PDA

View Full Version : Here's an old recording I found

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Some Gibson and Marshall action. I thought I lost this but I just found it today. Was experimenting with the 'new at the time' Cakewalk software and a borrowed flanger. Excuse the noise. :) This was recorded about 4 years ago when I HAD more time to goof around with recording. It's a short intro to my own version of Red House Blues....there is a piece of lead work missing before the end sorry. I need some help from you recording pros on how I should mixdown cause I know the bass sucks!

SuperSwede
September 11th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Wow, nice playing there Tone! Fantastic marshall sound!!!! :)
I think you added too much bass on the bass (!?)

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hey buddy. Thanks. You think there's too much bass on the bass? I didn't think the bass came through the mix. I might have over compressed it. I should finish the jam...maybe in the winter when I'm not as busy.

SuperSwede
September 11th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I think that it would cut through better if you decreased the amount of bass.. just my 2 rubels.
Lets do something together when the snow has started falling! I might get a little extra free time too..

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I think that it would cut through better if you decreased the amount of bass.. just my 2 rubels.
Lets do something together when the snow has started falling! I might get a little extra free time too..

I haven't forgotten about that. What if I send you this file instead and you add more to it? I have to finish the drum tracks though...and the bass...and the rest. LMAO Got a bass? Wait I got a new Jazz bass what am I saying. I bet it would smoke with the Jazz bass! I could even utilize my new SWR amp on the recording, it has balanced line out. I have the cool goods to finish so keep at me to send you something.

f1point7
September 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
very nice touch you have there on the lead. so smooth.
yeah bass is too bassy. issat a midi bass?

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Thank you f1point7 for the kind words. The bass part was done on my old Yamaha bass which was a P pickup bass. To me P basses are honky with mids and I tried to create a bigger overall sound but I am not a bass player and so my recording technique lacked severely here. I used an old school compressor pedal direct to the sound card on my PC from the bass. Not the best way to record it. I now have better means to record a bass so I'm gonna redo the whole thing all over...that was just a sample of an idea I had. I think Super Swede and I will collaborate on this project I think that would be really cool.

Spudman
September 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Tone
That sounds awesome. You should definitely keep going with that theme. I love funky heavy stuff like that.

Oh, don't forget the accordion solo.:)

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Tone
That sounds awesome. You should definitely keep going with that theme. I love funky heavy stuff like that.

Oh, don't forget the accordion solo.:)

LMAO not enough accordian! hahaha Will do sir. :)

SuperSwede
September 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I´m looking forward to it Tone!

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I´m looking forward to it Tone!

Like I said keep reminding me. I'm gonna redo the bass this week. Drums were already done I had forgotten. I'll keep ya posted. :DR

aeolian
September 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM
tone2thebone lives up to his moniker. Nice sound and great playing! Too bad it is too short.

If you redo the eq trying dropping low frequency below 150 hz or so and see how the bass sounds in the mix.

aeolian

ted s
September 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe needs more cowbell ? ;)

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
tone2thebone lives up to his moniker. Nice sound and great playing! Too bad it is too short.

If you redo the eq trying dropping low frequency below 150 hz or so and see how the bass sounds in the mix.

aeolian

Thanks! I'm keeping track of all these great suggestions all you guys make. :)

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM

haha Yeah and accordian too as Spud suggested. Hey ya never know!

aeolian
September 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I just realized that this statement is not particularly clear. What I mean is to apply a high pass filter (cut off low frequency) to your bass track. Set the knee of the filter at around 150 hz so frequencies lower than 150 hz get gradually cut off. Move the knee around from 100 hz to 250 hz and see what difference it makes so you can decide what sounds best. In my experience when I do this the bass sounds less boomy and quite a bit crisper.

aeolian

ted s
September 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM

For those that may not have seen this... http://www.ojaiwan.net/audio/cowbell.wmv

t_ross33
September 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
YEEEEEEEAH Babies! My favorite SNL skit by far!

Got to have more cowbell!

Trev
P.S. just emailed this to our drummer. Dude, we seriously need more cowbell!

duhvoodooman
September 12th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Oh, don't forget the accordion solo....
One of my all-time favorite Far Side cartoons. Pure comic genius:

http://www.concertinamusic.com/sbox/images/FarSideCartoon.gif

Spudman
September 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM
See what I mean! Purgatory includes a banjo.