post them later. I didn't put the arm in as the instructions mentioned cause I didn't see any advantage to do it. The plate doesn't move at all from the hole locations once you start the screws. The whole process took me only 20 minutes with me taking pics as I went.Awesome T2TB! Thanks for taking the time to take some pictures. I had planned on doing this the next time I do an upgrade, but you've beat me to the punch.

Since you did this part, I'll take on the task of doing some before & after soundclips. I'm going to install one in my SX SST62 in a couple of weeks along with a new set of pickups I got in a trade.

Cranium
September 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Will this block fit in all/most Fender strat models?

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Here are photos I took during the installation of the Callaham Steel Tremolo block.

Obviously the first thing I did was to take off the strings to prep for the removal of the trem...

This is a shot of the Callaham block before it was installed. A nice big solid piece of cold rolled steel. Yowza....

Next I took the springs off the claw in the cavity of the trem...

Once the springs are out you can start taking the bridge screws off the body...

This is what the bridge/trem assembly looks like off the guitar...

I have to post a second time for the other set of photos because I can only upload and attach 5 photos at a time. Go to the other post to view....

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Continuation:

Here is a side by side comparison of the stock pot metal trem block and the Callaham Steel block. A whole 5 ounce difference in weight.

Start taking out the string saddles one by one and place them somewhere on the side in the order you took them out so you can put them back in the same way otherwise you'll have to readjust the string saddle heights...

After the string saddles are off you can then take the bridge plate screws out. The photo was taken with the assembly still in the cavity because I didn't have a 3rd hand to take the photo with and turn the screwdriver. :) You can do this part with the unit out in your hand.

And this is what the bridge plate looks like without the saddles and trem block.

And finally attach the new steel screws that come on the Callaham to the bridge plate and go backwards and reinstall all the saddles and body screws. You will have to reintonate your guitar unless you cleverly marked where your saddles were before taking them off.

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Last shot of the trem installed with springs attached and ready to be strung.

The oddball spring in the photo was one I had laying around. I had lost the original spring somewhere...but you get the "picture." :)

Notice that the string holes are bore'd such that the ball ends of the strings will sit just below the surface of the bottom of the trem block. This means more energy is transfered to the strings due to the longer length inside the block. How does it sound? Louder and tighter with more sustain. I highly recommend replacing your blocks.

tremoloman
September 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Excellent pictures and posts T2TB! That guitar is goregous!
What kind of camera did you take those pics with? They came out awesome!

Tone2TheBone
September 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks man. It's a Nikon Coolpix 4200. I ran it in Macro mode with flash on.

duhvoodooman
September 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Wow, good thread & nice pix, T2TB! :DR

M29
September 9th, 2006, 05:52 PM
That was great, I am glad to see the Callaham block mine looks pretty close, I see they use a full size block and I wondered if it would fit properly because the original has the cut out area.

I think if I can drill out my blocks broken drill I can add some weld or epoxy to put the hole back to the correct size, redrill, and I will be good to go.

Awesome, thank you very much for your time taking these nice sharp pictures.

M29

Tone2TheBone
September 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm glad to be of help. I know I sure have picked tremoloman's brains for the past couple of weeks I own him a great deal of thanks! Now I want to hear his sound clips. :) I'll eventually do some although they won't be before and after clips. Bring on the sound clips Trem!

Tinky-Winky
September 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I was wondering about whether the stock bridge and saddles would also make a difference to the sound. The thing is, if they were made from poor metal, then mightn't the sound of the quality tremolo block be somewhat reduced?

EDIT: Have a look down this page and have a look at the drill bits below the cobalt. You can certainly drill your broken bit out with a harder bit.
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

Spudman
September 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Hey Tone.

Do you happen to have the ability or did you measure the distance between the holes (center to center)?

I am curious what the measurements are because it would be great to be able to change the blocks on the Squier Strats as well. Usually the measurements on their hardware can differ slightly from USA or Mexican hardware.

If the specs are the same then the Squier Special Edition Strats are an even better bargain once the trem block is replaced.

Tone2TheBone
September 10th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I was wondering about whether the stock bridge and saddles would also make a difference to the sound. The thing is, if they were made from poor metal, then mightn't the sound of the quality tremolo block be somewhat reduced?.....

