PDA

View Full Version : Low watt tube amp suggestions

vroomery
November 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hello all! I'm currently playing through a fender deluxe and I really love how it sounds. I really want to downgrade the power a little bit though because I rarely play in a venue that lets me turn up the amp where I like it. I know about the fender blues junior, but I'm looking for other suggestions that would stay in a reasonable price range. I figure I can probably sell my deluxe for around 500 since its in great shape and I can't put down too much more on the new amp.

Radioboy950
November 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
What about one of the little Blackheart combos?
They've got a 5-watter, or a 15-watter that has a pentode/triode selector.

R.B. Huckleberry
November 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
What about one of the little Blackheart combos?
They've got a 5-watter, or a 15-watter that has a pentode/triode selector.

+1. I'm eyeballing the 5 watter.

Robert
November 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Mack GEM - www.mackamps.com

N8v5TGCDRTI

gvNzNFd72sQ

Commodore 64
November 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The GEMs are nice, but they are double the price of his current amp, aren't they?

I have a Blackheart Little Giant. What would the TS like to know about it?

markb
November 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
If you want great Fender tones in a small package, save for a Princeton reissue. Seriously.

Now, when you say "Deluxe" is that a Hot Rod?

Robert
November 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
The GEMs are nice, but they are double the price of his current amp, aren't they?

I have a Blackheart Little Giant. What would the TS like to know about it?

It's currently $547.00 - he said he expects to get around $500 for his current amp. Where's the "double"?

birv2
November 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
How about the Pro Junior? Lots of people think it sounds better than the Blues Junior, and it can get seriously loud.

just strum
November 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'll cast another vote for the BH. I have the BH that I picked up for $100 used. I converted my Vox AD30VT so it can also be used as a cab. I love the BH.

sumitomo
November 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I have a Blues Jr tweed with a OT up grade and I'd trade it straight across for that Mack,because I'm more of a home player who want's to learn to record and that Mack fits the ticket every way.So I say buck up get the Mack and treat yourself to a amph with good tone that you can crank up at home.Guess you know what amph I'll buy next.Sumi:D

vroomery
November 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The blackheart seems like an interesting choice. I like the price tag for sure, but I've read some reviews on it and some say that it breaks up too early. The gem also looks (and sounds) like a good choice. I guess it depends how much money I can throw out there.

oldguy
November 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Jet City 20w heads are slowly becoming more available. I just got one, and it sounds fantastic. $299, and you can tweak the gain and volume controls to get either a clean or a great overdriven sound.
You might check 'em out, they're unreal for the price.

wingsdad
November 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM
It's currently $547.00 - he said he expects to get around $500 for his current amp. Where's the "double"?
His current Fender amp is a combo. The GEM head may be $547US, but the combo is $927US. Not quite, but close to double.

vroomery
December 10th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I made the trip to the closes guitar center (~2 hours) today and experimented with some different amps. I grabbed a tele similar to mine and went to town.

Fender Blues Junior - This guy sounded surprisingly sterile and really all around crappy. I a/b'd it with the hr deluxe right next to it and there's just no comparison. That one's definitely out of the picture.

Vox AC4TV - I really liked the warmth of this amp, but it was really muddy in the mids no matter how i changed the tone controls on the amp and the guitar. The tubes were going bad too oddly enough so it was buzzing a bit. I did like the flexibly of power controls though.

Bugera V5 - This one was pretty good for the price, but it just doesn't have the warmth and sparkle I want. It also had a tube going bad which didn't help.

Blackstar HT5H - It didn't take long to turn this one off. Very sterile sounding. Pretty much didn't even sound like a tube amp.

Epiphone Valve Junior - Man was this a surprise. The only drawback for me is that it has extremely limited controls. (only a volume knob) Aside from that it was simply gorgeous. I didn't really need a tone knob b/c it was very warm and almost there with the sparkle. I didn't think it was really in the running before, but this experience definitely changed my mind. Any further input from owners of the valve junior would be much appreciated. Do you feel like you get the tonal flexibility you need?

I'm still looking to demo a blackheart because it looks like a great option and what I've heard of them sounds great. I look forward to getting any other opinions on these as well.

All in all it was a good outing. Narrowing the possibilities til i find "The One"!

oldguy
December 11th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Glad you got a chance to try some out. I agree w/ you on the Epi. I have an older version, which I changed the OT on, and did a few mods from the old 18w.com site. It kicks a$$, and I think most of the new V.Jr.'s have addressed the issues that were shortcomings on the originals.
I don't suppose you got to try out a JetCity20H 20watt head?
May be more watts than you want, but for $299 they are a slammin' little amph, and the tone/presence controls really offer some shaping options.
No effects built in, just a clean EL84 based signal path, but nice IMO.

Tig
December 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Epiphone Valve Junior - Man was this a surprise. The only drawback for me is that it has extremely limited controls. (only a volume knob) Aside from that it was simply gorgeous. I didn't really need a tone knob b/c it was very warm and almost there with the sparkle. I didn't think it was really in the running before, but this experience definitely changed my mind. Any further input from owners of the valve junior would be much appreciated. Do you feel like you get the tonal flexibility you need?

Wow, you made the best of your long trip to GC!
I've had my Epi Valve Jr head & 1x12 cab for about 8 months now. Bought it used from Craig'sList. The previous owner had someone add a tone pot mod, which is one of the things it needed from my experience trying them before.

I upgraded the tubes with JJ's, and added a BitMo (http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the-Mod-Kits-for-Epiphone-Valve-Jr/Categories) attenuator plate kit on the back for bedroom use, as this lil' guy can get loud, but not quite loud enough for unmiked gigging. I might get the Tweaky kit (http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the-65/BITMO-TWEAKY-Mod-Kit/Detail) for some extra flexibility, but otherwise, I really love this amp. I can get rich, sustained tones that are really pleasing to my ears, and a very expressive, touch sensitive feel from it.

As is, the tonal flexibility is good for the limited control available. I still feel like I could improve it a little more, however. It likes most pedals I've run through it, and I can use the attenuator to route the signal to my Peavey Vypyr for effects (I'll hopefully replace the Vypyr with a VOX Tonelab ST soon).

Out of the box it is a good little amp, but needs tone control, IMO. For those who like to mod, it is like a canvas awaiting their brush and paints!

vroomery
December 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Oldguy - I didn't get a chance to play the JetCity. I was looking for it but didn't see it for some reason.

Tig - I looked at the BitMo site you referenced. That may have just convinced me to get this amp. From the reviews and the options of kits, it looks like a great deal. All I really want from the amp is a volume knob, reverb, and simple tone knob. All of which is offered through the B-verb mod, Brat mod (tone). The tweaky mod sounds like it would help too in adding tonal diversity and depth. $370 for the modded head and 12" cab sounds like an amazing deal to me.

Spudman
December 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm still looking to demo a blackheart because it looks like a great option and what I've heard of them sounds great. I look forward to getting any other opinions on these as well.

You do need to do that because I am ultimately happy with my Little Giant head. If you have good listening conditions I think you'll like it especially for the price (got a cabinet?).
I've got mine running into a high wattage 1x12 Eminence cab and it sounds great. For variety I can switch it over to a 1x12 vintage Celestion too. They both sound good but I like the cleaner Emi speaker best.

I haven't tried mine at a jam or totally cranked. I just don't need to. It's my office recording/practice amph and I really like how it sounds. It absolutely loves every dirt pedal I throw at it.