PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice - Picking a Multi-EFX and/or Modeling Pedal

NPauly
September 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm looking to get a good multi effects or modeling pedal system. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are concering the following pedals ... Boss ME-50 and Line 6 POD-XT Live. My reason for looking into buying a multi effects pedal is that I recently bought a Traynor YCV20WR and while I am loving my new amp I find that I miss the effects that have available on my Roland Cube. I initially figured that I should just got with the Boss ME-50 since it is an effects specific pedal, but once I realized that the Line 6 POD-XT Live is just a little more money I am wondering if I would be better of spending a little more for the Line 6.

Thanks,
Nick

Spudman
September 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM
NPauly

Recently I met the new guitarist for the Little River Band, Rich Herring. He has the Pod XT Live on his pedal board but only uses it for the ambient effects and uses none of the preamp or modeling stuff. His effect use is very subtle and he may use the Pod for harmonies too. I didn't ask him where the harmonies were coming from.

See this post. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1302

I have heard a lot of guys swearing by the Boss unit, but I guess you don't get amp modeling with it. If you think you might want to record with something other than your amp and effects then having a modeling unit is pretty handy. Also if your amp goes down then you have a backup. I'm not sure if the Boss unit would work well as a stand alone unit. The Pod would cover all your bases.

Now, in my opinion...I have found out after owning some modeling units that I would rather just have effects, digital programmable or analog. Either way. I like the sound of my amps and would rather just shape my sound rather than try to model other amps AND add effects. The options become too much for my pea sized brain. Also, I've heard more people displeased with the Pod floor unit than the Boss unit.

It sounds like you have a really good amp and if I were you I'd go Boss...unless you need a back-up amp in which case the Pod makes more sense.

Lev
September 11th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Hi NPauly,

Have you considered the new generation of Zoom effects. I bought the G2.1u about 6 months ago and have used it successfully in front of a few amps. It also has a USB connection to your PC and comes free with Cubase LE software. The delay and chorus effects are sensational, the clean models are good and the heavier models really work for satriani/vai type tones. For the bluesy/overdriven tones I still use my amp by bypassing the Zoom unit but this is my main FX unit now for only about $150.

I haven't tried the newer higher spec versions yet (G7.1 ans G9.1) but they're worth checking out before you take the plunge and buy the POD or Boss. Check the reviews on harmony-central or zooms website also has audio samples. :)