PDA

View Full Version : Worn Brown Les Paul Studio

ZMAN
December 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I am currently looking for a Worn Brown Les Paul Studio. I am looking for the one that came with the Burstbuckers. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? My only experience was with the worn brown SG.
My buddy loaned me his for a couple of weeks and I really liked the feel of it. It really was close to my 1968 SG, but with the open coil 490/498 combo.
The Studio comes with a Gibson case as well.
Any thoughts?

hubberjub
December 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
They seem like a really good value for a Les Paul. The Burst Buckers would be a big plus as I didn't care for the 490 series pickups in my Les Paul Studio. I've seen some people take some fine steel wool and linseed oil (or something similar) and get some nice semi-glossy results with those worn finishes.

Tig
December 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
That is one of my choices for a best bang/tone for the buck HH guitar. Solid mahogany body with no maple cap sure makes for a smooth, slighty dark tone. The burst buckers are my favorite Gibson brand pickups.

While I love beautifully topped LP's with bindings, there's something to say about these simple, function-over-form guitars. Besides, they are beautiful in their own right.

ZMAN
December 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
As you probably know I have just about every style of LP. I am more interested in the look and tone from this guitar. I have already tried the SG in this series and found it to be a wonderful guitar, with some really nice tones from the uncovered 490/498 combo. It doesn't hurt that I am big fan of that combo in my LPs.
Being close to Christmas and with the economy the way it is I am hoping to pick one up pretty reasonably.
I have already had two emails from people wanting to sell their regular Studios, one in Fireburst, which I already have. The Add has been on Kiijiji for 2 hours.
We shall see.
Does anyone own one, and are there any things to look for?

hubberjub
December 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
The only bad thing I've seen on these is the frets might need a little attention. The ones I have played in GC have been hit or miss in terms of filing the fret ends. I really like the feel of the satin finish and the chambering/weight relief make this a surprisingly light ax. I see them go for 600-700 used around here. That's a pretty good value.

Blaze
December 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I ve found this link while Googlin to watch pictures of it ..

Burstbuckers equiped..

http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_LPSTWBCH1/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Guitar-Faded-Worn-Brown.aspx

http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/images/product/4704/P_4704_S00.jpg

ZMAN
December 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Funny thing Blaze most of the online distributors are either back ordered or "coming soon" . I will go with a good used one. I think they are a prime candidate for some "plastic" upgrades. Maybe a set of Cream rings and pickguard, and a nice set of top hat gold knobs. I might even go with a set of mismatched gold knobs ala Bonomassa. LOL
Also I have heard that you can polish them with Virtuoso brand polish and they come up like gloss.

mrmudcat
December 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I added a rsguitarworks kit(really improved the tone inmo on the 490/498 added a plastic gaurd no screws and black speed knobs..........also reliced the relicced parts a lil..................:happy

Brian Krashpad
December 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I vaguely recall some folks who bought the all-mahogany Studios, at least early on in the run, reported that the chambering had been done so quickly that wood shavings or some foreign material (no telling what without a bandsaw) got into the chambers. This apparently happened enough for them to coin a term for it-- "baby rattle."

I haven't heard of that in quite awhile, so it may have been something that Gibson got sorted, but you may wanna give the guitar a shake if you get one.

;)

ZMAN
December 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM
You know Brian I had heard that about them and forgot about it. Thanks for the heads up. I have found one reasonably close and I am in negotiations online as we speak. They of course want way too much. I will see how it goes.

Brian Krashpad
December 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Break a leg man!

ZMAN
December 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I went into my local guy and he had one in the used room. It was the Red Mahogany. Man are they rough. The neck seemed like it had no finish what so ever. I really want the Worn Brown one for sure now. I only had a couple of minutes and didn't plug it in. I haven't heard back from the online seller, so maybe my low offer scared them off. I guess they never heard of "negotation".

ZMAN
December 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I found another one and again this one is not the worn brown, but the red mahogany. I am not a fan of that finish. This one is really mint according to the seller and was hardly played. He wanted 875 and he went to 700 in a flash. I told him I would offer 600 and use it as a trade. We shall see what he says. I really don't want the red but if I can pick it up for that price with the Burstbuckers and a Gibson case I will live with it.

Bilsdragon
March 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Zman, Did you ever find your worn brown LP?? I picked one up at GC last month. They offered 15% if you traded a guitar in on it. I parted with a Peavey that I never used. They gave me $125 for the Peavey so I got it home for under $600. I just love the tone of this LP. Since it's all mahogany it has such a dark tone. They had two worn brown and one satin black. I played all three for well over an hour before deciding on my worn brown. I really wanted to like the satin black when I saw them in person. The burst buckers, feel and tone of the wb kept me grabbing it off the stand. The sales guy was great he kept grabbing guitars, tuning them up then set them all around me to do back to back caomparos. I know it's a great guitar since I haven't played my others much since I got it. I bought Kluson Tone Pros locking tuners for it. Here it is before the lockers.

Brian Krashpad
March 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Zman, Did you ever find your worn brown LP?? I picked one up at GC last month. They offered 15% if you traded a guitar in on it. I parted with a Peavey that I never used. They gave me $125 for the Peavey so I got it home for under $600. I just love the tone of this LP. Since it's all mahogany it has such a dark tone. They had two worn brown and one satin black. I played all three for well over an hour before deciding on my worn brown. I really wanted to like the satin black when I saw them in person. The burst buckers, feel and tone of the wb kept me grabbing it off the stand. The sales guy was great he kept grabbing guitars, tuning them up then set them all around me to do back to back caomparos. I know it's a great guitar since I haven't played my others much since I got it. I bought Kluson Tone Pros locking tuners for it. Here it is before the lockers.

Congrats!

Looks great.

:applause

ZMAN
March 30th, 2010, 07:40 AM

No I kind of changed directions. I actually traded my Fireburst Gibson Studio for a 2008 Marshall DSL100.
So I am still looking for a worn brown. All of the ones I have seen locally are the red mahogany color. One will turn up. I looked at my Gibson stuff and I don't have a guitar with Burst Buckers, so I am hoping one will turn up at a reasonable price.

Bilsdragon
March 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Well, don't give up the search. This guitar is the most bang for the buck in my opinion. The neck has a real hand shaped feel to it as well. I was always afraid that I would bang my Epi Elitist and mar the finish. This guitar is rather plain to look at which I think makes me relax more and enjoy playing it.

Geraint Jones
March 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I think they`re a great looking guitar , did you compare it to any other LPs with burstbuckers fitted ?

Bilsdragon
March 31st, 2010, 05:14 AM
He probably has, but not at that price.

Danzego
April 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I picked up a Worn Brown one last year over the summer and I love this guitar. I've played several since, but this one feels better to me than all of the other ones I tried.

However, I'm actually thinking about swapping out the Burstbuckers in mine. I think I want something a little less bright on the bridge pickup and not quite as thick (some would say "muddy") on the neck pickup. I'm thinking perhaps a pair of Gibson '57 Classics would do the trick, but I'm not quite sure. No one seems to have good comparison vids/sound bytes online.

Duffy
April 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
My Epi Tribute LP has fifty seven gibson USA pickups and they are real good sounding. They will stay in the Tribute.