PDA

View Full Version : Inescapability

Eric
December 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Back in July of 2007 I donated bone marrow (specifically bone marrow stem cells) for a guy I was matched up with through the national marrow donor program. Everything went well, and he was doing great through the first year. I met him and his wife in September of last year, and he had just started coming off of his meds.

I got a call from his wife yesterday that he passed away in March of this year. She didn't know how to mention that to me, so I think that's why she had waited until now. He went into the hospital around Christmas of last year due to graft vs. host and just never really bounced back.

It's too bad, and it's odd to be so closely connected to someone who dies like this. It's one thing to lose a relative, but never having lost a sibling or parent, this is something different for me. In the end, it's fortunate that he got another year and change because of the transplant, but I still feel really...sad.

Maybe it's still sinking in.

oldguy
December 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I feel for you, Eric, but you should be happy as well. You did something for a fellow human, and he benefited from it, as well as from knowing you.:applause
For that, I am happy to know you, even if it's just on a website.
I feel fortunate.:thankyou

sumitomo
December 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
+1 on what the old guy said,and thanks for sharing and being an example for the rest of us Eric.God Bless Ya! Sumi:D

bigG
December 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm feel for you, Eric, but you should be happy as well. You did something for a fellow human, and he benefited from it, as well as from knowing you.:applause
For that, I am happy to know you, even if it's just on a website.
I feel fortunate.:thankyou

Agreed. I salute you, Eric!

Sorry for the loss, my friend. Ya just never know.

FrankenFretter
December 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
From what I've heard about bone marrow extractions, I have to take my hat off to you, Eric. I think that's very commendable. I know that's not why you posted this thread, but it still holds true.

I'm very sorry for your loss. That would be very difficult, I imagine. I'm sure that your gift was appreciated very much, no matter what the outcome was.

-Sean

Tig
December 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Wow, talk about a gift... Life itself. Precious.
As a former paramedic/firefighter, I was lucky to save a few lives now and then, but never by such a sacrifice. It takes a real hero to do what you did, so never forget that.

Even though the results didn't keep him alive for several years as hoped for, the donation gave this man his life back. His family and friends shared your gift as well. Look at the pyramid of goodness you made and how it affected so many others, including inspiring internet pals like us.

I know that doesn't take much of the pain and feelings of loss away, but sometimes all we have to get through it are those shreds of goodness. It's OK to feel sad. I pity the people I know that don't feel at all.

wingsdad
December 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Eric, you provided a chance for that guy to extend his life with his family and friends and, for them, with him. It didn't turn out to last as long as was hoped, but it doesn't detract from the fact that matching compatible marrow donors is literally finding a needle in a haystack. It was indeed a rare blessing you were able to bestow.

I've been on the marrow donor registry for 4 years. Will I ever get the call? And if I do, will I be healthy enough, worthy as you were, to provide the gift?

I'm sorry and saddened for you, while admiring you for your courage and humanity. Peace, Eric.

evenkeel
December 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I can't add anything to what has already been said. Good on ya for making such a huge difference in someones life. :applause :applause

luvmyshiner
December 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Thank you for starting my day out right Eric, and reminding me that there really are good caring people out there who are willing to sacrifice.

duhvoodooman
December 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Eric, your gift extended this man's time with family & friends, and what could be more precious than that? Temper your grief with the assurance that your donation made this extra time possible.

Eric
December 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all of the nice words. I appreciate it.

In truth, the actual procedure wasn't too bad. You take the drug Neupogen for 5 days to bring stem cells into the blood stream, then do something like a platelet donation/dialysis (i.e. they recirculate the blood and isolate the cells) for about 3-4 hours on the actual day and you're done. The whole drilling-into-the-hip process is not used too much anymore.

Thanks for helping me see the other sides to the story.