PDA

View Full Version : Garageband recommendation

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I must really recommend you guys to get a Mac :)
With every new iMac comes Garageband, a free recording studio that works fantastic with the guitar plugged straight into the computer. You can also use your favourite amp modeling software with it (Audio Units or VST plugs).
I recorded a short clip with the standard built in amp modeler (there are three british and three american amp sims and they sound rather good). Not playing my best ;) but it should give you guys a hint how the amp section sounds.
Forgive the hum, it is my standard Squirrel Tele pups that always hum when I play in front of the computer (my old LP never did that).

Tone2TheBone
November 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hey thats pretty cool. What amp model did you play through. The sound was recorded very clear. I'm so used to using IBM PCs. I thought about getting a Mac for my oldest once but then she changed schools and now they use PCs there so I never did. Cool that you got free recording stuff on yours! I've still yet to produce some sounds I promised Robert on my computer. At least you're in the running! Good sounds!

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks!
It was the built in American Bright Gain. I added some trem, echo, reverb and compressor.

Check out http://http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/ if you want to know more about garageband.

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
A new article out about Garageband, featuring info from acoustic recording artist Greg Laswell. I am always interested in this stuff.

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/laswell/?sr=hotnews

Robert
March 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Where's dat clip!? :confused:

I just started with GarageBand, and I have to say I like it! I like it a lot more than iMovie.

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I like it a lot more than iMovie.
i think you would like imovie once you mess with it a little more....there is a timeline feature in there and then you can move it to idvd to menu it up and such!

ww

Robert
March 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
iMovie doesn't seem to have a timeline with seconds showing. It makes it really hard to know where you are in a clip. Please enlighten me if I'm out to lunch.

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
iMovie doesn't seem to have a timeline with seconds showing. It makes it really hard to know where you are in a clip. Please enlighten me if I'm out to lunch.
with imovie open look right below the main viewing window and you will see two small icons at the far left.....one looks like a piece of film and the other like a clock....click the clock to see the timeline (including audio tracks and such) click the piece of film to see the clips....

ww

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
robert,

check out this website....they have some useful imovie plugins....i needed to add a logo to a clients movie and was able to do it easily with one of their plugins....i think you can add text too....only a few bucks for each plugin!

http://www.imovieplugins.com/

ww

Robert
March 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Do you have iMovie 08? I don't see no clock icon.

I can see the timeline fine, but I can see any minutes:seconds displayed for the timeline.

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
no i only have 6.0 but the minutes:seconds display is right above the timeline....maybe ss has a newer version...

ww

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
The clock icon is lower left. The time shows up after a clip has been imported. Until you import a clip into your iMovie project, time measurements do not appear on the timeline. Once clips are there, iMovie has something to measure on the timeline. This is in '08.

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
The clock icon is lower left.
i think he found the timeline icon but doesn't see the minutes:seconds display...

ww

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I caught that and did an edit of my post above after opening an old project in '08. I also opened a blank project and added a clip to check.

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I caught that and did an edit after opening an old project in '08. I also opened a blank project and added a clip to check.
ok...that makes sense...i opened an existing project...that's probably why i saw the minutes:seconds display!

ww

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I havent used the new version yet, but the older imovie HD had a normal timeline...

Robert
March 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM
So where's your GarageBand clip?

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
(EDIT: Oh, you meant Swede's clip from the beginning of this thread. Yeah, where is that thing SS? Guess you have to post a new one if you can't find it. ;) .)

Any of the clips I have posted on the forum so far have been through Garageband. More recently, I used the Toneport UX2 as a source into Garageband, but everything was recorded there. Here is a link to a somewhat recent one with a comment on the recording by Jimi.

Guys, that was really amazing. I love listening to all of you play. Quite an inspiration.

Ok, on the more beginner end of things, I started a new one up. Constructive criticism welcome. I feel I could benefit from good control over a vibrato, and my bends are not to pitch as I would like. Mostly though, someone hop in.

http://www.box.net/shared/gvr1sl18gc

Here is a different take.

http://www.box.net/shared/wsmhtb4sgw

Feel free to comment on both or either, and someone please hop in on one or the other. :pancake:

Sunvalleylaw,

I am happy to finally hear your playing!
Here's what I think:

. . . .

