PDA

View Full Version : White Christmas?? Snow Storm!

street music
December 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
It started snowing about 40 minutes ago and we already have over an 1" and they are giving 8to 12" of snow by tomorrow. It will cause large power outages for our power company and I'll be out working if it gets bad.
I just looked out and saw a young buck in the yard trying to dig into the grass!
I hope we don't have a lot of damage.
Everyone take care!

just strum
December 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
It started snowing about 40 minutes ago and we already have over an 1" and they are giving 8to 12" of snow by tomorrow. It will cause large power outages for our power company and I'll be out working if it gets bad.
I just looked out and saw a young buck in the yard trying to dig into the grass!
I hope we don't have a lot of damage.
Everyone take care!

I saw the weather report and talked to one of our suplliers in West Virginia that was expecting 2'. We are dodging another storm and only expecting 2". Fixed my plow a couple of weeks ago and need to take it for a test drive - after that, I'm ready for spring.

It was up to 38 degrees today, almost went swimming!!! After it being 18 a couple fo nights ago, it felt like a heat wave. Went outside a few times without a coat.

piebaldpython
December 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Well Street........we're gonna get hit with your storm tomorrow. Depending on the track it takes, we're either gonna get 3-5" or 5-10". NO inches would be fine by me. They cancelled our O/T because of the damn storm. Drats.

street music
December 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Well it is changing from snow to rain to sleet and back back to snow-NOT GOOD
I hope it just warms up enough to melt it off before it hangs on as ice. Strum you are lucky this time, put I think Philly will get hit hard.

warren0728
December 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
i'm wearing shorts and have my a/c crankin'....

just strum
December 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Well...well...well...well -YOU SUCK!!!! :poke :pancake

piebaldpython
December 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Oh crap.........I would gladly take the 5-10" they forecasted yesterday morning....now that we're directly under the gun for 12-18". :thwap Oh, my achin' back........in advance. :help

SuperSwede
December 19th, 2009, 04:11 AM

-17c (1,4 F) here right now! Send some warm thoughts Warren :help

:D

street music
December 19th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Warren:bootyshake
Pie, I hear you man! It's bad here and I'm getting ready to go pickup a co-worker and head out to start checking what our total damages are.
Super Swede, brother I hear you too.

Pie will have much more to deal with than us but we have enough. Ice and snow hanging everywhere.

See you all later.

oldguy
December 19th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I really feel for you guys, Street. This time last year we had an ice storm that destroyed our trees and powerlines. We were left w/o power, phone, everything else for a week. Not ever cell phones worked because the towers were inoperational.

Kodiak3D
December 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
It's bad here and I'm getting ready to go pickup a co-worker and head out to start checking what our total damages are.

Be careful out there, Dad.

piebaldpython
December 20th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The I-95 corridor got SLAMMED!! Oh man, 23.2" officially at Philly International Airport. SE Pennsylvania and NJ took a major beating. Time to shovel and then a relaxing day watching the IGGLES at 4:15. The game was pushed back 3 hours beause of all the snow. Needless to say, I'm envious/fellin' spiteful of our Florida friends, sittin' in their AC. lol

deeaa
December 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Been reading about how many places in central Europe and East Coast USA have been hit hard by snow&low temperatures. Lotsa people died of exposure in Europe, probably hundreds and airfields shut down, cars in lines by the thousands and stranded and having to spend the night on the road etc. etc, even in sunny Spain etc...

It must be very difficult for central Europe especially, as they have no preparation for or experience of cold weather. For us here up north it's different, I remember as a child we'd be playing outside and living quite normally all the way down to minus 30 and also remember stuff like snow up to the edges of the roof at the cottage so we had to dig a tunnel to get in and out...hell I remember skiing in Lapland at nearly -30, musta been like -100 with the wind chill factor...but then we did have to spend some time inside after each slope.

