PDA

View Full Version : Another Local Craiglister--'65 Deluxe Reverb RI

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Here's another one that just popped up on the local Craigslist--an early version of the '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. The owner tells me it's a mid-90's amp, with the Eminence speaker they initially put in these before switching to the Jensens. Appears to be well cared for--see photo below. He's asking $675, which seems a bit high for ~15 year-old amp, but I'm guessing that's a starting point. He's close by, so I may be able to see/play through it today.

Looking for any/all inputs re: this model & comparisons to the Princeton Reverb RI I'm also looking at....

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/744b1d1eba907ec.jpg

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Deluxe over Princeton. Keep the Junior still.

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Tone, but buying the DRRI and keeping the Blues Jr. is an "either-or" proposition! I don't have the space, the funding, or the need for two small Fender tube amps. And there's that divorce court thing, too....

sumitomo
December 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm with Tone,Tweed deluxe 5e3 tone or build a Deluxe or Princetone Reverb,I think your ears would be much happier,those are good amps(the reissues)but they seem to be lacking something.Sumi:D P.S. that is why I am so hesitent in fixing my Super,because when you start replacing caps,resistors the tone does change.

oldguy
December 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM
You sound like you're jonesing for a Deluxe, Vood. While they are a good amph, I'd say stick w/ the BluesJr. The Deluxe has one sound, a good sound, yes, but only one. Plus reverb and vibrato, as it's called. And 9 tubes to change when the time comes.
I'd keep the Blues Jr. 15 watts isn't that much less than 22, either.:nope
That's my free opinion, take if for what it's worth.:bootyshake

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I will say though that if you run into a Silver Face Vibrolux Reverb tell me about it and I'll snag it. ;)

sumitomo
December 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Tone there is a guy around here (Bend,Oregon) who is selling a mint non master silver Twin,you can see it on craigslist.Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2009, 10:20 AM
The Twins are too clean for me. Thanks for the heads up though Sumi.

marnold
December 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'd do some searching on the Fender forum (http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html). There are tons of threads on these amphs there.

I guess these threads beg the questions:
a) What are you looking for from a DRRI or PRRI that the Blues Jr. isn't giving you?
2) Are you sure that these amphs will provide that?

tunghaichuan
December 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
DVM,

My $.02:

The Blues Jr. is what it is: a decent amp, but PCB. If I were you, I'd look at maybe hunting down a Silverface Princeton Reverb. The build quality is going to be lots better than the PCB-based reissues. You may be able to find a Princeton Reverb in the $600-$700 area if you look hard enough.

The reissues will have PCBs, PCB-mount sockets, ribbon connectors, etc. All of these things will make the amp less reliable than the old tag board built amps.

tung

sumitomo
December 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hey Vood here's just something to think about,on my Bandmaster,man I really liked that amph,It had character,I say had because I had it redone,caps resistors,ect.It is a totally different amph,quiet clean ect.now that's not bad,but it's not the tone that caught my ears,if I had to do it again,I would have not changedf the resistors,even if they strayed so much,the caps,caps in the tone circuit,bright caps,ect.I really feel that was it.I would change one resistor try it,play it for awhile ect.all those little things add up.Sumi:D PS another thing I learned was to use a say 20 or 30 watt OT in my 40 watt amphs it gives me that breakup at lower volumes that I like.

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I guess these threads beg the questions:
a) What are you looking for from a DRRI or PRRI that the Blues Jr. isn't giving you?
2) Are you sure that these amphs will provide that?
The features that these two RI amps offer that interest me are:

That classic 6V6-based Fender blackface tone. The Blues Junior uses EL84 output tubes, which I'll have covered with the new 18W Trinity head I'll be building, as well as my Epi Valve Jr., though that's single-ended.
Tube-driven reverb and tremolo. The Blues Junior's reverb is OK, but no better.

But the above comments are very helpful and thought-provoking, and there's no big rush for me to move on this. So maybe I'll just cool it for now....

piebaldpython
December 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hey Vood.....if you're looking to max out what you can get out of your Blues Jr.....you might want to check over on the Fender site for the Bill M. mods. He does a couple of mods on BJR's that supposedly are great. Just a head's up in case you wanted to go that route.

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks, PBP, but I've already gone that route. Did the "TwinStack" mod, the tone stack cap change mods, and installed a bias pot for the output tubes and rebiased less hot. Also installed a Jensen C12N speaker. It's a good sounding little amp, but you know how the never ending quest for tone goes.... :rolleyes: ;)

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks, all. You guys convinced me--not going to rush into this for now.

ZMAN
December 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to weigh in late but I feel the 65 Deluxe is probably one of the best amps I have ever heard. I have one and it is the sweetest tone of any amp I own. I also own a couple of Marshalls and a Blues junior Special edition, Jensen. I don't have the BillM mods on my Bj but I would say the 65 blows it out of the water on tone. Lightweight and compact yet loud enough for gigs. They are used as session amps and my guitar tech uses them as test mules for his tech workshop, so they are very reliable. One bad tube in 3 years, but only home use.
I have owned two Super Reverbs 1965 and a 1970, a Vibrolux Reverb Reissue, and Blues Deluxe Reissue, and the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue is my overall favourite.