PDA

View Full Version : Cannot budge truss rod

long past dead
December 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have a 30 year old Ibanez Acoustic. It is in great shape and sounds good. However it is getting a slight back bow. I tried to turn the truss rod counter clockwise but cannot budge it. I am afraid something will break. In all these years I have never had to adjust the truss rod and maybe that is why it is locked in place. Any suggestions? All things considered I would rather live with the bow than break the neck if need be.

markb
December 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
It's probably rusted. Apply a penetrating oil around the nut and the end of the rod. Leave overnight and try again. You may need to do this three or four times before the rust loosens enough. Don't use brute force.

evenkeel
December 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
A couple other ideas.
1. After dropping on a bit of penetrating oil, tap the nut or rod a bunch of times. Apply more oil, then tap some more. You do not need to wack it. The tapping will help to work the oil into the stuck threads.
2. Counter intuitive, but very, very carefully see if the nut will move the other way. Only a very small amount. Not even a 1/16 of a turn. Apply oil, then go back the other way. Slowly and carefully work the nut back and forth, adding oil.

long past dead
December 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback and info I will try this.

Dauntless
December 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Just want to remind you to only use a few drops, don't soak it as the wood will absorb the excess. :thwap