PDA

View Full Version : Crate GFX 120 Hum problem...

Zip
November 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Just got the above amph today. The guy I got it from said the hum (quite loud & annoying) was there when he got it from the original owner.

When I turn the unit on, there's a loud hum - like a 60-cycle, sort of. It remains constant...volume pot doesn't increase the noise, channels don't make a difference. Nothing I do changes the volume/pitch of the hum. It's just there. Removed the chassis from the amph, and all wiring/etc. looks original & intact. I certainly don't mind jumping in this thing, and I have the schematics - I just don't know how to proceed to troubleshoot this.

Any thoughts or ideas (aside from comments on solid state & Crate being complete rubbish :poke )??

kiteman
November 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Check the caps on the power supply. They'll be on the DC side after the rectifier.

Commodore 64
December 1st, 2009, 06:02 AM
I have a Crate GTX212. I bought it used, and the power supply had been replaced. It might be a common thing. Look for bulging caps as stated above, it might be a simple fix.

Zip
December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Yep - it was the filter caps. One read about 47, the other about 32. Replaced them both, and now I get screaming solos out of this amph :happy

Edit - I lied. It's a GFX 212. :)

Commodore 64
December 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, so is mine. Mine's in the basement though, resting...I don't have enough room upstairs for it.

Zip
December 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I got this thing for 60 bucks - the two 12" Eminence speakers are worth that alone. So it's all good.

kiteman
December 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Good job. :)

I had a Crate G212. Notice I said "G212", it was long long ago.

Commodore 64
December 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hmm I paid 75 for mine, but I don't think mine has Eminence Speakers in it...I'll have to go look when I get home tonight.

Zip
December 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
The label says "Crate Custom Design"......they're rebadged Eminence speakers ;)

Commodore 64
December 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
OK, I just went downstairs to check. My amp is a Crate GT212, with the Crate Custom Design speakers. It has a spring reverb tank. Date on the speakers says 2001.

I do wish my Blackheart had reverb.