PDA

View Full Version : buzzy buzz

f1point7
September 9th, 2006, 06:57 AM
i got a little buzzin problem on me acoustic.
it's weird because it only buzzes when it's played open.
when it's fretted, there's no problem.
the buzz comes from the bridge.
anyone know what's wrong with it?
thanks in advance :)

Spudman
September 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a grounding problem. There might not be a ground link from the electronics to the strings via the bridge. I'm not sure how to solve this on an acoustic.
Anyone else know?

Carlström
September 9th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I did experience something similar on an Ibanez nylonstring acoustic i used to own.

The cause of that was that a cable for the preamp wasn't tightened inside the guitar properly so it vibrated against the side of the body when playing open chords that involved the low E specifically.

Now i don't know if you're guitar has got a preamp in it, but even if it doesn't check out so that everything outside and inside the guitar is tight as it should (hard to reach under the bridge i know but give it a try). could be something like a bridgepin or glue inside gone loose. I ain't saying that it is what's causing you're buzz, but it's one possibility to look in to. If it's not, well you can rule that out anyway.
good luck

EDIT: Oh i fixed my buzzing problem by just tightening up and taping that cable against the preamp inside the guitar.

f1point7
September 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
thanks for replying fretters
my guitar doesn't have any electronics. also it's a folk guitar.
tried replacing strings and the bridge pin but to no avail.
it's the G-string that's causing the buzz. anyone else know?
thanks again

Leonidas
September 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Are you sure the buzz is coming from the bridge??

If it is general fret buzz, even if the buzz is coming from the higher frets CLOSER to the bridge, then it could be a case of the nut being cut too low. This would especially make sense if the buzzing is only from one string. The G-string nut slot may be a little too low. If this is the case, it may need a nut replacement, or the addition of a shim under the nut.

Adding a little relief (via truss rod) could mask the problem, but it will affect your action.

f1point7
September 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Are you sure the buzz is coming from the bridge??

If it is general fret buzz, even if the buzz is coming from the higher frets CLOSER to the bridge, then it could be a case of the nut being cut too low. This would especially make sense if the buzzing is only from one string. The G-string nut slot may be a little too low. If this is the case, it may need a nut replacement, or the addition of a shim under the nut.

Adding a little relief (via truss rod) could mask the problem, but it will affect your action.

you're right. it was the nut. it was getting too worn and buzzing on the first fret. though the actual buzzing sound came from the bridge.
anyways replaced the nut and alls good again :D thanks

Spudman
September 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
FYI

Some times if a nut groove is too worn out it can be fixed without replacing the nut. Here's how:

Do this on a spread out news paper to avoid mess.

Get a bit of dried cow bone. Either saw it or use a rasp file to get a bunch of bone dust. Make a tiny pile of the dust and add a drop of super glue to it. Mix it with a toothpick and apply a bit of the mixture to the string groove in the nut. Let dry then file the groove the way you want it. Tada! Instant bone to string contact even with plastic nuts.

Nut replacement not necessary.

Leonidas
September 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM
you're right. it was the nut. it was getting too worn and buzzing on the first fret. though the actual buzzing sound came from the bridge.
anyways replaced the nut and alls good again :D thanks

no problem! glad I could help. ;)

Leonidas
September 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
FYI

Some times if a nut groove is too worn out it can be fixed without replacing the nut. Here's how:

Do this on a spread out news paper to avoid mess.

Get a bit of dried cow bone. Either saw it or use a rasp file to get a bunch of bone dust. Make a tiny pile of the dust and add a drop of super glue to it. Mix it with a toothpick and apply a bit of the mixture to the string groove in the nut. Let dry then file the groove the way you want it. Tada! Instant bone to string contact even with plastic nuts.

Nut replacement not necessary.

Great tip spud, I'll have to remember that for future reference...