PDA

View Full Version : Hey you, need your feedback about my videos

Robert
December 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I started thinking today (after getting some initial feedback from one prolific forum member...) - what's your thoughts on my video demos?

Are they too long? Too short? Not enough showing me and my butter fingers when playing? Too much talking in the beginning? Not versatile enough playing? Too much bullsh1t noodling? Not enough metal or (insert style of music here)? Not enough rhythm playing? Not enough detailed verbal description of the gear I'm playing in the video? Not enough of showing the box/wrapping material/battery compartment, etc "GearWire style"? :poke

Anything you love - hate or in between - spill your guts - I can take it, I promise! :what

If there is something I should be doing with my video demos of various guitar gear that I'm not doing enough of, I'd like to know. :french

Commodore 64
December 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have a very tough time following your lessons, by watching fingers on strings, even if you say which string and which fret. I really need tab, in order to see the pattern of the notes on the fretboard. It's very difficult for me to see which fingers are hitting which strings, and my brain doesn't work fast enough to process "5th fret on the A string", for example. By the time I figure it out, you are already moved on...and pausing/restarting a video is tough with a guitar in my lap.

All of this would be moot, if I knew the notes of the fretboard...but I just am not there yet. For an absolute beginner, like me, they are tough. I think that they will be AWESOME when I am a bit better and more facile with notes and strings. I love the 3 note blues solo video..it's so cool what you do with just 3 notes. But on that one especially, I need to see the tab.

Robert
December 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks, that is great to hear. Most of my lessons do have tab these days, but the older ones don't. The 3 note solo lesson was a bit different. It's not the notes that matter there, it's all about phrasing and playing little motifs. Anyway, if anyone has more feedback about that lesson, post it in http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=153951

This time, I was more thinking about the video demos of gear than my video lessons (but I appreciate the lesson feedback too!).

Blaze
December 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Lets say you re doin a 10 minutes clip on an amph or a pedal, i d like to get 5 min. on Humbuckers & 5 min. on single coils..

A little serie on mods could be cool ..

SuperSwede
December 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM
oh no dont go gearwire on us!! Theres enough battery compartment examination videos as it is :D

I think your videos is great and I would want them any other way.

Spudman
December 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I really like your videos too. I think it might be interesting to open with a bit of playing whatever it is that you are doing the video on. Just to give a taste and then go into the details followed by more playing...and battery compartment examination. Do you need rubber gloves for that?:confused: :rolleyes:

sumitomo
December 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think it would be cool if you got some helper's like Sven and Olie,that might make them more interesting.Just teasing,they are great the way you have them laid out.So keep up the good work,the sound and playing is great!Sumi:D

SuperSwede
December 18th, 2009, 02:39 AM
...and battery compartment examination. Do you need rubber gloves for that?:confused: :rolleyes:

Yes... and lubricant.. :pancake

Spudman
December 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Yes... and lubricant.. :pancake

Can you do that on youtube? :eek:

djmcconnell
December 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Personally, I like what you're doing very much.

You've had some good content feedback, so my suggestion would be to have a lapel mic for your voice on a separate channel from the amp and then mute the vocal channel when you're playing ("fix it in post").

That would let you balance voice and instrument better and not hear so much of the string and pick sounds as you're playing.

Does that make sense?

Dave

Robert
December 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Personally, I like what you're doing very much.

You've had some good content feedback, so my suggestion would be to have a lapel mic for your voice on a separate channel from the amp and then mute the vocal channel when you're playing ("fix it in post").

That would let you balance voice and instrument better and not hear so much of the string and pick sounds as you're playing.

Does that make sense?

Dave

Dave, that sounds too complicated for me... how about I just crank it to 11 when I'm playing the gear?! Then you won't hear the strings acoustically!

piebaldpython
December 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Robert, it seems like you're asking about GEAR videos, right? OK, here goes.

Take your Rabid Rodent demo that you recently did. Twelve minutes of staring at the pedal, listening to you playing and occasionally twisting the dials. My complaint is that you didn't explain anything you did on the dials or which dials you were twisting. So, after the video, I had to go to DVM's Home Page and look at his pic of the RR for a close-up shot of the pedal, to see what dial you were messing with.

Especially with DVM pedals, some have multi-knobs, switches, whatever....and it would be nice to know what you were doing.

As to what you play.....if it's a basic pedal (i.e...not just a pedal dedicated to ONE style of playing).....then play some shred, some slower bluesy stuff, etc. Just to show how the pedal works over different styles.

Then, say for a compressor, maybe get into some chicken-pickin' as people who play that would maybe be more in line for a compressor than others.

As to your "how to play" videos.......I think they're great. You go nice and slow,nice close-ups, good narrative. I learn TONS from your instructional vids.

hubberjub
December 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Get rid of that accent or people will start thinking you're from another country. Just kidding. I think your videos are great. Especially the three note solo lesson. You've got a pretty good following on Youtube and your videos are far more useful than the majority of other instructors on there.

player
December 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have a very tough time following your lessons, by watching fingers on strings, even if you say which string and which fret. I really need tab, in order to see the pattern of the notes on the fretboard. It's very difficult for me to see which fingers are hitting which strings, and my brain doesn't work fast enough to process "5th fret on the A string", for example. By the time I figure it out, you are already moved on...and pausing/restarting a video is tough with a guitar in my lap.

All of this would be moot, if I knew the notes of the fretboard...but I just am not there yet. For an absolute beginner, like me, they are tough. I think that they will be AWESOME when I am a bit better and more facile with notes and strings. I love the 3 note blues solo video..it's so cool what you do with just 3 notes. But on that one especially, I need to see the tab.just a thought.Roberts dvd set is great it let's you be in control.example:should you not see or understand something it's not a big deal to go back to it on dvd or even slow it up for that matter if you need to.