You cannot reduce from quality that already IS. :) This is a big steel block man! The Callaham steel block is going to be a huge improvement over the crappy 5 oz. zinc housing (not even gonna call it a block). And if you opt to get the steel saddles and screws to go with it then you can't go wrong. It's all good.

Tone2TheBone
September 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Hey Tone.

Do you happen to have the ability or did you measure the distance between the holes (center to center)?

I am curious what the measurements are because it would be great to be able to change the blocks on the Squier Strats as well. Usually the measurements on their hardware can differ slightly from USA or Mexican hardware.

If the specs are the same then the Squier Special Edition Strats are an even better bargain once the trem block is replaced.

S - All I know is that the Mexican Standard blocks fit the 2 1/16 string spacing for MIM guitars. I don't know what the Squiers have. Someone probably has already requested steel blocks from Bill for Squiers. If they haven't I'd be really surprised. I'll contact him and ask. Can you imagine how many more he would sell if he did?

tremoloman
September 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM
T2TB:
Thanks for the props, but it's you who took the time to post those great pictures. All I did was nag you to give the Callaham a try. :) I promise to post some sound clips as soon as I can. My recorder is in the studio and my bass player is keeping it so he can mix our recordings during the week. It should be soon!

Tinky-Winky:
The Callaham saddles are SO much better than the stockers. The difference between the quality is night and day. The saddles alone will improve your tone and reduce string breakage, but the block is what makes the most difference. If you can only go for one of the two, it's really worth getting the block. (Callaham saddles are available for both vintage and Mexican spacing).

Spudman:
I can't speak for all Squiers, but I discovered that a MIM bridge plate fit my Jagmaster to a "T". Using the MIM bridge plate, I was able to install a Callaham block without any trouble.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
T2TB:
Thanks for the props, but it's you who took the time to post those great pictures. All I did was nag you to give the Callaham a try. :) I promise to post some sound clips as soon as I can. My recorder is in the studio and my bass player is keeping it so he can mix our recordings during the week. It should be soon!

Tinky-Winky:
The Callaham saddles are SO much better than the stockers. The difference between the quality is night and day. The saddles alone will improve your tone and reduce string breakage, but the block is what makes the most difference. If you can only go for one of the two, it's really worth getting the block. (Callaham saddles are available for both vintage and Mexican spacing).

Spudman:
I can't speak for all Squiers, but I discovered that a MIM bridge plate fit my Jagmaster to a "T". Using the MIM bridge plate, I was able to install a Callaham block without any trouble.

I'm going to go all the way and order some saddles from Bill. Can't hurt none. I'm glad you were there to support the endeavor Trem. :)

I hadn't thought about using an MIM bridge saddle on a Squier thats a good idea. I don't have a Squier but for these guys that do I'm thinking that would work. Great idea.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
September 12th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Excellent Post T2TB ... the best bang for the buck guitar mod out there ..the saddles are worth the extra bucks too , the callaham tele bridge and compensated brass saddles are highly recommended too ..6S9L

Nelskie
September 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Great post, T2TB. I know you and I have exchanged some dialogue re: the Callaham trem block awhile back, and I'm glad to hear you went ahead and changed yours out. The one I have in my MIM Classic 60's Strat has made a HUGE difference in tone, and I eventually plan on replacing the stock units on both of my (2) Squier Strats with Callaham blocks.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Great post, T2TB. I know you and I have exchanged some dialogue re: the Callaham trem block awhile back, and I'm glad to hear you went ahead and changed yours out. The one I have in my MIM Classic 60's Strat has made a HUGE difference in tone, and I eventually plan on replacing the stock units on both of my (2) Squier Strats with Callaham blocks.

Thanks man for your help and input! Right now I'm talking Spud into them. :)

Spudman
September 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks man for your help and input! Right now I'm talking Spud into them. :)
Ya, maybe I can set the record for the guy with the most Callaham tremolo blocks. I can see a new wing in the house opening up. :D

Spudman
September 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Bill Callaham replied to my question:

Will your tremolo blocks fit the two post Squier bridges?

Bill:

"Dear Steve,

Sorry, they do not.

Sorry we couldn't help,

Bill Callaham"

How is that for a wide open market? Any fretters want to go into business?

Spudman
September 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM
After some discourse with Bill Callaham he asked me to send him one of my bridges. So...we may yet see a replacement Callaham tremolo block for Squier two post tremolo bridges.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Spudster - Trem said something about changing out the bridge entirely on the Squiers to a MIM in order to get the Callaham to fit. You could do that if you wanted to...unless Bill does make you a Squier block. I can't believe he doesn't make them now someone better jump on that production as you noted!

Spudman
September 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Bill sent me his address today so I'm sending in one of my 2 post Squier bridges.

The MIM bridges are a 6 screw design. I want to stay 2 post. Besides, this is a great new market for Bill. Just think of what I might be starting. "Gonna be starting something/gonna be starting something/ he he". *spins and tips hat with white gloved hand*

Tone2TheBone
September 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Spud - oh yeah thats right duh. My brain is in vintage trem mode. Didn't think about the 2 point trems sawry! :)

Spudman
October 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Got a reply from Bill Callaham today.

Dear Steve,

We received your bridge yesterday. None of our production blocks will work. So they would have to be custom. A single block would be $180.00 plus shipping. If you get 4 blocks the price would drop to $130.00 per block plus shipping. Let us know what you decide. We would set them up like our production blocks to use our virtual pop-in arm or any vintage style Fender arm. Let us know what you decide.

Bill Callaham

Ya right! Like I'm going to pay all his tooling and production costs just so he can make money off of my idea. Not going to happen. Maybe it's time I went into business myself.

Tone2TheBone
October 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Thats crazy. I can't believe he doesn't make blocks to fit Squiers and would charge triple the price to make one!

SuperSwede
October 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
180 usd for a trem block? What is it made of, gold?

Tone2TheBone
October 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
180 usd for a trem block? What is it made of, gold?

Maybe Bill feels that there aren't enough people with Squiers that would actually feel the need to order a block from him. So if someone wants one bad enough he'll charge them whatever he wants for it?

tremoloman
October 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
The cost is so high because he will have to build a custom program and template just for this one job. I used to work in precision metal and I know what a PITA it can be to set stuff up like this.

Yuo should see if a MIM bridge fits your Squier. I used a MIM bridge plate on my Squier and then put a MIM Callaham block on it. Worked like a charm for $60. :)

Spudman
October 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
The cost is so high because he will have to build a custom program and template just for this one job. I used to work in precision metal and I know what a PITA it can be to set stuff up like this.

Yuo should see if a MIM bridge fits your Squier. I used a MIM bridge plate on my Squier and then put a MIM Callaham block on it. Worked like a charm for $60. :)

Sure but it's the same PITA that he had to go through to start making blocks in the first place. All he would have to do is to make a batch - sell them, which would be no problem - recoup his cost and make a profit.

Other bridges would fit except that I'd have to drill for a 6 screw if I go MIM or fill holes and re-drill for posts using any other 2 post system. The Squier Standard and Special Edition are two post.

I'll probably find someone who will make me 50 and then I'll sell them myself. Who knows?

Tinky-Winky
October 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
180 dollars on a guitar that costs 200 just isn't worth it...I'd replace the bridge with a MIM like tremoloman advises (unless you can make one yourself).

tremoloman
October 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Sure but it's the same PITA that he had to go through to start making blocks in the first place. All he would have to do is to make a batch - sell them, which would be no problem - recoup his cost and make a profit.

Other bridges would fit except that I'd have to drill for a 6 screw if I go MIM or fill holes and re-drill for posts using any other 2 post system. The Squier Standard and Special Edition are two post.

I'll probably find someone who will make me 50 and then I'll sell them myself. Who knows?Unfortunately, Squiers aren't consistent. You can find the same exact model with different specs quite easily.

Spudman
October 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Unfortunately, Squiers aren't consistent. You can find the same exact model with different specs quite easily.

True. But the Standards 2 post tremolo's are all the same. No difference there.

tremoloman
October 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM
True. But the Standards 2 post tremolo's are all the same. No difference there.Are you sure? I found the string spacing between my girlfriends 2-poster to be different than my friend's Squier.

Tinky-Winky
October 8th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Aren't the standards made in both Indonesia and China. If so, this might explain the differences.

Spudman
October 8th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Aren't the standards made in both Indonesia and China. If so, this might explain the differences.

That could be. All mine are Chinese and there is no difference. Anyone have an Indonesian that they can measure the post spacing on?