PDA

View Full Version : major scales / instructional graphics

mw13068
November 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Hi. I'm in the process of learning my major scales backwards and forwards, up and down. I also appreciate helpful, concise graphics as learning aides. So, if you know of a useful graphic representation of instructional materials, please post them!

I set this one (from wikipedia) as my desktop image. I think the 7 4 7 4 7 4 diagonal is interesting.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/106654b0d7e492b41b.jpg

Eric
November 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi. I'm in the process of learning my major scales backwards and forwards, up and down. I also appreciate helpful, concise graphics as learning aides. So, if you know of a useful graphic representation of instructional materials, please post them!

I'll offer up my one attempt at guitar scales that was met with a somewhat-cooler-than-tepid response:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13333

If there's something you think there's something I could do to make it more useful, I'm all ears. It's far from perfect.

Thanks for the graphic; that's handy.

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I might be missing something here, but is there any reason you -don't- want a book?

I have "the gig bag book of scales" and "the gig bag book of chords" that I bought a long time ago and I still use them from time to time. Kinda obviously, one is full of scales and one is full of chords, all sorted by key and all with musical notation, tab and fingering diagrams.

There are loads of chord finders and scale finder type apps on the web too so I'm not really sure why you want to re-invent the wheel as it where.

Eric
November 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
There are loads of chord finders and scale finder type apps on the web too so I'm not really sure why you want to re-invent the wheel as it where.

Are you asking me or the TS?

I originally started the spreadsheet because I wanted to be able to customize what I displayed in a spreadsheet -- only pentatonic if I want, arpeggios, harmonic minor, etc. It's free, I like learning Excel, and it doesn't require an internet connection (which is still a problem from time to time).

It wasn't really meant for other people to use, but I was having a problem with the formulas being a bit too clunky, so I was asking for help in that original thread.

I guess I'm not sure how to answer this; does what I've written answer your question?

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I guess I'm not sure how to answer this; does what I've written answer your question?

Yes totally. :)