PDA

View Full Version : DVM - can you make tiny, narrow pedals?

Robert
December 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I would probably add more pedals to my pedal board if I could fit them on... so instead of getting a bigger board, how about make smaller pedals? The width is the key factor.

Take a look at these - great size for a crowded pedal board!

DVM - is this something you might want to do as well? I think there is extra value in more narrow pedals, in that guys like me are more likely to buy a pedal that isn't using a lot of real estate! :crazyguy

http://www.rjpguitarstudios.com/ccdata/images/smallMain_3_83.jpg http://www.gearwire.com/media/catalinbread-ottavamagus.jpg http://www.12fret.com/new/Catalin_pedals_Hyper_Pak.jpg

marnold
December 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Nothing like a pedal you could unknowingly inhale :)

My guess would be that you would be limited to very, very simple circuits.

Robert
December 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM

Simple is good! I can just have more of them to get more "complexity"... I do prefer pedals that do one thing, and do it well. I never fiddle with my pedals when I'm playing anyway - I'm too busy pretending to play guitar! :pancake

duhvoodooman
December 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
That is certainly one important constraint. You've still got to get the components on a board of some type, and DIY pedal makers can't use those tiny little surface-mount components, so the circuitry can't be very big/complicated. Also, the I/O jacks take up a fair amount of real estate, further reducing the space available for the electronics.

The other issue that you get into is lack of commercially available PCB's to build such effects on, which means you either have to find (or make) a layout and create your own PCB, or do the thing on perf- or veroboard. And either of those options gets into a significant investment of time. And as everyone knows, time = $$$. For what I'd have to charge for one, you prolly wouldn't want to pay.

OTOH, a large variety of effects can be built from kits or commercially available PCBs using a standard 125B size enclosure, which is a mere 2.5" wide. As long as you use a layout with the I/O jacks at the top, those boxes really don't take up much room.

guitartango
December 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have a seymour duncan pickup booster with the input jacks and power supply on top.

Nice pedal by the way

duhvoodooman
December 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
I have a seymour duncan pickup booster with the input jacks and power supply on top.
Yeah, that's how Keith Vonderhulls at BYOC is designing all his new pedals, as well as going back and redoing many of his older designs with this more space-efficient layout. The Leeds Fuzz (new BYOC design) and Overdrive 2 (redesign of the original Overdrive) released last January were his first pedals to feature that layout. Several others have issued since.

hubberjub
December 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM
What about rehousing a couple of pedals into the same case? Obviously pedal order would have to be considered. Could a BYOC comp. and an overdrive both be placed in a box the size of their analog delay? You would at least save the space taken up by the cables.

Spudman
December 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM

They'd certain have to come with infant warnings on them, but that could be the whole marketing move.

duhvoodooman
December 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
What about rehousing a couple of pedals into the same case? Obviously pedal order would have to be considered. Could a BYOC comp. and an overdrive both be placed in a box the size of their analog delay? You would at least save the space taken up by the cables.
Not with the existing PCB's, which are sized to the enclosure provided. An enclosure big enough to house both stock PCBs would end up being as big or bigger than the two separate effects, side by side. It could be done, but would involved a custom-made PCB or moving the whole thing to veroboard. So same impact as above--very time-consuming, and thus very expensive.

Then again, money is probably no object to guys who buy Heritage guitars 4 at a time, eh? :poke ;) :rotflmao: