PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Bond of a Musical Marraige

rylanmartin
November 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I thought it would be fun to post this question for debate. I've been married for about 9 months now to a musical wife. We both play guitar and several other instruments and between the two of us, we have a substantial gear collection.

As we have stepped into the bond of marriage, we have known the clause "what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine" all to well.

The question I pose is, how do guitars fit into this? Is my gear "ours" and her gear "ours"? Or do we still have independent ownership?

Robert
November 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
You da guitar player in da house - the guitar gear is YOURS! ;)

sumitomo
November 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Have you ever slipped in dog poop?Sumi:D

just strum
November 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Everything is mine, all mine I tell ya.

piebaldpython
November 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Tongue-in-cheek here......mostly.....but you will learn that EVERYTHING is HERS unless she ALLOWS it to be yours.........:poke

luvmyshiner
November 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have my guitars, CB has her guitars. But we share.:AOK

I keep her in check by reminding her that even though she has all the electrics, I have all the amphs.

Spudman
November 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/castle1.jpg

My toys are for me only. You get your own if you want. If I caught my Mrs playing my Luke I'd get awful serious with her awful quickly.

tjcurtin1
November 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hmmmm... methinks you should have asked - and answered - that question before getting BOUNDED.....!

wingsdad
November 26th, 2009, 10:24 PM
...The question I pose is, how do guitars fit into this? Is my gear "ours" and her gear "ours"? Or do we still have independent ownership?
Don't know your laws in Alberta, but here in California, anyway, what each of you brought into the marriage remains individual property, owned independent of each other.

If you're hinting that you're squabbling over playing each other's guitars after 9 months, you may give some thought to seeking legal counsel. :poke

rylanmartin
November 26th, 2009, 11:16 PM
If you're hinting that you're squabbling over playing each other's guitars after 9 months, you may give some thought to seeking legal counsel. :poke

There's no strain on my marriage in any way. I don't know if there's anything hotter than seeing my wife demanding that our PRS Singlecut is hers, or her oogling over an Orange AD30TC amp... It's a passion we share together. However, I'm playfully asking who owns what? Not legally, but ethically perhaps.

:bootyshake

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
My wife has no interest in my guitars. But of the things of ours (or mine, even before marriage), that she did like, I found the rule to be, what's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers. LOL! :D Just kidding, kinda. Best to talk that out I bet to get clear understanding of the expectations on both sides. :AOK

Monkus
December 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
on the marraige cert thingy, check the fine print, dont worry, its there !!!

FrankenFretter
December 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Certainly not a problem I'll ever have to deal with (although at times I wish it were), but I'd have to say that it's pretty much community property now. If you were both professional cooks, wouldn't you share the cookware? I can see how it would be sort of flattering in a way to have your loved one use your gear. I think you're lucky to have someone in your life that close to you that you can relate to on that level. My brother used to hide his musical assets at my house because he didn't want his wife to see that he'd spent more money on gear. Funny, if you're not the one worrying about being in the doghouse. :cool: