PDA

View Full Version : Old, Old guitars

evenkeel
December 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I took in a guitar today to a local luthier for some minor repair work. The guy used to be the repair person for Gibson when they were in Kalamazoo. His home is a virtual museum of old, odd, interesting guitars, banjos, ukes', mandos, and all kinds of other stringed things. He has no exact idea how many stringed instruments he owns, but it's in the 250-300 range. A lot of old Lyon and Healy, Washburn, Regal, parlor guitars dating from the 30's to as old as the turn of the century. Several harp guitars from the '20's and 30's. Some pre civil war guitars. A bunch of old Stella, Harmony, Kay type guitars w/ Cowboy scenes painted on them. Just an amazing collection of stringed instruments. One very odd mando had a bowl shaped back made from an armadillo! :what

I played one old Lyon and Healy parlor and was blown away. The volume and tone from this tiny little guitar was amazing. I thought it would sound like a uke, but it had all this bass and overtones. Huge sound. A mid 30's Gibson L0 was also just an incredible guitar. So much sound from such a little box. One of the harp guitars was a very old Gibson which I was afraid to even touch. The luthier, charlie, however said, "it's just a guitar go ahead". Nice attitude. I did play a unlabeled harp guitar. Charlie felt it was built by one of the better "Chicago" brands in the teens or early 20's. Tuned down a step with all those drone strings humming it away it was like having an orchestra in your lap. But very awkward to hold and play.

Spudman
December 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Wow, that sounds awesome. I would have loved to see what he had. Can you get some photos if you go back? That would be like a shrine or something.

Tig
December 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Cool place, I'll bet. Maybe he'll put you in his will if you're nice enough! :dude

Reminds me a little of a house I visited back in my fire/EMS days. The owner was one of Mohamed Ali's long time trainers. It was like a boxing museum featuring photos and memorabilia of Ali.

Also, if you ever visit Pensacola, FL, be sure to visit the old bar (forgot the name) in the old part of town. It is like a museum of the complete history of the Navy Blue Angels.

sumitomo
December 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
that's awesome!if that mando(the armadillo) has 10 strings it was probably a charango,from Peru.Sumi:D

evenkeel
December 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
that's awesome!if that mando(the armadillo) has 10 strings it was probably a charango,from Peru.Sumi:D
Very cool Sumi. It may well have 10 strings. He said he got it on a trip to S. America when he was sourcing wood. He also said those kinds of instruments are banned now due to the endangered species act.

sumitomo
December 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I got one last year in Ecuador,it's wood.I can play a few things on it.I'd really like to learn more chords on it and how to rapid fire my strumming so I could add another flavor to the hispanic church music.Sumi:D

Brian Krashpad
December 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Wow, that sounds awesome. I would have loved to see what he had. Can you get some photos if you go back? That would be like a shrine or something.

Haha, that was my first thought too-- pics?!