PDA

View Full Version : Replacing plugs on a Planet Waves cable. Quick Tip :)

Ch0jin
December 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd drop a quick note on you in the hopes it might help someone out down the track.

I had to replace the plug on a Planet Waves guitar lead just now. The plug didn't die, (PW plugs are built hardcore. Something you'll likely only discover if you carve them apart with a razor like I did...) I managed to snap the wires -inside- the lead from too much rocking out on my couch. Anyway, I cut out the faulty section and start stripping back the wire to make ready for some new Neutrik right angle plugs and discover that there are actually two cores and a shield instead of the single core and shield I was expecting. A quick measure and I'm thinking it's a shield wire, a ground, and obviously the hot wire. Fancy!

Anyway, long story shorter, If you find yourself replacing the plug on one of these, remember the shield (the copper mesh stuff round the outside) needs to be connected to the ground wire which will be one of the two in the centre. Use your multimeter, the ground and shield wires will measure dead short. I soldered these together, then both of them to the sleeve pad on the plug. Then of course solder your signal wire to the tip as normal.

If you:

A. Short both the centre cables and connect shield as usual, you will get no sound at all and the cable will measure dead short. This is bad.

B. Leave the ground cable disconnected, you will get something like half the volume out the other end of the cable (due to the way the existing PW plug is wired).

So yeah. Just in case someone gets stuck on this :)

P.S. These Neutrik right angle plugs are worth the extra cost so far. Very tasty.

Spudman
December 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Great tip thanks for posting.

A long time ago back in the 80s I remember some cables like that. They figured doing it that way mad for a much quieter cable or something. I had completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it. I don't think I ever had to repair one though.

Neutrik is good stuff for sure. Definitely worth the cost if you do your own repairs. I use a few on my cables as well. I like the grip for unplugging etc. Easy to grab and pull straight so there is no wiggle that over time can potentially wear out the jack or the plug.

Telewanger
December 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I just solder on some Switchcraft ends on all my wiring and they last forever. There is nothing like a true solder connection.

Ch0jin
December 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM
The Neutriks -are- solder connections....