PDA

View Full Version : Gibson ES335

just strum
November 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Went to a music store at lunch today and came across a 1994 ES 335. It's a new guitar, not used. It was love at first sight (except the $3500 price tag).

It had a tag noting it as an ES335-A, but I haven't found anything on that model designation. I'm going back tomorrow to get the serial number and ask to see all the paperwork.

When I went back to work I could not get this thing out of my mind. Folks, this may be it. This just might be "the one".

Looks like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Gibson_ES-335_sunburst.jpg

ZMAN
November 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Interesting. Does it have gold hardware or is that just the picture. Please JS take the 24 hours to think it over. I am sure you could buy two ES335s in this market for that amount of money. Also how can it be new and 15 years old. I know how it is when you get the G.A.S. for a guitar. It is pretty though.

Kazz
November 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Don't listen to Z.....buy it strum....then turn around and sell it for a loss :-)

just strum
November 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I hear ya. Well, the $3500 will certainly prevent a hasty decision.

I'll get more information on the guitar

1) Paperwork
2) Serial#
3) How did it go this long while remaining "new".

I could not find a single scratch on it. The pick-ups need cleaning, but they are not pitted.

According to the store owner it was built in Nashville.

No, the one I looked at did not have gold hardware (personally not a fan of gold).

Where are the ES335's made today? I heard Samick is making all of the Gibsons now and that Nashville is nothing more than a sales gimmick for Gibson. I have no clue. The guy that owns the store seems very knowledgeable, but a bore to listen to (his delivery just puts you to sleep).

I doubt I would be going $3500 for this guitar unless I find something about it that makes it unique and possibly increase in value faster than the average 335. Then again, if I bought it and I liked it, I wouldn't sell it.

Blaze
November 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/31/1555652/Gas.jpg

tjcurtin1
November 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/31/1555652/Gas.jpg
:rollover

EDIT: Sorry, Strum... both for laughing at Blaze's gag and for your painful GAS as well.

Neal
November 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Went to a music store at lunch today and came across a 1994 ES 335. It's a new guitar, not used. It was love at first sight (except the $3500 price tag).

It had a tag noting it as an ES335-A, but I haven't found anything on that model designation. I'm going back tomorrow to get the serial number and ask to see all the paperwork.

When I went back to work I could not get this thing out of my mind. Folks, this may be it. This just might be "the one".

Looks like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Gibson_ES-335_sunburst.jpg

I know the feeling.
Only thing is, I was dumb enough to buy 5 Gibsons, when money was tight, but I never was sorry I did it:happy

wingsdad
November 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM
edit:
Nashville? I thought they made (or now make) the semi-hollows in Memphis...the s/n will reveal the year, month & day as well as the factory and production # off the line.

I clipped this from the Blue Book of Electric Guitars, 6th Ed. (1999):

In 1977, Gibson first introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The pattern is as follows:

YDDDYPPP

YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.

The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo numbers were discontinued in 1984.

The Samick thing? That's....incredible. They made Epi semi-hollows when their plant was in Korea (my Sheraton II is one) and they've contracted for some other pieces like some of the John Lennon EJ-160E's with thier Indonesian plant, but...

Mark, when you get the s/n, contact Gibson Customer Service and ask them about it. They should have a record of what dealer they originally sold it to. Ask them that. NOS is one thing, but a '94 is beyond reasonable for a guitar like that. My mom n' pop local GAS station here will sometimes have an expensive piece hang around for a year, but that's just too suspect. Even if it was a 2004...somethin's not adding up.

For that guitar to be a new '94, it must've been sitting forgotten & neglected in a back room somewhere (that happens with big stores...) or in a music shop on a desert island. But Gibson has long required big bucks annual inventory buys of their dealers; they're not a mom n' pop store guitar unless mom n' pop are Bill Gates family members.

I know you seriously, badly, want a 335, man, but good things come to those who wait. That one has you bitten like 'it could be the one', but I think it's probable that you'll find that feeling again with an obviously legit new (or even fairly new) one.