- the recording quality is briliant as is also the guitar sound

My friend you are on a very good way and I can almost smell which kind of guitar player sleeps in you.

:dude:

Jampy
March 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
If you like Garageband be sure to check out iControl from M-Audio. Great little USB interface. I use it with my GB and I love it, makes life so much easier to tweek settings and for mixing.

As a tip make sure your recording in 24bit with GB then mix it down to 16bit 44100 fro CD Quality.

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
If you like Garageband be sure to check out iControl from M-Audio. Great little USB interface. I use it with my GB and I love it, makes life so much easier to tweek settings and for mixing.

As a tip make sure your recording in 24bit with GB then mix it down to 16bit 44100 fro CD Quality.

I have been using my Toneport UX2 with it. So this m-audio one looks like it gives you more tactile control over the Garageband controls? I have been doing controlling my sounds primarily in Gearbox, and then using Garageband for mixing stuff, like tweaking the lead left a little, rhythm right a little, controlling relative volumes between tracks, stuff like that. I am really new to all of this, only really starting a few months ago. So any tips would be appreciated.

Jampy
March 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have been using my Toneport UX2 with it. So this m-audio one looks like it gives you more tactile control over the Garageband controls? I have been doing controlling my sounds primarily in Gearbox, and then using Garageband for mixing stuff, like tweaking the lead left a little, rhythm right a little, controlling relative volumes between tracks, stuff like that. I am really new to all of this, only really starting a few months ago. So any tips would be appreciated.

http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/iControl-main.html

I use a Toneport UX2 for my interface. But iControl is used (for me) for recording levels, track options and mixing levels. It simply plugs in, no drivers to install and I have tested it with Leopard 10.5.1 and with the latest version of GB and all works 100% and hassle free.

I would also like to point out that many users of Gb have had problems when going to 10.5.2 so please be sure to check out all the Gb forums before doing so. I have two macs at home both running Leopard but one is 10.5.1 and the other is 10.5.2 I can tell you I notice that GB loads slower and run a little less stable in 10.5.2, so my main recording machine is staying update free for the time being.

Have fun :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Ok, that sounds like a nice way to do it. So you go guitar equipment into Toneport, into this M-Audio controller, then to the computer. I have not had a big problem just using the controls in Garageband, but as I continue, if it seems it will help me, I'll consider it. I suppose one who does not already have a Toneport could consider getting just that iController, and using the Garageband stuff for effects. Gearbox has more though. If I were to get such a controller, it seems like I might want it to work with Logic too in case I started going big with recording and mixing.

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
So where's your GarageBand clip?

I havent got a clue.. it was posted November 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM and I must have removed ..

Jampy
March 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ok, that sounds like a nice way to do it. So you go guitar equipment into Toneport, into this M-Audio controller, then to the computer. I have not had a big problem just using the controls in Garageband, but as I continue, if it seems it will help me, I'll consider it. I suppose one who does not already have a Toneport could consider getting just that iController, and using the Garageband stuff for effects. Gearbox has more though. If I were to get such a controller, it seems like I might want it to work with Logic too in case I started going big with recording and mixing.

the iControl and Toneport have nothing to do with each other, nor do they connect together. I simply use the Toneport as my interface, you could use any interface you like or none at all. Check the link I posted in my last post that really explains iControl.

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Oh, I get it. It works completely separately to add tactile control, and is not in line. tOta hasn't posted yet today that I have seen so I will borrow his village idiot hat! :D

Back to the woodshed. Here are some links to some Garageband tutorials online at Apple.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#garageband

'06 tutorials
http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/garageband/

Jipes
March 12th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I also use Garage Band specially when I want to make a demo with drums I found the drums loops quite useful. I usually connect my guitar to the POD2.0 and enter into the mBox USB interface (from Pro Tools) which is recognized by the Core Audio. Usually it works fine I have sometimes to change back and fourth the audio preferences to have the sound correctly in the stereo channels

They are few clips that I did with the drum loops
http://www.dailymotion.com/jipes/video/x42sy0_hiver-et-neige_music

this clip was done in iMovie 06 with a Garage Band mix it's me on guitar and the rest is drum loops and Keyboard effects

Jipes