PDA

View Full Version : Strings?

yeti66
December 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Any opinons on which are the best replacement strings? best sounding, longest lasting?:greenguitar:

Plank_Spanker
December 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
You will find as many opinions as there are posts.

My personal choice - D'Addario 10-46's. Been playing them for many years.

Keep in mind that string life hinges on a few factors - style of playing, how much playing time the strings see, maintenance (are they wiped down when finished?), and body chemistry (do you sweat alien blood like I do?)

Perfect Stranger
December 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
My choice is www.webstrings.com $2.49 a set
Last as long as any of them, and sound as good
as any of them. And at that price I can afford to
change them twice as often. Nothing sounds
better than a snappy new set of strings!:AOK

just strum
December 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ditto on both of Planks comments.

My opinion, the only ones that are best are the ones you like. You can start with D'Addario 10-46's, but the journey of finding the best is up to you. You will also find people that have preference of size and brand based on the guitar.

Good luck in your search and you should get a lot of suggestions, but in the end you will have to make up your own mind.

FrankenFretter
December 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
For half my guitars, I use Ernie Ball Super-Slinky (9-42), and the other half get Fender Super Bullets (10-46). I like the brightness of the Bullets for my Fender-ish instruments.

Spudman
December 16th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I too use 9-42 on some guitars and 10-46 on others. I buy strings in bulk from Musicians Friend for the last 20 years. I believe they are Martin but I don't know for sure. They are their Rogue brand bulk strings. They have been very consistent and I've only broken fewer than 5 in that time. I think I'm paying around $2.70 a set now.

ZMAN
December 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I found a set of 9.5 D'Addarios a couple of years ago. they are .5 across the board under the regular 10 set. I like them because they give the brightness of a 9 yet the sustain of a 10. Although I do have D'Addario 10s on my 96 LP. It is a heavy guitar and it just needs the 10s. I have a set of Gibson Britewires on my 1968 SG. On that one I have gone as far down a 8s and I now have the 10s on it. They sound good on the p90 guitar.
Overal in 40 plus years I have gone from Labellas to D'Addarios. I hate fender bullets. They corrode in days.

hubberjub
December 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I use DR strings. I don't think that there is a heck of a lot of difference between brands. I buy through my friend (a manager at a GC) and get them for a little over $3 per set. I use .10s on my 25.5" scale guitars and .11s on my Gibson scale guitars.