PDA

View Full Version : Amp noises

Spudman
November 25th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I was getting ready to start playing at a gig and when ever I hit a chord I got a really awful crackle and cutting out noise. I found out it was one tube in particular so I swapped tubes. Same thing. Then I wiggled the tube a little and it quit. I think there is something up with the socket.

Should I just clean the socket or could this be something else? Do sockets ever need replacing in amphs that have been totally babied?

oldguy
November 25th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Sounds like you could have a bad solder joint at the socket. If it's not allowing one of the pins on the tube to make a solid connection, that could cause it to crackle. Wiggling it may have been enough for it to lose connection and quit. Can you take it apart and check for a cold solder joint, or have a tech nearby do it?

M29
November 25th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Could be a touch of corrosion in the contacts of the socket. Does it work ok now that you moved the tube around. You may have scraped the corrosion away. Temporarily of course. :D

sumitomo
November 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Spud all these guys are right.When I first got my Blues Jr.it was making that kind of sound,then I'd wiggle the tube and it would go away.I read where I needed to retension the pin holders in the tube socket,no more prob.for me.Sumi:D

Spudman
November 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll take it apart today and see if I can shock myself...er, fix it.:)

ZMAN
November 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I was told by my amp tech, when this happens you need to pull the tube, inspect the contacts, and reseat them in the socket. Sometimes crud will build up in the socket and just taking them out and putting them back will fix it.