PDA

View Full Version : Who has seen Avatar?

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I took my oldest son tonight. We both enjoyed it very much! Pretty recognizable story line, (Dances with Wolves, etc.), but well done, great effects, and very exciting! Some twists, and interesting points of view too. I recommend it if you like sci-fi/action at all. Anyone else see it?

oldguy
December 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I have not seen it, but the preview clips I've see certainly look cool.
How was the 3D experience? I haven't seen many that impressed me much, hopefully this one's better.

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I plan to see it during the holidays.

Count me amongst those who thought the preview seemed boring. Given what I've heard about the effects, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Bloozcat
December 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Fantastic movie, saw it last night.

The native Pandoran Na'vi seem like a composite of the cultures of the American Indians, the Amazonian rain forest natives, and a little African tribal thrown in. Yeah, the story line was somewhat predictable as it borrowed from many previous movie plot lines. I could have done without the heavy handed "evil corporate devils" and the attempts to draw parallels between Pandora and earth as though the two were on the same ecological plane. But, despite that, the story was captivating and enjoyable.

I had kind of wondered how they were going to pull off a love story given the stark differences between humans and Na'vi, but it was very easy to buy into.

The 3-D effects were subtle compared to the in your face 3-D effects of most other movies. Instead of using it for shock value, the creators of the movie made it much more interactive like you were in the world of Pandora. Having seen the movie in 3-D, I wouldn't recommend seeing the version without it. It would have to seem flat and lifeless compared to the 3-D version.

I always rate movies based upon how much I think about them after seeing them. I haven't stopped thinking about this on since seeing it last night. It has a kind of profound effect that stays with you.

Two thumbs up from this critic.

Perfect Stranger
December 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I plan on taking the wife to see it in 3D, but we did watch it last night at home on the big screen TV. It is fookin'
amazing! The 160 minutes seem to fly by. And if you had any doubts as to whether they can make the animation
look real.....worry no more. The alien world is breathtaking .....the special FX are amazing.....and the animated
characters are so lifelike you'll forget they aren't real 5 minutes after first seeing them. The final battle scene is 40
minutes long and keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time.......and it is mind-blowing!

sunvalleylaw
December 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I agree with what Blooz and PS said overall. I thought the theme of considering the consequences (especially to indigenous peoples) of simply endlessly expanding to consume resources was done well, and was thought provoking. I thought the film seemed to have great visual depth, but was not "over the top" 3D in such a way that I really noticed it. The flying scenes particularly benefited in my mind.

Without giving it away, I also thought the handled the motivations and reasons for the love affair, and desire to pursue it, in a very believable way.

I also noted how the almost 3 hours passed very quickly. I did not find the film to drag very much that I can recall. And yes, it has been on my mind and causing me to think too. I give it two thumbs up as well! :AOK :AOK

Robert
December 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
2 big thumbs up. The best movie I have seen in 2009, no doubt.

The movie has received criticism, not surprisingly. It's been called anti-American, anti-war, pro-environmental, etc and there is no denying it is a thought provoking movie. You have to go see it. Make your own conclusions.

It tells the story in such a strong way, and the visuals are mind-blowing but not over the top. I really think our world needs more movies and stories like this one. Unfortunately, talent like James Cameron does not exactly grow on trees... ;)

9.5 out of 10 from yours truly.

M29
December 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Awesome 3D entertainment, storyline yada yada yada.....IMHO of course :munch:

peachhead
January 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I know this is kind of an old thread- but we just saw this yesterday (took the kids) and man, I was amazed. I agree with what everyone else said about the storyline and the 3D, but I was blown away by the beauty of the scenery. Great movie, we all enjoyed it.

M29
January 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
It is amazing what they can do now with CGI. What do you guys think about the day they can put something in front of us and we won't be able to tell if it is real or not. Sounds kinda scary...

peachhead
January 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I had to wonder, the way effects are now, how different would Star Wars (for example) be now as opposed to the way it was in 1977?

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I had to wonder, the way effects are now, how different would Star Wars (for example) be now as opposed to the way it was in 1977?

True, but the cool thing is that the story was so good (I know, borrowed from japanese film), you can still watch it today and enjoy it.

peachhead
January 25th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Very true, and one reason why it remains one of my favorites. I wouldn't change it (but it's interesting to think about).

guitarhack
January 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I saw it in 3D a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. My girlfriend also enjoyed it, which surprised me, given the sci-fi nature of the movie. Definitely enjoyed it as a whole.

Commodore 64
January 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM
How could anyone not enjoy 3 hours of blue boobs?

Bloozcat
January 26th, 2010, 07:01 AM
It is amazing what they can do now with CGI. What do you guys think about the day they can put something in front of us and we won't be able to tell if it is real or not. Sounds kinda scary...

The Holodeck....yeah, man!

peachhead
January 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
How could anyone not enjoy 3 hours of blue boobs?

Better than 3 hours of blue...umm...never mind.

:D

Childbride
January 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Better than 3 hours of blue...umm...never mind.

:D

the Watchmen? ;)

Childbride
January 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
we just got back from watching it.

i am at a complete loss for words, b/c they are teeming so fast they are all locked up in a knot.

wow. i have to see that again.

Robert
January 30th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I want to see it again too, in 3D this time.

Childbride
January 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Robert, it's really something you won't regret.

i am actually going to work to clear one of the next two weekends so i can take my gram and stepmom to see it down south.

gram, who has seen so much change in her 91 years... has got to see what i saw today.

i called them both and told them it was a done deal.

Childbride
January 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
i am a movie junkie and an avid reader. i can, when my muse and i talk as they do in avatar, touch people, also.

the truest compliment i can give a director, writer, or artist i give now.

cs lewis. tolkien. they created places i wanted to live. i can live in beethoven's ode to joy.

i can live in pandora, and want to go back.

i was texting BG today, telling her that we went to see the movie. she asked if we could go live there.

i said

'if the Na'vi can take your dad's sense of humor, we're gone tomorrow'

and she texted back

'YAAAAYYYY!!!'

:)

Tig
January 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Just got back from seeing it. Wow, it was beautifully made, and the story was solid. The colonel's part was a bit over played, but otherwise, the movie was nearly perfect.

The humans and their connection to their technology and machines was paralleled with the Na'vi and their connection to the natural world around them. We see the same thing around us, with people who are attached to their Blackberrys/smart phones/iPhones/GPS nav systems/laptops/HD TV's/PS3's, etc...

Our modern society thinks tech cures everything. The problem is, it also ruins many things along the way, and separates us from the source of everything, the natural world. In the movie, Jake took the higher path.

The short sighted human desire to put profit before everything else might tick some people off, but that's because the mirror doesn't always show a pretty picture.

EDIT: I looked back and see that this post could come across as political. I appologize if it does, but perhaps knowing that many of my views are not related to left or right, but instead, up or down (as in which direction us humans are going).

Childbride
February 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
took gram and my stepmother to see it yesterday in 3d.

interesting, this.

at this stage in her life, when gram makes an association, the likelihood of altering it is slim.

she immediately referenced hitler in the parking lot on the way to the car.

they both loved it.