If $3500 were burning a hole in your pocket for a Gibson ES335 and you wanted to be certain of it, I mean this in all honesty & sincerity: check out a Heritage H535. One may be tough to find (check their site for dealers) but it will cost you less than that Gibson, it will have been made in the Gibson Kalamazoo, MI plant by a company of people who haven't forgotten what a great Gibson 335 was and how it was made. And if you wanted to, you could custom order it as you like it. And still be out less than $3500. I know, because I had Willie at ROB here (a Heritage dealer) spec one for me a couple of years ago; I just couldn't pop for $2000 or so at the time. This after a customer traded in one he'd bought from Willie a couple of years earlier that I could've picked up for about $1500...very 'base model'.

Kazz
November 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
The serious question I would have to ask since it is $3500....is is it significantly better than your Dot? What is to be gained here Strum? What is to be gained that could not be had by putting the same pickups in the dot?

Algonquin
November 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
The Heart Wants What The Heart Wants

Blaze
November 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
in residence at Cleveland this vintage one with Bigsby..:drool:

http://www.oodle.com/view/1966-68-gibson-es-335-great-sounding-very-nice-guitar/1644681542/

just strum
November 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Here is the info on the ES335. I will post a pic tonight.

I played it at lunch and I have never played a guitar that felt as good as this. However, I know I can find one for less, but she is a major GAS producrGuitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
January 22nd, 1991
Production Number: 55

Gibson: Nashville

Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Note: Most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee. This facility has an average production rate of 40 guitars a day.

aeolian
November 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I know sometimes nothing but a Gibson will do, but I have a Heritage 535 (their version of the Gibson 335) and it is a terrific guitar. As you likely know Heritage guitars are made by the same employees who used to work at the Gibson factory in Michigan. The advantage of the Heritage is that it is much cheaper than a Gibson.

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/h4.jpg

just strum
November 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM
in residence at Cleveland this vintage one with Bigsby..:drool:

http://www.oodle.com/view/1966-68-gibson-es-335-great-sounding-very-nice-guitar/1644681542/

Blaze, I know how you like throwing temptation in front of me.

It's Cleveland, yes - but it's not Ohio. That guitar is located in Cleveland, Georgia.

As for the ES335 I've been looking at

It needs cleaning, but all I can say is this thing just flat out sings. I know I am not going to buy it due to the price, but I am just in love with the way this thing plays.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/639reva.jpg

I looked it over again today and I cannot find a scratch on it.

Oh well, it is fun to dream.

evenkeel
November 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Great Looking 335. :drool

For grins I looked up the value in the 2009 Vintage Guide.

An ES-335 Reissue, '94 vintage is valued at $2,000 to 2,300.
The custom shop versions (any year in the '90's) are priced between $2,500 to $2,800.

There is a 335 called a "Centennial" that is valued upwards of $3,500. Gold medallion in the hedstock, diamond inlay on the tailpiece, made of cherry.

just strum
November 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Great Looking 335. :drool

For grins I looked up the value in the 2009 Vintage Guide.

An ES-335 Reissue, '94 vintage is valued at $2,000 to 2,300.
The custom shop versions (any year in the '90's) are priced between $2,500 to $2,800.

There is a 335 called a "Centennial" that is valued upwards of $3,500. Gold medallion in the hedstock, diamond inlay on the tailpiece, made of cherry.

What I am trying to figure out - does the fact that it was made in Nashville have any impact on price? The fact that it was made in 1991 and is still new (no previous owner) - does it have any impact on price.

Even if I don't buy it, I find it intriguing. I need to see what else I can find out about its history.

I could gush forever about the feel and sound of this guitar. Most of have had those guitars that we've picked up and everything was just right (except in this case, with the exception of the price). For me, this guitar was magic.

I know the guitar has been on the wall since at least March of this year (the first time I went into the store). What I question is the fact that a lot of people with more guitar knowledge than me have to stumbled across this guitar, yet it is still there.

For Sh*ts and giggles I offered him $2100 cash, but received a cold reaction. Hey, you never know until you ask.

just strum
November 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I...The advantage of the Heritage is that it is much cheaper than a Gibson.

