PDA

View Full Version : How to: Quote specific lines in Post?

ZMAN
December 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I would like to know how to quote a specific line in a posting. When I hit the Quote button I get the whole posting.
I tried highlighting the line I want to quote then hit the quote button and I get the whole thing.
I know it isn't a system problem. I just don't know how to do it.
Thanks in advance.
Brian

Blaze
December 19th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I would like to know how to quote a specific line in a posting.

Just like i did here by erasing the stuff around except the line you want to keep in the Quote section

Spudman
December 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Sorry the question, I would to how quote specific in posting. When hit Quote I the posting.
I highlighting line want quote hit quote and get whole .
I it a problem. I don't how do.
Thanks advance.
Brian

You will now learn the internets young padawan.

Like Blaze says - just highlight and erase to leave the quote you want behind.

just strum
December 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I would like to know how to quote a specific line in a posting.

Or did

When I hit the Quote button I get the whole posting.
I tried highlighting the line I want to quote then hit the quote button and I get the whole thing.

you mean like this

I know it isn't a system problem. I just don't know how to do it.
Thanks in advance.

in order to break it up in sections?

Okay, assuming this is what you are looking to do.

Remove the bottom quote notation or cut it and put it at the end of the first statement you want to address (note, the first statement should start with the existing beginning quotation, but not absolutely necessary). Then right your response. Take the next statement you want and highlight it and then hit the quotation button, followed by your response or comment.

I know it is not the best instructions, but read it through and work with it.

I sometimes open a second window of the same post and cut the sections I want to address and paste them into the first window and then use the highlight and click quote button.

ZMAN
December 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys. In the past I have just deleted the portion of the post that I didn't need. I though there must be a more efficient way of doing this. Back in the 60s, I graduated in Computer Science/Accounting, and went into the accounting field. Wouldn't it be nice if we could highlight the area to quote then hit the quote button only getting what we wanted to quote, or even put quotation marks around the portion we wanted to quote.
OR use your lightsabre to cute away the supurflous verbage. OBI WAN

Spudman
December 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
In the past I have just deleted the portion of the post that I didn't need.

What I just did was to hit the "reply" button, then I scrolled down to your previous post - highlighted the text I wanted to quote - hit "copy" - then went up into my post composition window and hit the little "quote" icon - then pasted the cut text between the quotes.

OR use your lightsabre to cut away the supurflous verbage.
That's kind of weird thing to do because it will mess up your computer. Don't ask how I know.

ZMAN
December 19th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Since my lightsabre's dilythium crystals are low I will probably just delete the unwanted verbage. Thanks for the replies guys.
Now back to my Holsten Festbock!