PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy

Bluenote
December 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to briefly introduce myself before I post more messages or questions.

My name is Lee and I live in Wisconsin Rapids, WI., U.S.A. I'm in my 40's and started practicing guitar daily about 3 months ago. I am learning theory from books.

I have an Alvarez AD60 acoustic, a Cordoba C5 classical, and just purchased my first electric guitar which is a red Hagstrom Viking. I've owned the acoustic guitars for a while but decided recently to see if I could discipline myself to go further than two or three chords with them.

As a teenager I listened to bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, Neil Young, etc. Later on I started listening to Pat Metheny (First Circle) and from him other jazz music. I like some of the blues guys like Muddy Waters, B.B. King, R.L. Burnside, and so on. The Gipsy Kings are probably the band that influenced me to buy the Cordoba.

I could go on about music that I like and all of that but I don't want to stray too far from being brief about this introduction if I haven't already. Thanks to everyone that helped with my questions on the Viking!

marnold
December 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Welcome from another 40-something Wisconsinite!

luvmyshiner
December 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Welcome aboard Bluenote.

Algonquin
December 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the Fret Lee!
Cheers :beer:
David

Robert
December 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Welcome new guy!
Good to have ya here.

Spudman
December 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Lee. Welcome to the forum. If you have any questions fire away. We love to help.

FrankenFretter
December 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hey Lee! I'm also in my 40s, and just started playing again a couple years ago, after a long hiatus. Glad to have you here! Welcome!

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Welcome Lee! Good to know a bit more about you. I am also a 40 something player, and started playing/practicing regularly about 3.5 years ago. Sure is a fun way spend some time. Enjoy that new Viking! Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Steve

EDIT: Being new, you probably are as yet unaware of the requirement of pics being posted for new guitar acquisitions. Better get on it so we can see your new Vik to see how your red one looks. :AOK

Commodore 64
December 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Hi Lee, I'm in my mid-30's and started practicing guitar in earnest in August of this year. Very similar background to you, as I've had acoustics off an on for the last 10 years but never learned much more than some chords.

tot_Ou_tard
December 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Welcome Lee!

I'm a late-40-something who starting playing a few years ago myself.

It's good that you have decided to put more effort into playing.

Chords? What's a chord? ;)

evenkeel
December 3rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
Welcome to thefret. 40 something!!! :what Just a young 'un.

duhvoodooman
December 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
40's?? A mere pup! Welcome to The Fret from one of us old farts (58)!

wingsdad
December 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Welcome, Lee :)

Those 3 guitars of yours were wisely chosen :AOK They'll enable you to explore that broad range of styles and sounds that interest you as your proceed & progress on your journey and their quality will facilitate that.

Tig
December 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Like FrankenFretter, I've also returned to playing after many years off. It's nice having a little more patience to develop skills and theory this time!

Anyway, welcome to The Fret, Lee. Nice guitar choices, and yes, pixxors are manditory! :drool:

oldguy
December 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
:wave: Welcome to TheFret! :wave:

Bluenote
December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone so far for the warm welcome.

And thanks for the compliments on the guitar choices. My wife never seems to understand the (perfectly clear) logic I use to explain the necessity of these purchases. And I'm not even spending all that much money! Maybe it will get easier once my playing gets better.

I can see by some of the pics you guys have posted that this must not be an issue for you! By the way, I will try to get some pics up soon.:D

Geoffrey Charles
December 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome Bluenote!

Brian Krashpad
December 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome Lee!

It's fun to see people taking up guitar at all ages, congrats!

bigG
December 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Welcome to The Fret! :beer: