PDA

View Full Version : Name this type of chord

pes_laul
December 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
So there's this chord I use quite alot.

Basically its The root note, the 5th interval, then a second interval an octave up

So if were in the key of C it would be

C
G
D for the notes

tabbed it would be
-
-
-

hubberjub
December 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM
It depends on how you are using the chord. I would probably call it a Csus2. It's used quite a bit in rock and popular music. The intro to Satellite by Dave Matthews Band and the arpeggiated chords in SOS by the Police both use that chord heavily.

Kodiak3D
December 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
According to my iPhone app, it's a Csus2 and/or a Gsus4. Hubberjub knows his stuff.

aeolian
December 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Definitely a Csus2. From what I learned in guitar lessons a suspended chord leaves out the 3rd, if it is a sus2 chord the 2nd is substituted for the 3rd, and if it is a sus4 chord then the 4th is substituted. So a Csus4 chord would be C F G.

Kodiak3D
December 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Definitely a Csus2. From what I learned in guitar lessons a suspended chord leaves out the 3rd, if it is a sus2 chord the 2nd is substituted for the 3rd, and if it is a sus4 chord then the 4th is substituted. So a Csus4 chord would be C F G.

I didn't say it was a Csus4. I (or rather, my Guitarist Reference iPhone app) said it was Csus2 and a Gsus4. :-)

jpfeifer
December 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hi,

Some people might call this voicing a Cadd9 also. Andy Summers in the Police used a lot of chord voicings like this. Listen to the guitar riff in "Message in a Bottle" for an example. I love these kind of chord voicings with the added 9th like this. They sound great for major chords and minor chords too. In the voicing that you described here it's neither major or minor since there isn't a 3rd. So you chould use these 3 notes to play over either one, if someone else (such as the keyboard player) were playing the full chord.

--Jim

pes_laul
December 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hmm so its a Sus2 chord?

Like if played

-
-
9 It would be a Asus2?

hubberjub
December 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hmm so its a Sus2 chord?

Like if played

-
-
9 It would be a Asus2?
-

That would be a Dsus2 if I'm reading your diagram correctly. The root being played on the fifth fret of the A string.

pes_laul
December 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
That would be a Dsus2 if I'm reading your diagram correctly. The root being played on the fifth fret of the A string.
Oh woops I wrote it wrong

but say the root was on the A. That would make it a Asus2 right?

hubberjub
December 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Jah mon.