PDA

View Full Version : If this isn't the best LP tone in the world....

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
...point me to something better. YIKES!!!

Recorded in mid-Oct. before a show in Des Moines, IA, so this is very current stuff. Just posted by Premier Guitar yesterday. There are two more vids recorded in the same session--one for his guitars and one for his effects.

LPeQLaFAvlE

ZMAN
December 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
You are 100% correct on that one. Ever since I got my copy of his Live DVD at the Royal Albert Hall, that tone has been stuck in my head. I found I have been only playing my Gibby LPs through my Marshall. I took out my $1500 Fender Deluxe Strat and played it for 1 minute and put it away. I use a little bit of Radial Tonebone hot british, and a very slight delay with the DD20. A little fulldrive, or OCD for overdrive and man I love it.

Robert
December 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Awesome, that sounds great.

Here is another guy with magnificent LP tone.

o9Ujm4HEXGc

hubberjub
December 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Great tone and Hilden does some excellent equipment demos on Youtube.

Ch0jin
December 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
That was a cool clip, thanks for posting :)

"...sounds like Eric Johnson, well duh!" Classic...

Also ties in nicely with that thread about how you use delay. That little bit of slap back really adds space to the tone.

Spudman
December 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I do like his sound. I learned something, "165", that I'm going to try right away. along with a few other tidbits. Thanks for posting that.

Ch0jin
December 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Spud I'm guessing you have a fancy digital delay huh :)

To set mine to 165ms would require a signal generator and a 'scope. I might just turn the knob till it sounds nice :)

Tig
December 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Here's a bit of sweet tone worth listening to, even if it isn't from a Les Paul...

yGJafrBw5UA

SuperSwede
December 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I loved the last comment about Eric Johnson ..

Awesome tone, definately not a cheap setup! :D

deeaa
December 13th, 2009, 02:47 AM

Recorded in mid-Oct. before a show in Des Moines, IA, so this is very current stuff. Just posted by Premier Guitar yesterday. There are two more vids recorded in the same session--one for his guitars and one for his effects.

Very nice, that delay coulda been left out though.

However I truly dislike these Youtube videos where people just talk and talk incessanltly and almost never actually play the instrument.

I guess I've spoken too much in my own sound clip videos as well but I gotta try to remember to keep the chatter to a minimum. Nothing is as annoying as waiting for 2 minutes for a clip to load and then listen to some dude mumble about his gear and whatever for another two and then finally get 10 seconds of sound example when you're pretty much ready to shoot yourself already. Jeez! Why can't they just play the thing keep the piehole stretching to a minimum.

Guitar-Chris
December 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Yeah that's Gregor Hilden, who is - talkin in american dimensions - nearly a neighbour of mine, living in Münster.

He has a real great private guitar collection and sells some diamond from time to time.

Look at his other youtube demo videos - he has a great tone on every type of guitar.

ZiKBhin27z0

oldguy
December 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Well, the other clips do sound good, but I think Bonamassa has the best sound of all of them. I may be thinking that since I saw him live last summer and still remember how awesome his live sound was, but his rig...even on a Youtube video...is still the best IMO.
And deaa.........some people are interested in the gig rig rundown, as in every piece of equipment, to know what's being used, hear it explained by the man himself. I got lots of nice shots of Joe's equipment from the front row last summer, with the exception of his pedals, which I couldn't see, as the stage was quite a bit higher than where I was standing. It was nice to get a glimpse of it in this video. I know what you mean about gear demos where the person never really plays, but in this case (Bonamassa) there are bunches of videos of him explaining his gear, and plenty more of him playing venues, and still more soundclips of his songs, both live and studio. So yeah, I was glad to hear him explain the gear, and just play it a bit. I know how he sounds, it's interesting to see how he gets that sound (Eric Johnson...hehehe...what a great sense of humor he has).

Blaze
December 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Joe s tone is so good and dispite the amps change all around the world , his tone is mostly sounding the same ....

He is usin different brands of amps in his 4 heads set up but the Silver Jubilee seems to travel worldwide with him..

In this thread here he is replyin about a good substitute for the Jubilee..

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12213

For those interested ,here s Joe s Posts and topics on his forum..

