PDA

View Full Version : Need some Holy Grail advice

birv2
November 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I just bought a used Holy Grail reverb. I'd read a lot of reviews, talked to a few friends, but I guess I didn't do all my homework. It sounds great, but....

I didn't know that it didn't take batteries, and that they highly recommend only using the included EHX wall wart. Mine came with a 3.5 mm adapter cable, so that you can use Boss-type adapters. I plugged it into my Gator pedal board and got a very loud, very high-pitched whine, whether the pedal was on or off.

My bad, for not knowing the requirements. The guy who sold it to me used a 1-Spot and never had any problems. So does anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe a spare HG wall wart?

Bob

:help

ZMAN
November 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
The only suggestion I would make is to find out what the load on the pedal is. Not all wall warts are the same Mili amps as a boss pedal. That may be why they requested you use a specific WW. Lets say the load is 9v 300 ma. This may be causing the problem. Also I find that if you plug directly into the wall rather than a power bar, this will help reduce noise considerably.
Just as an example my Radial Tonebone is a 15v 400ma WW.
I am sure you can find a matching aftermarket WW to match the load, as long as you have the correct tip to plug into the pedal.
I am not an electronic expert, but have found this out by trial and error.
It should tell you on the bottom of the pedal what the load is.

timothymegg
December 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have the same problem. I have to use the supplied power transformer or, if I do use a different power supply I have to make sure that it is NOT daisy chained or I'll get the same thing. I haven't tried the Voodoo labs power supply yet but, that is my next power supply purchase. I don't get any hum at all when it is powered without daisy chains. Peace

birv2
December 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I guess those EHX pedals are very picky. I finally ordered the official adapter through GC. Works great now, but I can't daisy chain it. I like the pedal enough that I'm willing to deal with some inconveniences.

Robert
December 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Get the 1 spot! I use mine all the time and never had any problems with it.