They are very nice guitars, but I wouldn't say "much" cheaper than a Gibson. Although they could be much better than today's Gibson.

evenkeel
November 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
You have likely found this by now, but just in case.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

street music
November 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Strum, I think you tried very hard to pay them a very good price for it. Now the rest is up your family, put it on the once in a lifetime Christmas request list. NIce guitar but I would have a hard time living with my wife if I made that purchase.:spank:

just strum
November 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Strum, I think you tried very hard to pay them a very good price for it. Now the rest is up your family, put it on the once in a lifetime Christmas request list. NIce guitar but I would have a hard time living with my wife if I made that purchase.:spank:

LOL, I hear you (and all of you other folks - except Blaze and Kazz) Street and some others are like the little guy on one shoulder telling me to do the right thing. On the other shoulder is Blaze and Kazz telling me the kids can get their college education from a school that advertises on the matchbook cover.

I know that despite the advise, good intentions are meant from all.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that owns a 335 and he was laughing at my excitement over the 335 performance. Someday I will find the one that makes me smile and I can afford.

However, that won't stop me from having erotic 335 dreams tonight.

Rockette
November 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Simple - If you like it, buy it. Who cares what others think, ain't their money!

just strum
November 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Simple - If you like it, buy it. Who cares what others think, ain't their money!

That is true, but can I get another for less that offers the same satisfaction?

No question on whether I like it or not, just what am I willing to pay and then what are they willing to accept.

However, for now I am playing my Dot and still find it enjoying.

Just finished playing "Move On" -Jet (acoustic song, but Dot makes it even sweeter)

Rockette
November 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Funny observation about guitars - you can pick up two identical models and get a different "vibe" from each. Gotta go with the magic when you can find it.

Blaze
November 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM
LOL, I hear you (and all of you other folks - except Blaze and Kazz) Street and some others are like the little guy on one shoulder telling me to do the right thing. On the other shoulder is Blaze and Kazz telling me the kids can get their college education from a school that advertises on the matchbook cover.

http://architect.journal.googlepages.com/good-evil.jpg

Kazz
November 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hey Strum....Check this out.

http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/showproduct.php/product/16295

wingsdad
November 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I know sometimes nothing but a Gibson will do, but I have a Heritage 535 (their version of the Gibson 335) and it is a terrific guitar. As you likely know Heritage guitars are made by the same employees who used to work at the Gibson factory in Michigan. The advantage of the Heritage is that it is much cheaper than a Gibson.

You sure have a beautiful specimen of the model I referred to. :drool

One of the details in finish that Heritage pays attention to that Gibson apparently does not, perhaps a lesson learned by the ex-Gibsonites who founded the company, is the stained wood pickguard like yours has. It's an option; you could settle for the mandatory plastic one you get with a comparable Gibson 335 for another ... $500-$1,000?

But you get the Gibson logo and mystique in the bargain.

ZMAN
November 26th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hey JS: I am wondering what "The Rest of the Story" is with this 335. How it could never have had an owner since 1991. BTW The black one I own is a 1990, and I agree with you there is something about the tone from these guitars that is just sweet. The neck and the pickups are just amazing. I think it is the fact that they are so responsive. I was told that mine may have the "circuit board" pickups by Bill Lawrence. I have never pulled them but you would be able to tell immediately if they were.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/bill%20lawrence%20circuit%20board%20pickups%20pict ures/KOTRPICS/GtrGear/SGNeckPUP.jpg
According to history they put these in some SGs/LPs/ and 335s.

wingsdad
November 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
The guy is calling a '91 new & wants a new-today going (e.g., MF) price it.

Vintage Guitar Mag's Price Guide (I have the '08 ed. here) puts that guitar ('91-'97) in a value range of Low $1,900 - High $2,200.

VGM's High Value is for "all original, excellent condition with original case".

Strum, you made a righteous offer @ $2,100, because that's on the high side of what the guitar is worth, regardless of whether it's 'new' or used in mint condition.

As sweet as it is, my friend, I don't know you to be a guy who'd throw away $1,300-$1,400 walking out the door with a guitar. (Actually, I doubt if you'd be willing to throw a C-note away...:poke )

Demanding $3,500 for a $2,200 guitar is practically criminal. (at best...the range in value is dependent on the actual market it's sold in, be it on land or via the web) The guy's a crook.