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/profile.php?id=58

ZMAN
December 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Here's a bit of sweet tone worth listening to, even if it isn't from a Les Paul...

yGJafrBw5UA
That is a humbucker guitar, just not a Gibby. It is a Fender Robben Ford ultra. Cira 1996. They came with Seymour Duncan HBs I have one of the later ones that was put out as a Squier. It has the Duncan Design pickups, and sounds pretty good. He plays that guitar on one of his instructional tapes. It is a sweet guitar. They were one of the first chambered solid bodies out there.

oldguy
December 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hey, Vood........this guy's no slouch, either. Of course, he's probably got a million dollars worth of gear there.:french

Y2_12Ler9B8

duhvoodooman
December 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
....Of course, he's probably got a million dollars worth of gear there.
That's probably not all that much of an exaggeration! I wouldn't be surprised if that ultra-rare '59 LP/Trainwreck combo was worth close to half a mil. I'll bet at least $300K....

oldguy
December 14th, 2009, 09:07 AM
:AOK
That's probably not all that much of an exaggeration! I wouldn't be surprised if that ultra-rare '59 LP/Trainwreck combo was worth close to half a mil. I'll bet at least $300K....
He says in the vid he's had them for years. One of those people who bought the right thing at the right time. Pretty awesome player, too. He really knows how to work the touch attack and ride the vol. controls and switch.
Joe's still 'da man, tho.

duhvoodooman
December 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Joe's still 'da man, tho.
I agree, though that's obviously s-o-o-o-o subjective. This amp demo made me pull out the Albert Hall concert DVD and listen to that again. Not only a fabulous performance, but probably the finest recorded sound I've ever heard on a live music DVD.

Joe is playing here in Albany on April 20 at a really nice concert venue called "The Egg (https://www.theegg.org/)", which is part of the NYS state capitol complex. They have two theatres there, and he'll be playing at the larger one, though it's still fairly small with a seating capacity of just under 1,000. Already have my tickets! :AOK :dude :rockon:

oldguy
December 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joe is playing here in Albany on April 20 at a really nice concert venue called "The Egg (https://www.theegg.org/)", which is part of the NYS state capitol complex. They have two theatres there, and he'll be playing at the larger one, though it's still fairly small with a seating capacity of just under 1,000. Already have my tickets! :AOK :dude :rockon:

That should be a great show. OT, but I really loved it in the related guitar video, when he was commenting on the untrimmed string.......left it that way to use it on the theremin! Classic!

ZMAN
December 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=duhvoodooman] The Albert Hall concert DVD and listen to that again. Not only a fabulous performance, but probably the finest recorded sound I've ever heard on a live music DVD.}

I totally agree. This has to be the best sound I have heard yet. It must be the Hall's acoustics. Even the Crossroads DVDs don't compare.

NWBasser
December 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM

o9Ujm4HEXGc

Very nice sound, indeed.

I also noted the tone of the jazz bass that when he digs in just a bit it gets that sweet "jazz growl" too. Was it a Sadowsky?

One of the big questions I had when I got my Epi Les Paul was "will it sound like the real thing?". Happily, I can answer, yes, it does!

ZMAN
December 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I am sorry guys I listened to all of the clips and none of them are even close.
I agree with Voodoman this is probably the best LP tone I have ever heard.
If you watch him closely you can see he almost never plays a note without finger vibrato. He is a total geek and I know he is meticulous about what goes into his rigs and the tone he gets out of his guitars.

Radioboy950
December 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It sounds great, and geeks like us can really appreciate the subtle differences in the amphs (subtle, at least in a YT clip). Those are some KILLER amphs, and the LP is my personal favorite.

BUT it's really tough (for me anyway) to declare that something is the best I've ever heard...ever. Too many great players, styles, amps, etc.

oldguy
December 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
It sounds great, and geeks like us can really appreciate the subtle differences in the amphs (subtle, at least in a YT clip). Those are some KILLER amphs, and the LP is my personal favorite.

BUT it's really tough (for me anyway) to declare that something is the best I've ever heard...ever. Too many great players, styles, amps, etc.

