PDA

View Full Version : Gig rig evolution

helliott
December 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Lots of cool changes for my rig lately. I had a Fender Blues De Ville Re-issue that I got for a great price, and it was to be backup for my Mesa Lone Star
Special. But the Fender and I didn't get along. It sounded harsh, and I just couldn't get what I wanted from it.
So eventually, cut my losses and took it to my music vendor to see what they'd give me. They offered a really nice price, so I set about searching for a replacement. Ever since a couple of incidents where I had one amp and it had problems or crapped out (resulting in my having to run through the board -- yuk) I've always wanted to carry a backup amp as well as guitar.
Anyhow, played a few different amps, then tried this one.
www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?id=391&cat=63&type=3
I was quickly sold on its tone, ease of use and relatively light weight (especially compared to the pig-heavy Lone Star).
Got a good price on it, and once I got it home it really grew on me. I took it to a gig, and used it with the Mesa as a backup, and guess what? I liked it better, and the mates agreed the singing sustain and overall tone was actually on par or better than the Mesa. So as of now, the Traynor is #1 with the Mesa #2, which is kinda weird, but works for me.
Then, another nice surprise when my Zonkin Yellow Screamer arrived, built for me by our own DVM. Perfect condition, timely delivery, and a very sweet looking pedal, although more busy than other drivers I've owned. I really wanted to try this after hearing the tones Robert got from it, and also because the idea of combining boost and drive in one pedal appealed. Previously I've used a Blues Driver, gain cut back, level way up, as a boost, and a TS9 for drive. That worked well, but the idea of combining the two in one and opening another space on the pedalboard was appealing.
I've really only started working with the yellow screamer, but already see it offers great overdrive variety, from normal to wonderfully thick (great for our Santana stuff). And the boost is killer also. Tonight will work with another feature, juggling order of boost and gain to see what that does.
All this, with a big gig this weekend at the town's top blues rock joint. Hopefully the new rig will live up to its potential.
Now it's two guitars, Strat and Tele, into an A/B, into a Boss tuner, then a stereo chorus, the yellow screamer and a Crybaby batting cleanup, into the Traynor on the 25 watt setting (haven't tried the 90-watt option yet).
Should be fun.

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
New gear that works out well is a beautiful thing.....congrats! :dude

Brian Krashpad
December 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
That amp looks bosstastic. Very cool that you can bump it back to 20-something watts.

Congrats!

Spudman
December 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Nice. I wonder why they don't mention what the tube configuration is? Is it a secret?