OK, so I suggested looking at a Heritage. My bad. Forget it. Walk away and find the 335 you want, that you've longed for, at a fair price.

ZMAN
November 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Maybe that is why it is still there after 18 years. LOL
Just so you know JS. I paid 2000 Can. for mine because that was what my buddy paid for it brand new in 1990. I was able to give him it piece meal, 500 here 300 there over a 6 month period. It was a museum piece when I got it.
Actually it still is!

wingsdad
November 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
And probably will be for another 18, when it may be worth $3,500...

just strum
November 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
OK, so I suggested looking at a Heritage. My bad. Forget it. Walk away and find the 335 you want, that you've longed for, at a fair price.

Why would you say that. From everything I read, the Heritage is a great guitar, I just don't see that significant of a price difference.

Oh and you are correct, I would get concerned over a C note, just imagine how I would be about $1,300.

Hey JS: I am wondering what "The Rest of the Story" is with this 335. How it could never have had an owner since 1991.

I don't know, but I am searching for more info.

The attraction now is the investigative work and the thrill of negotiation. He has the price so high that it will be interesting how much I can get him to reduce the price. The next time that I go in there (maybe this weekend) I will let him know that he should have jumped on the $2100 because after further research the price has gone down -maybe $1750.

Hey Strum....Check this out.

http://www.tdpri.com/phpclassifieds/showproduct.php/product/16295

Interesting, I will have to look into it just to see where he is willing to go with the price.

wingsdad
November 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Why would you say that. From everything I read, the Heritage is a great guitar, I just don't see that significant of a price difference.
Because you've been all over that Gibson for what seems like an eternity; don't settle if that's the emotional bond thing.

FWIW, though, per the same reference source I used for the 335, a Heritage H535, '87-'99 ranges around A Grand less than the 335. Low $1,100 - High $1,175; same period w/ flamed maple top, Low $1,200 - High $1,275. One from 2000 - '06: Low $1,250 - High $1,350. Seems right, because Willie (ROB) offered me a shot at an '02 about 3 years ago for $1,100 that he was asking $1,200 for. The timing wasn't good financially, as in I was unemployed.

The attraction now is the investigative work and the thrill of negotiation. He has the price so high that it will be interesting how much I can get him to reduce the price. The next time that I go in there (maybe this weekend) I will let him know that he should have jumped on the $2100 because after further research the price has gone down -maybe $1750.

Now you're talking:AOK. If you want me to scan the VGM price guide page for you, just PM or email me. Put the market value facts in his face; land on $2 G's.

If you can find any recently closed/sold bids on e-bay for a similarly aged 335, they're only semi-relevant; depends on where the buyer/seller are from.

In any case, it's only worth what he can get for it. This guy's name isn't Barnum, is it?

tjcurtin1
November 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM
http://architect.journal.googlepages.com/good-evil.jpg

Is that Robert in the red?

ZMAN
November 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Is that Robert in the red?
It might be but the Suhr has a little different headstock!

The Accentrix
June 25th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I've been reading this thread...and was wondering if you ever bought that sweet guitar Just Strum

progrmr
June 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I went to guitar lessons night before last and my instructor had the door to his studio locked - I could hear him wailing away, he was playing at the King of Blues regional finals yesterday. When he opened the door I saw the guitar he was playing - Gibson ES-335.

Such a beautiful guitar, especially in the hands of a pro. Now this same instructor has been telling me that he needs eye surgery for cataracts (sp?) but hasn't been able to save up the money (no health insurance). I was thinking "Well, maybe you should sell that guitar and get your eye fixed".

It's a killer guitar - but for that price there's a lot of other stuff I'd rather have. Personally I think it's pretty crappy for Gibson to put such an obscene price tag on one of the most beautiful and storied styles...you'd think they'd want everyone to have one. At that price - there's a lot fewer people playing them and playing a dot instead.

hubberjub
June 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
How dare Gibson want to make money. :sarcasm I do think that most Gibson guitars are overpriced but I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

progrmr
June 25th, 2010, 12:40 PM
How dare Gibson want to make money. :sarcasm I do think that most Gibson guitars are overpriced but I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

LOL - I don't mind them making money...but $3500?? I'm sure they make a HUGE markup on that.

