PDA

View Full Version : how you know you got a good xmas present

Childbride
December 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
so... early early [early] this morning, i got up to go out of county for court.

i had just enough time to ck on shipping for Shiner's xmas present.

[it hit mesquite tx last night]

so i travel to two diff counties, come home late,

box on pool table.

he holds out valiantly for several hours, and i finally get him to open said present.

he's been grinning now, officially, for two hours, and still goofing with said present.

so i think i did good. :happy

piebaldpython
December 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
So.......uh.....what didja get him?

Since you wrote this under the acoustic side.......my guess is that it isn't something from the Darkside. OOH........didja get him something low down and dirty like a RESO? Spill the beans CB.

wingsdad
December 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'll take a SWAG: mando? :socool

Childbride
December 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
:notme

not saying, that is for him to say.

but he broke a string already.

i have to swing by a local music store tomorrow. :happy

luvmyshiner
December 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
See anything new?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/12090901.jpg

Unfortunately my destiny as a mando player is not looking good. I tuned her up and tried to play her, then realized that the saddle was bottomed out which was why I couldn't fret any notes. Fixed the saddle, tried to tune her, and managed to break a string. So now I just get to look at her until tomorrow when I can pick up some new strings.

It's ok though, she's purdy!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/12090902.jpg

Robert
December 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cool, congrats! I would like to learn how to play mandolin. I have one in my basement that a friend let me borrow a year ago. Still haven't learned how to play anything on it... :whatever:

luvmyshiner
December 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks Robert. I keep trying to think about how to reverse chords with the inverse tuning (g d a e), and it just makes me dizzy!

wingsdad
December 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM
:thwap I swear, I had no real idea, Shiner or CB....just that Senor Shine had tossed a remark around hither & yon, now & then, sumthin' like: "Geez, Louise....one of them mando-lin thangs might be awful purdy.:poke

Sumthin' like that...anyway...nice goin', CB :bravo:

And, have a blast with your new little flea, Shiner.

Pick this book/cd combo up somewhere, and you'll be on your way in no time:
Fretboard Roadmaps-Mandolin (http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=695357&lid=0&keywords=HL00695357&subsiteid=1&)

street music
December 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Congrats Shiner, CB did it again. She got you a new toy, I can't wait to hear the first recorded song on that mando.

evenkeel
December 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Way cool. Have fun with the new little member of the herd.

slewis206
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hey Shiner,

Congrats on the Mando. I hope that you will be able to make more sounds than I could. It is either a bad set-up or too fat fingers or too skinny frets or any one of those other "too" problems that have been holding me back. Best of luck and I just watched a fantastic biopic about Grissman/Garcia this afternoon.
Thought about you,,,,,

Steve

Childbride
December 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
she's restrung, and Shiner is currently jamming away on her, experimenting with chords.

['that lil sucker is LOUD'] from the bedroom just now

(the grin is back)

;) whole nother layer to the Shiner jamming now. :happy

Spudman
December 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It looks t'me like one uv dem geetars gots warshed in hot water. It's smaller dan de rest. Cute though.

Kazz
December 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Time for some Maggie May now.

street music
December 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Shiner, I can get some bluegrass down to you soon.

pes_laul
December 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Well I guess it's better than the Banjo :P

Hehe looks good shiner. I've dinked with mandolin but I don't quite get it as I don't know what its really tuned to.

wingsdad
December 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM
...I've dinked with mandolin but I don't quite get it as I don't know what its really tuned to.
Same as a violin.

Or, from a guitar player's POV: the bottom 4 strings, in reverse order, in unison pairs, and tuned lo to hi:
G-G
D-D
A-A
E-E

Put another way: chords you play using just the low 4 strings on the guitar get fingered upside-down.

And that's why it's a popular Blew-Grass instro...:poke

luvmyshiner
December 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'll admit, it's been a challenge. The frets are spaced very close, and there is little room between the strings. If you've got big ole' fat fingers like me, it ain't easy. But damn, it sounds so cool!

pes_laul
December 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Same as a violin.

Or, from a guitar player's POV: the bottom 4 strings, in reverse order, in unison pairs, and tuned lo to hi:
G-G
D-D
A-A
E-E

Put another way: chords you play using just the low 4 strings on the guitar get fingered upside-down.

And that's why it's a popular Blew-Grass instro...:poke
So if you gave it to a lefty would they be able to play it fine? :thwap