PDA

View Full Version : A purposeful amph

NWBasser
December 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
First off, in the order of things, I'm a bass player first and foremost and that's where the bulk of the gear $ goes into.

With that said, I do play a fair amount of guitar and use a bit of..um, "lower tier" guitar gear relative to my bass stuff.

My current guitar setup is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I plug straight into a Roland Cube 30 that I bought used from the guitarist in my band. I only play in the house and don't use any of this for live shows, so volume output isn't much a concern.

Maybe my ears are a bit unsophisticated, but I really like the sound of this amp quite a lot. The "clean" channel really does sound like a JC. The various models include a Marshall JCM, a Fender Blackface, an AC30 (?), a Mesa Rectifier, and a couple others that I'm not entirely sure about are there, and come close enough to the real thing to be surprising at this price point. I don't use the on-board effects much at all except a bit of reverb. Everything is extremely easy to use with the simple twist of a dial here or there. I like simple. I'd rather be playing my guitar than pushing buttons and chasing tones.

For my purposes this amp has a lot going for it in relation to other modeling amps. The tone is surprisingly good and it doesn't seem to mess with the character of the guitar so much as some emulators. I think it sounds much better than the Line 6 and is far easier to figure out than a Peavey Vyper. I think the Vox AD30VT also sounds very good, but it takes a lot of fiddling to get what you want out of it. I'd rather just plug and play.

Well, for my occassional guitar work, this one's a winner.

markb
December 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Roland Cubes get the job done. My 60 was at a jam last week with a Peavey Classic 50 (2x12) and a Rokit 130 (kiwi Boogie copy). I didn't get past halfway on the blackface model for cleans and kicked with with a Cool Cat Drive for dirt.

Plank_Spanker
December 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Roland Cubes are a great bang for the buck.

Brian Krashpad
December 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I haven't tried the cubes but they have a great rep.

Fwiw, your experiences and description with it mirror mine with my Super Champ XD. Good sounds and very easy to use.

Geoffrey Charles
December 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Cubes rock!

NWBasser
December 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Cubes rock!

Yeah, for a small solid-state modelling combo, it sounds pretty darn good!

It does its intended job very well indeed.