Not too many people can pay that much for a guitar. Like me :)

hubberjub
June 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM
With a name as shrouded in mystique as Gibson, they can charge whatever they really want. That's why I buy most of my guitars used. You can pick up a nice used 335 in the $1500-2000 range. IMO, you can get guitars that are superior to a 335 in that price range as well.

Eric
June 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
LOL - I don't mind them making money...but $3500?? I'm sure they make a HUGE markup on that.

Not too many people can pay that much for a guitar. Like me :)
If people will pay, you can trust a company to have prices that reflect that demand. Credit Gibson for making this nest for themselves, I suppose -- it's quite impressive to be in that position as a company. It's not really Gibson's job to provide guitars at cost; though I think the price gouging is a little stupid, that self-regulating aspect is the nature of capitalism.

The only way to overcome it is to disengage from that idea that "only a Gibson is a Gibson." The irritating part is when you get other people looking down at you because they hold that ideal close to their hearts, but that's just sort of a microcosm of life, isn't it? Separating what you believe from what others tell you is right.

OK, I'm done. For now.

hubberjub
June 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Only a Gibson is a Gibson. That's kind of why I stay away from them.:french

Just kidding.

FusedGrooves
June 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I wanted a 335 aswell.......

Luckily, a guitar collector (60 + guitars last count) at work lent me a few different 335s aswell as a couple of Yamaha SA2200 (Deluxe and standard).....

I really wanted that 335 - but the Yamaha, with Ebony fretboard and Single coil taps was just too good to pass up so I bought a brand new one. The voice on this thing is incredible and love being able to play single coil or humbucker. Even after I had my heart set on a 335, I think this was a better guitar and half the price of the 335!

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Cunningstunter/da33f459.jpg

kidsmoke
June 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
That's a beautiful guitar. Yamaha's consistently impress me. Is it MIJ?

FusedGrooves
June 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM
That's a beautiful guitar. Yamaha's consistently impress me. Is it MIJ?

Thanks mate! It's 'THE ONE' for me anyhow! As I mentioned I had played on several 335s, even some Ibanez but these seemed to have such a versatile sound and to be made of highest quality....

This one is MIJ, I believe they're starting to get hard to find? They stopped making this model or something now???

The finish is like nothing I own.....my custom Ibanez S series is pretty hot and finished well, but the Yamaha is on another level again.

AND I could've bought 2 of the Yammies for 1 base model genuine 335 (here in Aus at any rate).......

FrankenFretter
June 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
That is a beautiful Yamaha. I wonder if the gold hardware will hold up better than a Gibson? From what I've heard, Gibson gold hardware is notorious for losing it's plating quickly.

progrmr
June 28th, 2010, 01:07 PM
That is a NICE guitar!

FusedGrooves
June 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
That is a beautiful Yamaha. I wonder if the gold hardware will hold up better than a Gibson? From what I've heard, Gibson gold hardware is notorious for losing it's plating quickly.

Sorry to kinda Hi-jack the OP . . . .but if anyone is looking for a 335 type guitar then the Yamaha definately, definatelyrequires a close look/play.....

All of my other guitars have humbuckers so having something that I can split the coils from is awesome....my guitar needs a bit more 'playing in' but the Ebony fretboard on the others I had played, some heavily gigged with, was simply the best feeling under my fingers I'd ever felt....

Again for me, the Yamaha IS the better guitar for several reasons....it just doesn't say 'Gibson' on the headstock and do you know what, I'm GLAD that it doesn't!

Gold hardware is always a bit of a worry, does any one have maintenance advice for this? My S series Ibanex *had* gold trim, which on the PUP surrounds is quite pitted/crappy looking, on the volume/tone knobs it's almost turned a polished silver colour.....something I want to try very hard avoiding on my precious Yamaha....

To the OP, if you have not already bought, check out the Yamaha and see what you think!