PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use fuzz?

Robert
November 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Just curious how often you guys use a fuzz pedal when you play.

I like hearing fuzz tones on albums, but I find myself not using the fuzz effect very much when I play. I just don't seem get along very well with it. I actually use the octave fuzz effect a lot more, since it's a lot more fun to play with for me.

@nthony
November 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Whenever I don't shave! :)

hubberjub
November 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I never use fuzz. I don't even own a fuzz pedal. I hear it's one of those pedals that have to be used properly or else they sound bad.

pes_laul
November 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Would a big muff be considered fuzz? If not I've never used it.

mrmudcat
November 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Fuzz + strat = nice tones

Ro3b
November 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm going through kind of a Queens of the Stone Age phase lately, trying to incorporate those huge fuzzed-out rhythm tones in the stuff I'm writing.

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I use it some. Prolly not more than 25%, but I do enjoy it for Santana tones and am trying to learn the Gilmour fuzz tones. I enjoy it!

ZMAN
November 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I don't use a fuzz pedal at all but I do use several OD pedals. Some I can dial in to get a slightly fuzzy OD if that makes any sense. I rarely use clean tones, and almost always have some sort of driver going. The radial tonbone can get some fuzzy od as well.

marnold
November 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I like my Cool Cat Fuzz, but I don't use it that often--only when I'm trying to mangle some Hendrix or Sabbath.

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Would a big muff be considered fuzz? If not I've never used it.
Yes, though not a really typical one. To me, the Big Muff tonally falls between a distortion pedal and a more classic fuzz, like the Fuzz Face circuit and its many derivatives.

I like the classic fuzz pedals with Fender-style single coils, but not so much with humbuckers, and P90s kind of in between. 'Buckers just tend to get muddy and unfocused sounding with them. IMO, the Big Muff circuit can sound good with anything, when "dialed in".

Tone2TheBone
December 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I use my Fuzz Face all the time. Mostly on the Fenders.

Retro Hound
December 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I LOVE the sound of fuzz. Add it with a wah and I'm in another world. But right now while I'm learning, I'm pretty much sticking with clean sounds, maybe some gain or some tremolo and reverb.

P.J.
December 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Just curious how often you guys use a fuzz pedal when you play.

I like hearing fuzz tones on albums, but I find myself not using the fuzz effect very much when I play. I just don't seem get along very well with it. I actually use the octave fuzz effect a lot more, since it's a lot more fun to play with for me.

I use light overdrive or clean most of the time but definitely like fuzz every once in a while. I use it enough to keep one plugged into my board whereas some other effects (phaser comes to mind) come and go as needed.

=-) PJ

Eric
October 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
Lazarus thread -- so sue me.

I recently bumbled upon fuzz while playing with some people in a semi-ambient playing circumstance. I was trying to find something for my Turbo Rat to do, and it did the job pretty well. So that is to say that I think I'll be using fuzz a bit more from now on. I almost never use it when playing by myself, but it seems to be pretty effective in certain situations.

Retro Hound
October 1st, 2011, 09:37 AM
I just bought a Way Huge Foot Pig fuzz and I LOVE playing around with it. It's based on the Fuzz Face from what I hear.

Commodore 64
October 1st, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have a Boss FZ-5. Haven't really figured out how to use it. Two of the settings seem unuseable. Like horrible sounding.

sunvalleylaw
October 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM
I seem to be using my fuzz pedals less lately. Maybe it is the Fender Concert, as I think my fuzz pedals sound better with my Peavey. Maybe it is the music I am playing. I think it is more the fact that I have been using the Fender and that it does not like that pedal as well, and does better with overdrive, distortion, or just more volume for crunch. Too much distortion and the amph seems to lose a lot of its character.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Never really tried one. I always kinda tried to get away from fuzzy sounds and more like poweramp crunch. Maybe I should try one out some day.
Haven't used a distortion pedal either in, hm, twenty years now. Just OD's.

sunvalleylaw
October 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
With the Concert, sometimes adjusting out an OD is all that is needed it seems.

guitartango
October 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
I have a stomp under foot Ram's Head, nice pedal. Combine a pedal booster in front of it and it becomes very smooth, all fuzz pedals need to be pushed.