PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at more drive...

deeaa
December 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Improvising/just messing around riffs, a sort-of bluesy-based thang on my TM-10...I usually don't use huge amounts of drive but here the Transparent OD is almost at half gain and the amp is on clean but crunchy, also almost half gain.

Can't imagine ever using more drive than this...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpkgVVzIatM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpkgVVzIatM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Well, as I say in the annotations...it's nowhere near how my Ceriatone sounds live, but I do love them techies. For home playing, they be killers!

oldguy
December 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hey, that sounds good! Which guitar is that you're playing?

deeaa
December 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks! It's a frankenstrat I 'built' myself, except the neck was built by a luthier friend. It's a sharp V cut on bass side and more of a C on treble side and changes to a more C also going up the scale; completely custom and asymmetrical in other words, but not thin. The body is based on a nondescript swamp ash body I shaved up to 1/2 inch off the sides to make it smaller, and thinner too, and various mods like the gibson switch on upper horn etc, and of course EMG pickups to name a few.

oldguy
December 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks! It's a frankenstrat I 'built' myself, except the neck was built by a luthier friend. It's a sharp V cut on bass side and more of a C on treble side and changes to a more C also going up the scale; completely custom and asymmetrical in other words, but not thin. The body is based on a nondescript swamp ash body I shaved up to 1/2 inch off the sides to make it smaller, and thinner too, and various mods like the gibson switch on upper horn etc, and of course EMG pickups to name a few.

Is that the one you want to relocate the bridge pickup on? I don't see why......I think it sounds great the way it is!:dude

M29
December 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Nice job Deeaa:AOK You obviously put quite a bit of thought into your guitar. Sounds like some nice mods and wood work. I am curious do you have a functioning trem or maybe it is blocked? Great sound you have there.

deeaa
December 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Nice job Deeaa:AOK You obviously put quite a bit of thought into your guitar. Sounds like some nice mods and wood work. I am curious do you have a functioning trem or maybe it is blocked? Great sound you have there.

Thanks, that comment sure made me smile, as I did indeed think long and hard about most anything I dislike about strats and then went ahead and made the mods to remove those traits. I later did the Flying V treatment and on that one I rushed a bit, I hardly changed anything except the neck is completely different...but now that I've played it for a year, I wish I had done the same slight scaling down of the body on it and relocated the output jack to upper horn via a strat-style slanted jack. Well maybe I'll just re-do it some day when it starts to bug me too much :-)

But to answer your question, the trem is not blocked, but it's got a full set of strings and no arm attached...it does work, but you need a heavy hand to press it down. I don't use it, however. What tremolo I need I get by simply bending the neck hard ;-)

deeaa
December 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Is that the one you want to relocate the bridge pickup on? I don't see why......I think it sounds great the way it is!:dude

Yeah, that's the one...and yeah, it does...only it's quite a bit darker than my other axes, which is especially notable with the Ceriatone rig I use with the band. But, indeed, maybe it's better suited with the techie then.

But, yeah, I've been leaning towards not modding it any further...I have a couple of axes I can use with the band anyway, so maybe I'll just play this at home, or indeed come up with new amp settings to counteract the bigger bottom end :-)