PDA

View Full Version : Sultans of Swing my version. Oh brother!

M29
December 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Was messin around with Garage Band last nite and put this together. It is my version of Sultans of Swing. I did not try to copy anything from the original, just did some noodling around. I have a lot to learn in Garage Band but it is coming along. Excuse the gaffs please. This is a fun tune!

Here is my track.
http://www.box.net/shared/hgzz5nb74y

Here is the backing track.
http://www.box.net/shared/jivnfp3a3x

M

Algonquin
December 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Great job M :applause I'd have difficulty noodling my way out of a wet paper bag so I can appreciate the effort taking on a 3 minute track like this one. It sounds like you're quickly becoming familiar with Garage Band. I'm really happy to see all the posting activity going on here recently, and can only hope to see more people jump in with their stuff. This isn't Harmony Central... this is the Fret after all.

Looking forward to hearing more! (I'm greedy like that)

guitardan777
December 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Nice job there M29....
Fun stuff ; )

M29
December 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys! Fun stuff indeed!

M

Spudman
December 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
That was good. I think it takes a lot to play with a clean sound like that.

aeolian
December 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Cool riffing on the theme, and on a song that is one of my personal favorites! Keep them coming.

sunvalleylaw
December 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Nice M! When I was playing in my student group a while back, we performed this song. We traded solos, one guitarist doing the first, and one the second, and I know it is not an easy task. I never tried to do actually what Mark does, and play with a pick besides. I think your work captures Mark's feel much better than I ever did.

I can do some rhythm work on this, and when I find some time, I may take a stab at that over your backer, and maybe try a lead. But looking at the next few weeks, it could be a while.

Very cool and thanks for posting!

SuperSwede
December 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Sounds cool!

M29
December 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys!.
Hey Spud I thought it was kind of tough, there don't seem to be any room at all when the tone is real clean. You have to be spot on and that I am not, once the recording starts the sweat starts to flow. :thwap I am maxed out here I probably could not do this much if I tried it again.
Garage Band has some good tones in it I just have to find them. I picked a Bassman for the amp without any effects. I haven't listened to the original Sultans of Swing in a while but It seems like I remember it being pretty clean. I just liked jamming to it. I am going to go check out a utube on it I am sure there must be one.

Thanks again all.

M

oldguy
December 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
:AOK Nice job, M! You nailed the feel of the song quite well, IMO.:AOK

M29
January 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks Glenn! Thanks all!

M

Commodore 64
January 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Nice! Sometimes I noodle around to a Cortez the Killer chord progression, it is super fun. If I can figure out how to get this backing track onto my looper, I will give this a try too!

What key is this song in? What scale did you use to play over it?

M29
January 13th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hello Commodore 64,

I played Dm pentatonic and added a little of this and that, I wander around and don't know a whole lot of what I am doing. :thwap :D The song is in D minor.

That Cortez the Killer progression sounds like fun, I will have to give that a try.

Yes indeed give it a try, it is always fun to hear other takes. That is one of the great things about The Fret.Net, you can be comfortable doing that here.

Jipes
January 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Well done M29 :dude a good version with some nice fluids chops :AOK The backing track is really good