PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for a Fender

Tim
September 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I need some expert assistance in finding me an amp. I am looking for a Fender amp. I always did enjoy the tone produced by Fender amps. This amp can be either new or vintage, but must be within the specifications I seek.

In have been going back and forth between a tube amp and a solid-state amp. I realize that the tube will produce a much louder volume than it’s brother solid state. But from what I am reading, the tube amp will slightly distort the tone as the volume increases. On the other hand I do know that the solid-state amps produce the smooth and clear tones that I seek.

Then there is the weight factor, which plays a major issue in my final decision whether buy a tube or solid-state amp. Because of an injured back many years ago, I must stay within the weight factor of no more than 40 pounds +/-.

For this main reason I am leaning towards a Fender solid-state amp. I am looking for something in the 65-watt range. I think a 65-watt amp would punch through a drummer and keyboard player of a small band. Since I have a few stomp pedals, I do not need a modeler amp. I have been looking at the Fender Frontman 65, but have read on HC that there is significant amount of hiss with this amp.

So what I am asking of you fellow Fretters is your input on Fender amps. I do not have experience or knowledge of Fender amps, either new or vintage. Suggestions will be most appreciated. Presently I can go new or used, depending on the condition of the used amp. The more I think about a nice vintage Fender amp would fit the need nicely.

Thanks in advance for those who provide information to me.

Happy frettin’

Tim

Moshe
September 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM
All of them that you can.

I have an 80's champ 12 that has nice mojo but it may not be loud enough for your needs

I had a fender princeton chorus that was solid state and had a real nice clean channel but the OD channel was painfully bad. But if you don't want distortion you can get these $200 used all over the place. 2X10, loud cleans, not too heavy, cheap, fender, 80w maybe?.

What kind of music are you playing because I wouldn't call solid state amps smoother than tube amps. I think it is a mistake to say that tube amps distort, but rather they overdrive.

Vintage fenders are generally expensive, btw.

What is your favorite model on your vox?

duhvoodooman
September 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Tim, if I was you, I'd go to the nearest GC or other music store with a good selection of Fender amps and start plugging in and trying the various models out. Don't get too hung up on rated wattage. 30 watts of tube power might very well blow away a 60W SS amp. And I wouldn't be too concerned at all about not having enough clean "headroom" in a good Fender tube amp!! They are famous for their headroom!

BTW, what's the budget here?

P.S. I just took a quick look--a used 60W Hot Rod Deville 2x12 or 4x10 in good condition goes for about $500 on eBay, if you're willing to pay that much. It will give you CLEAN and LOUD like nobody's business!

Justaguyin_nc
September 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Tim, You know which I am going to pick...

I still enjoy the sounds I can get with the Cyber-Champ (65 watts 12 inch Celestion speaker) even at my level... About $250-$350 on ebay seeing they have discontinued this model.. it's light and it has the fender sounds..From Jazz Clean to Dirty Breakup.. plus a few British settings.. all of them useable.. The Cyber-Deluxe (65 watts 12 inch celestion speaker) would be the next step up.. $300-500 used on Ebay also Discontinued... I suggest listening to the sound clips over at monte allums site for tone.. http://www.monteallums.com/all_about_tone.html I believe these are done on a cyber-deluxe.. Then ofcourse..with money no issue.. the Cyber-Twin SE (large 120 watts 2 12 inch speakers) covers everything at $1300.00... maybe listen to the Cyber-Twin in a store and realize the other Cyber models are about the same with less features.. You can even find a Cyber-Twin First edition for around $500 used..

Compared to the talk on the net every Fender tube amp has a special place.. From the Blues Junior (modded and stock.. probably gonna be my first tube fender someday) which many many people use in alot of different situations to the nice 22 watt Deluxe Reverb reissue going about $800new (500-699 used) but also it has some weight to it.... then the big boys .. Twin reissue etc...

Wouldn't different tubes make for different sounds..from clean to early breakup.. So that would just be what you want it to sound like.. ofcourse.. thats swapping tubes and you have the One sound.. Reason Pedals are used though huh... make any amp sound any way...

