PDA

View Full Version : Bought myself a nice wood box...

Auriemma
December 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
For my birthday (is 45 old?), my OWMBO let me loose at the local GC. (mistake) I was suppose to buy a Korg PitchBlack, play a few and come home. 2-1/2 hours later she calls me and asks where I am. "In the acoustic room... and a guitar has attached itself to me" (actually several had). She begged me to put it down and run. So I did (the talk of new guitars upsets her greatly). 5 minutes later she calls back and asks how much. :) You can pretty much guess the rest.

I originally brought home a Martin XC1T Ellipse. I love ebony fret boards and the Ellipse Blend Preamp sounded great. Acoustically the XC1T was nice, plugged in even better (sound familiar?). Then I realized why I liked it. It sounded like my O's. Thats NOT what I wanted. That and the the "Made in Mexico" label, HPL sides and back, and unfinished top made me reconsider. So I went back the next day and A-B-C'ed the XC1T against an OM-1 and a D-1. After an hour of noodling, I chose home the OM-1. It sounds better than the XC1T unplugged (warmer and sweeter) and a different sound from the O's. The nicely grained rosewood FB I can live with. The Stratabond neck doesn't bother me at all, though the action could come down a touch. Its quite comfortable to play. Its the 1-3/4" nut and no preamp are taking some time to get used too.

I haven't taken any pics yet so here is an online pic for now.
http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/images/product/9837/P_9837_L00.jpg

Oh.. and the wife's conditions on this new purchase? No new guitars or equipment (discussed or bought) until 2011. Strings and maintenance are OK. The reward should I do this? A nicer, higher end Martin guitar early 2011, along with a trip to the factory.

Its going to be a LONG year.

bigG
December 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Congrats, man! Believe it or not, that very same Martin is next on my list, the OM-1!

My local Martin dealer doesn't have any 1-Series in stock yet, so I'm just waiting. A GREAT Martin for the $!!!!

Good choice, IMHO! :applause

Enjoy it!

evenkeel
December 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the new Martin. :applause :AOK

This is the first report of the new "1" series I've heard/read. Great to hear the gang in Nazareth has got a winner.

Re: the action. I think Martin has a tendency to ship the guitars with the action a bit high. At the nut and the saddle. GC should make that right for little or no charge.

FrankenFretter
December 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I'll be 45 in March, so no, that's not old. Happy birthday, and congrats on the new guitar!

sunvalleylaw
December 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Looks great! Congrats! I just got my first Martin and I love it.

Geoffrey Charles
December 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Congrats on the new addition!

Brian Krashpad
December 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Congrats and good luck luck with the wifely prohibition.