PDA

View Full Version : Songwriter Seminar

street music
November 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I attended my first songwriter's seminar last night. DEAN Dillon was the featured writer and did a fantastic job of explaining some details to putting together a song from the Hook to the finish. The man is so gifted but so down to earth he made just feel like a jam session without your guitar. We came up with words and he laid down the tune, then he took some of the #1 songs that he has written and told how each came about from verse to chorus.
Who else has the desire to write?

evenkeel
November 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I've been plugging away at song writing for a bit over a year. Have managed to put together, sort of, maybe 6 tunes. A workshop like you describe sounds great. I could definatley use some guidance and structure. I just sort of blunder along with a riff, or maybe a few words and somehow cobble something together. :thwap

I was at a bar last night and watched a local singer songwriter play. Great voice, good lyrics, catchy melodies. Nothing fancy guitar wise, lots of first position major chords, yet it sounded fresh and unique.

pes_laul
November 22nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
I am big into songwriting. Ive written like 20 something.

street music
November 23rd, 2009, 05:50 AM
I have been getting the ideas of several songs and will now start working on some lines, I'll give it a try. Good to see that someone else is working at it too, I don't have a great guitar ability yet but maybe it will come with the songs.:what

Algonquin
November 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'd love to attend something like that. Nothing so militant saying you must do this followed by that, but a discussion of ideas and suggestions would be great for me.

I've got a few songs waiting to be pieced together, but what I think I really need to do is give writing lyrics a shot to go along with the music. Most of the bits and pieces I have for songs seem to be around the two minute mark which is too short for a song. Adding lyrics would allow for some repetition of verses and chorus's without the song coming across as overly drawn out... or boring.

Writing lyrics would be tough for me, but how they are worked into the song and presented would be a struggle as well. I guess the only way for me to learn is to jump in and give it a go... what do I have to loose.

Great post Street!
Cheers :beer:

Rampant
November 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Yes matey, I have a desire to write...

Sounds like you had a good experience in the seminar.

I'm not yet comfortable enough with music to actually begin composing with any confidence. However, I have written a few poems and poetic verses through the years...

I guess poems would require a little alteration to be made into songs. Repetition of chorus, for instance... That said, some of my favourite songs are what I would describe as "sheer poetry". :)

Since taking up guitar just over a year ago I do have a few musical ideas whirling around inside my noggin. Will I ever turn my desire to songwrite into action, though??? Dunno.

vroomery
November 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I've been writing songs for a while. It started when I was younger and had no idea what i was doing and certainly didn't have enough life experience to have any decent lyrical content. I feel like my songs have a gotten better in the last few years. Maybe I'll do some demo's and post them up here in a bit.

Algonquin
November 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Street, you've inspired me to do a little research either online, or from my local library to read up on this (if it's available)
Thanks for the motivation.
Cheers :beer:
David

street music
November 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
David, you are welcome. My friend that went with me has really been inspired to take a more detailed look at his songwriting methods as that was a point that Dean Dillon stressed several times, " Write a superior song rather than just a poem, use complex words where possible over simple words". It's like a fishing trip, SET THE HOOK in the first few words and that draws someone to listen for the rest of the song.

Rampant
November 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
David, you are welcome. My friend that went with me has really been inspired to take a more detailed look at his songwriting methods as that was a point that Dean Dillon stressed several times, " Write a superior song rather than just a poem, use complex words where possible over simple words". It's like a fishing trip, SET THE HOOK in the first few words and that draws someone to listen for the rest of the song.

Don't necessarily agree with the complex words part. The fascination for me with poetry is the complex words and use of language. To my mind a song doesn't actually need this. Complex words may even be detrimental. The use of language is the key I would've thought. Not the fancy pants words...

Any comments???

Kodiak3D
November 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Don't necessarily agree with the complex words part. The fascination for me with poetry is the complex words and use of language. To my mind a song doesn't actually need this. Complex words may even be detrimental. The use of language is the key I would've thought. Not the fancy pants words...

Any comments???

I'd actually tend to agree with you, but it may be a function of what style of music you're writing. Either way, I don't like to hear a song then need a dictionary afterward to figure out what it means.