PDA

View Full Version : Mic one amp to another

Justaguyin_nc
September 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Seeing I have a Solid State Modeling amp and a little tube amp I was wondering what would happen if I mic'ed the one to the other... WoooHooo... I found it works out pretty well for certain type sounds... I Set a Cyber-Champ up with Chorus and Mic'ed it over to a 5 watt tube amp only a foot or two away.. which seems best into the Microphone input offered on this amp... What I achieved I guess is a Reverb/delay which at low levels has a very warm feeling to it... I was more or less doing this for Pink Floyd type songs Breathe/Time etc.. and they really bounce out to me now...

Question: Is this used much? Micing one amp to another? On inputs of olde amps..Hi - Low and the Microphone Input... what makes the difference between them?

If you have an extra amp.. give this a try if you haven't.. pretty cool sound added to what ya already have in front of you...

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'll bet you George Martin did this with the Beatles. In fact I think I read somewhere that he actually DID do this with Paul's bass on Taxman.

t_ross33
September 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM
On inputs of olde amps..Hi - Low and the Microphone Input... what makes the difference between them?

I use the Hi input on my Yamaha 2x12. I never used to notice a difference which input I used with my acoustic or my bass, but with my electric, the Hi input is definately brighter/punchier than the Lo.

My olde Peavey PA has 2 inputs per channel as well. The intent is to match up the microphone or pickup you are using to the appropriate input which in turn compensates or optimizes the particular charactaristics of said mic/pup and gives you a more even input per channel for mixing purposes.

In the case of my EXP, the pups are supposedly high output so into the Hi I go. If (when) I get my hollowbody :D artcore/335 clone etc. the pups will likely have a mellower jazzier tone and I'm guessing will sound better in the Lo input.

I'm not very good with the technical - I understand the theory, just don't have the skills to articulate it very well - hope this helps :)

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I'm not very good with the technical - I understand the theory, just don't have the skills to articulate it very well - hope this helps :)

Well..that was kinda technical..:) I looked at the layout of the amp and the first resistor on all three inputs had the same rating... so I was lost as to why they would be different.. then I get lost following the little lines with my little brain...