I agree. But I tend to fluctuate on "favorite" sounds. Right now I'm into the "fat, full, just a touch of delay, OMG-that's-awesome" tones and timbres.
Plus I saw Joe last summer, and was blown away by the fact he (and the sound engineer(s) he had could get that sound without fans leaving the venue with ears ringing. Absolutely first rate sound.

ZMAN
December 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I hope nobody misunderstands my "geek" comment. I meant it in a positive way. Not only is his technique amazing but his attention to the small details of his amps and pedals and his guitars, make his tone amazing. I think he gets the best out of all of his equpment and the venue. Worth the price of admission.

Radioboy950
December 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I hope nobody misunderstands my "geek" comment.

Not at all. The man is a brilliant player and into his craft.

oldguy
December 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I knew what you meant, Z. You are right, he does analyze every detail, and he's a good egg, a very down-to-earth person with a good sense of humor.

He still sounds like Eric Johnson, tho.:rollover

Blaze
December 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I agree. But I tend to fluctuate on "favorite" sounds. Right now I'm into the "fat, full, just a touch of delay, OMG-that's-awesome" tones and timbres.
Plus I saw Joe last summer, and was blown away by the fact he (and the sound engineer(s) he had could get that sound without fans leaving the venue with ears ringing. Absolutely first rate sound.

Here s Joe s reply on his delay_reverb effects set up..

''Hey everybody....
Heres how you do the delay thing.. 1st ( Jim your right) you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive. ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble.. Those are the two I use.. One side ( Marshall) put a DD-3 with all knobs set to 12 oclock, you may have to tweek them depending on the unit itself.. I have 6 DD-3s and they all sound a little different..Keeley makes a good version with a analog switch thats my current fav. Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp use a out board reverb (ex Boss digital reverb or old fender spring) or if your amp has reverb so much the better. Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus. Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe... So delay on one side reverb on the other. This makes it all naturally separate both on stage and in the house.. Next is the most imortant thing. The Delay must be run through the effects loop.. Running a delay in front the amp is extremely difficult to handle. It runs away from you and its hard to control. The effects loop is the only answer.. Now as far as effects loops are concerned. Standard Marshall ones wired in series are the best.. Stay away from the ones wired parallel with all the knobs and controls and switches. They are way too much work and render poor results.. The rest is personal taste.. more subtle or wet or inbetween is up to you.. Its also important to realize that this is not my original recipe, its Eric Johnson's circa 1988. Got to give credit were its due. Lots of racking my brain trying to figure that one out.
Thanks Joe Bonamassa "

MAXIFUNK
December 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah that's Gregor Hilden, who is - talkin in american dimensions - nearly a neighbour of mine, living in Münster.

He has a real great private guitar collection and sells some diamond from time to time.

Look at his other youtube demo videos - he has a great tone on every type of guitar.

ZiKBhin27z0

Maggot Brain .......................... NICE very nice indeed jazzy style very cool

ZMAN
December 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Man a simple tip can make a huge difference. I was running my delay in front of the amp. I put it through the effects loop on my Marshall and what a difference. It went from a fizzy tone to a crisp snappy slap back. I have a DD20 so I can get any number of delays.
Thanks Blaze for that write up. Oh and I also didn't realize I even had an effects loop on my DSL401. The reverb on it is quite good and now I can get really close to his tone on my home set up. Will never play as good but what the heck it is fun trying. Now where do I get a Theremin.

duhvoodooman
December 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
''Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus. Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe... "

-- Joe B.
Maybe I should try to contact Joe and sell him one of those new BYOC Reverb pedals with the amazing sounding Belton spring reverb module! I dare say a DVM effect on Joe's pedal board would be good for business!! :eek:

oldguy
December 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Maybe I should try to contact Joe and sell him one of those new BYOC Reverb pedals with the amazing sounding Belton spring reverb module! I dare say a DVM effect on Joe's pedal board would be good for business!! :eek:

Heck, yeah, buddy, do it!:AOK

(don't expect too much free time if it happens, tho...)

Perfect Stranger
December 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM

LPeQLaFAvlE

Here is the rest of Joe's rig

Kco8BEcClyQ

shqdtbTRM4k