In this day of Modeling... I think fender has it down pretty well even if they do not call it modeling of their own vintage amps... Even the G-Dec $250.00 or the New 30 watt G-Dec $400.00 will cover the tones of fender pretty well plus give you drum backings and bass backings.. who else but fender could actually nail the Fender tone... when they say it sounds like a fender..you may as well own a fender...

My Pick.. A Cyber Amp (Champ, Deluxe, Twin, TwinSE) ... Weight and features... hard to beat..
Search Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/fender-cyber_W0QQfromZR40

Spudman
September 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Deluxe Reverb. That's all I have to say.

SuperSwede
September 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Tim, solid state will be easier on your back. The Fender Princeton would certainly be a good amp for you, it still has a lot of that fender trademark clean sound. Actually not a Fender amp, but do try out the Hughes & Kettner solid state amps, the clean channel on a Attax/Edition amp is not that far from the sparkly sound you are looking for. Lots of headroom on the higher wattage versions.

TS808
September 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Tim

The Hot Rod series amps sound great. I owned a HR Deville 212 a few years ago. The tone is amazing, but if I have one complaint about the HR series is this: the volume knob on both the clean and dirty channels. There is a HUGE jump in volume between 1 and 3: Fender did not use a tapering volume pot. The volume controls really jump alot in the beginning and increase at a decreasing rate after that. The HR Devilles are PAINFULLY LOUD.

The Dyna-Touch series amps aren't bad sounding for solid states. The Stage 1000 will give you PLENTY of volume and then some, plus the built in effects aren't too bad. The Stage 1600 is also painfully loud, and the same thing goes for the Fender solid states: the volume pots take a HUGE jump. The Deluxe 900 (rated at 90 watts) will give you plenty of volume, and a decent tone. I'm not too crazy about the 7 timbres that Fender put on these amps though. I actually prefer the older models (Deluxe 90, Stage 100, Stage 160) for that reason.

Go play a few different ones. My younger brother has been playing a Fender Deluxe 85 for almost 20 years, and he gets great tone from it.

Tim
September 12th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I am presently reviewing a lot Fender information on the internet. Right now I am narrowing my decision to the Princeton, Princeton Reverb, or any model of the Champ.

One thing that surprised was that some of these tube amps are 6 and 12 watts. I had no idea that the wattage rating was that low. I never gave it a thought to play these amps while visiting guitar stores due to that fact that they were are beyond my range of purchase. I guess I need to follow the advice and go try a few of these amps and become familiar with them.

I will most likely trade my VOX AD30VT in for one of these Fender amps. I want to keep my Peavey Envoy 110 – 40 watt solid state because my Digitech RP-100 sounds very good going through this amp.

Thanks again for those who chimed in and shared their knowledge.

duhvoodooman
September 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I will most likely trade my VOX AD30VT in for one of these Fender amps.
You'd do better financially if you sell the VOX yourself, rather than trading in. You'll generally get significantly less than it's worth, if you do that. Just my 2 cents....

warren0728
September 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
tim....i think it's time for an amph day!!! just let me know when you want to do it!!!

ww

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
tim....i think it's time for an amph day!!! just let me know when you want to do it!!!

ww

Are you guys gonna have a yardsale on amphs?

warren0728
September 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
heck no...we are going to go play a bunch of amphs at the music stores around here!!

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
September 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Tim , the champ and princeton wont cut through drums unless mic'd , and then the quality of the pa will determine your overall tone ... look for something in the 18 watt range , remember that a 50 watt fender tube amp is loud... a deluxe reverb reissue would be a good choice they sound pretty good , but it really comes down to your budget in the long run ..6S9L

Spudman
September 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Tim , the champ and princeton wont cut through drums unless mic'd , and then the quality of the pa will determine your overall tone ... look for something in the 18 watt range , remember that a 50 watt fender tube amp is loud... a deluxe reverb reissue would be a good choice they sound pretty good , but it really comes down to your budget in the long run ..6S9L

Like I said: I only had "Deluxe Reverb" to say.

Tim
September 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM

ww

Ok Waren - I got the message. I sent you a PM with tentative dates.