PDA

View Full Version : Live from the Gladstone, Hammer Daddies do Black Magic Woman

helliott
December 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Here's another live track. It comes with a funny story.

Finish a song with the Tele, check over the shoulder to see set list, just about same time as organist Dave starts the BMW intro. Give him a dirty look, whip Tele off, reach to hang it in rack, not noticing chord is under lip of wah pedal. Wah pedal dies a 360 or so on popping out of the pedal board. Drop Tele in rack, kick wah back into place, grab Strat, stomp A/B to switch guitars. By this point, I'm doing about a thousand miles an hour, which is how I started the song after the overlong intro, and how I clammed about four times in the first solo alone. Eventually settled down, and the song went off pretty well. I especially liked the rest of the band on this song, our drummer was smokin and the thing holds together pretty well, I think.
Here's Black Magic Woman:

http://www.box.net/shared/jrmm5bo4jn

deeaa
December 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Nice sounds! Brings back memories from the 80's. Used to do this song - I only sang and played the cowbell, but anyhow. Good job! I like your vibrato style, none of that too cautious stuff but proper vibrato; that's what I like.

helliott
December 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Deeaa. Almost forgot to mention, this was my first outing with my new DVM Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mark II. It earned its money that night, and has replaced my TS9 (drive) and Texas Blues Driver (boost.)

Algonquin
December 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I like the mix almost as much as the story leading into this tune :AOK

I've loved this song since way way back when it first hit the airwaves back in the 70's. You've been able to capture some really good audio from your shows Helliot, and I think you're right... the whole band was on for this one!

Great job!

sunvalleylaw
December 16th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Nice Helliot! Great playing! I love your attack and vibrato and tone. And that organ continues to be awesome!

Spudman
December 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Nice job. I do love that organ. I was really happy to hear the full version. So many bands cop out and just do the main part and that's not what the song is all about. :applause

helliott
December 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for listening, guys. Your input is appreciated. Yeah, I'm glad we bit off the whole tune instead of the radio-friendly short version. It adds to the degree of difficulty but it's great when you nail it.