PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Guitar Riffs

Blaze
November 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Cool poll ..

Guess who is # 1

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-top-50-guitar-riffs-of-all-time-50-26-227084

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-top-50-guitar-riffs-of-all-time-25-1-226933

FrankenFretter
December 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
It's nice to see that #1 spot go to someone deserving, but I really don't see how Sweet Child of Mine got #2. And no SRV in the top 25? That doesn't seem right.

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
These lists are the ultimate in subjectivity, but that's certainly a worthy #1 pick....

....I really don't see how Sweet Child of Mine got #2. And no SRV in the top 25? That doesn't seem right.
EXACTLY my thoughts!!

deeaa
December 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
It's nice to see that #1 spot go to someone deserving, but I really don't see how Sweet Child of Mine got #2. And no SRV in the top 25? That doesn't seem right.

I dunno about Sweet Child either...in the top 50, sure, but #2...well it's very recognizable, that's true.

One that could have been there (maybe it is, didn't check them all) is the Friends theme by the Rembrandts.

SRV? Can't say I'd recognize any of his riffs.

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
SRV? Can't say I'd recognize any of his riffs.
Dude! Not even this one???

NU0MF8pwktg

deeaa
December 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
Dude! Not even this one???

NU0MF8pwktg

Never heard that but that's a basic A-blues jam, innit? Nothing remarkable or memorable, been done a gazillion times and often better too?

vroomery
December 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I feel like carry on my wayward son should be on this list somewhere. Maybe not towards the top, but definitely top 50.

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Never heard that but that's a basic A-blues jam, innit? Nothing remarkable or memorable, been done a gazillion times and often better too?
It's in E, actually, though he always tuned down to Eb. After that, we get into the realm of opinion, and I see no point in going there....

FrankenFretter
December 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM

Stevie deserves to be there every bit as much as Jimi does, IMHO. But, as DVM so accurately stated, it's all opinion at this point.

MAXIFUNK
December 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
another list I could disagree with all day long.

FrankenFretter
December 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
another list I could disagree with all day long.

I imagine part of the goal when publishing lists like this is to stir up some debate, and/or just to provoke a reaction, be it positive or not. Any time somebody makes a "Top ___" list, there's going to be all kinds of disagreements. That's what makes them fun!

Hmmm...maybe The Fret should make up it's own Top 50 Riffs list...

MAXIFUNK
December 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I imagine part of the goal when publishing lists like this is to stir up some debate, and/or just to provoke a reaction, be it positive or not. Any time somebody makes a "Top ___" list, there's going to be all kinds of disagreements. That's what makes them fun!

Hmmm...maybe The Fret should make up it's own Top 50 Riffs list...

Sounds like a good idea...............

Ch0jin
December 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM

And the winner is...... :)

I used to work in Marketing with a big focus on web marketing. It's a basic rule thats been used since the birth of print media. The more shocking or controversial the story, the higher the circulation (or page hits) and the higher the circulation (or page hits) the more $$ you can command for advertising space. Controversy == $$

Know it for what it is and have fun with it :)