But in recent maybe up to 15-20 years it's been much less snow and much warmer. Today it was about -18 and quite clear weather so we hopped into the car and drove to the cottage (40 miles), went to lake with the boy in marvellous sunshine and made some holes in the ice and played in the cottage yard. There was hardly any snow to speak of, not even a snow plow has been needed to clear the roads, a few inches at best. They reduced the driving speeds to a hundred even on the motorway though.

But I can well understand it's death for some Spanish homeless person even in much warmer temps...they're not used to it and can't or don't know how to shield themselves.

The climate change will have us see some weird changes still, I reckon.

piebaldpython
December 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Finally done SHOVELLING. Damn, I am TOO old for this s**t. :help Anyway, I worked up a good sweat and got good an TIRED. Speaking of which......I thought of the ICEMAN.....Albert Collins......and a tune he did called....I'M TIRED.........that tune certainly fit and I had it playing non-stop in my head for the last hour of shovelling. Man, could he tear up a Telecaster.

deeaa
December 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
hehe, last winter I got fed up with the plowing meself and got my first snow blower. A small one, though, so it's almost as much work as plowing manually.

Been thinking, if them winters ever get really snowy up here again, I might consider buying an ATV with a proper snow plow. That'd be fun and handy sometimes elsewhere too, towing a boat ashore etc.

Spudman
December 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Just to let you know - where I am in Idaho it was almost 50 degrees F today. Unseasonably warm if you ask me.

piebaldpython
December 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Just to let you know - where I am in Idaho it was almost 50 degrees F today. Unseasonably warm if you ask me.

Hey Spud.....send that 50 over here so this crap can MELT. Surprisingly, my back is NOT sore, not even the day after. Not bad for a geezer of 53. :french

street music
December 23rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Well I'm finally home. I have pulled no less than 16 hours a day since Saturday.
We had a lot of damage and it required other works coming in from other co-ops around KY and tonight we managed to get our last few outages restored. It has been very hard for this old man to pull this off and I was lucky enough to have four men much younger than me that came to assist.
This has been hard on a lot of families and the area served by AEP will not power till the 28th.

Glad to be home , and Merry Christmas to all!

just strum
December 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Well I'm finally home. I have pulled no less than 16 hours a day since Saturday.
We had a lot of damage and it required other works coming in from other co-ops around KY and tonight we managed to get our last few outages restored. It has been very hard for this old man to pull this off and I was lucky enough to have four men much younger than me that came to assist.
This has been hard on a lot of families and the area served by AEP will not power till the 28th.

My father worked for the utility company and I remember vividly the snowstorms and his long hours. I remember him going to other States when things were bad.

Knowing all of this, I also know how hard it is - glad you are home and glad you are safe.

Have a great Christmas.

mrmudcat
December 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
As a retired georgia power lineman,thanks to all who go out during these storms..........peace:french

oldguy
December 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Street..............and as Muddy says-----
a huge Thank You to all utility line workers who go through this w/ every winter storm anywhere. You guys are unsung heroes who don't get nearly enough credit, and I salute you all.

Kazz
December 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM
hehe, last winter I got fed up with the plowing meself and got my first snow blower. A small one, though, so it's almost as much work as plowing manually.

Been thinking, if them winters ever get really snowy up here again, I might consider buying an ATV with a proper snow plow. That'd be fun and handy sometimes elsewhere too, towing a boat ashore etc.

Oh Deaaa.....if those are the only 2 things you can think of to use a 4 wheeler (Quad) then we need to talk :-) I definitely plan on buying one this march when the bonus check comes in.

piebaldpython
December 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
+1 for all those utility workers who sometimes have to work in the worst, God-awful conditions.

We still have a lot of snow here but for the most part, the roads are passable. The missus and I are going to AC for a couple of days, starting this coming Sunday, so that is an unexpected treat. No gambling, just walking the boards (in the sun) and decompressing from the craziness of the season.

guitardan777
December 24th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I love a white Christmas....
Here's a few pix around my house last year:
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays ; )
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/dpmed/SnowDayz.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/dpmed/SnowyMorning.jpg