PDA

View Full Version : Unsure...

S*Fitton
December 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hi i've decided to purchase a fender squier to start learning guitar one

i've had a little play about with it and i find it hard to press the strings down properly

is this just because im a begginer or is it to do with the action because im wondering if there is a better guitar in the same price range as the fender squier?

i was going to learn once before and bought a guitar and it was the fact that the strings were so hard to press down that put me off learning and i dont want that to happen again i want them to be easier to press

hope i dont sound like im ranting

peace people

thanks alot

ted s
December 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
As you are just starting out, expect it to be difficult, it's going to take practice, treat it like exercise. You're trying to use muscles in your hand you haven't used like this before.
Check the Fender web site, you can get some generic measurements for action etc your guitar, compare those to what you have to see if its close.

Have fun.

bcdon
December 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
i've had a little play about with it and i find it hard to press the strings down properly

You can put lighter strings on it but the best way to go is to just
practice. Don't practice too much at first and stop for the day when
it hurts too much.

Rest assured that you'll learn how to fret the strings properly.
Just keep practicing and having fun. You'll be rockin in no time. :dude

Commodore 64
December 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
It's not so much that you have to press hard for strings, although you should make sure you try to fret right behind the fret, not on it. You'll find that once you start practicing, it takes a lighter and lighter touch...it's more about muscle memory and mechanics...both of which take care of themselves while you practice.

When I first started out, I did too much reading on the internet, I think. Things about some guitars "playing themselves" because the action was so low and the neck was so fast. Stuff like that. To fresh noobs (like us)...that's a bunch of BS, but it still makes you constantly second guess your instrument, your amp, your posture, anything and everything.

A squire is probably just perfect for learning on. Some things you can check:

1. Do you have any dead frets? (frets that don't seem to work).
2. Do you have buzzing on the strings at any fret (a little buzzing is not necessarily bad on an electric, but a lot of buzzing can be a bad sign.
3. When you tune your strings...do you often hear a "tink tink" sound? That's the string binding in the nut.
4. Hold your finger at the first fret of the E string. Hold another at the 12th fret. Look at the 7-9 frets...Is there a little space between the string and frets? There should be...about a credit card thickness.
5. Does the guitar stay in tune relatively well?

Zip
December 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
....and here's another thought - buy the guitar at a music shop, not at your local HugeMart. Ask the guy at the counter to set the guitar up properly before you leave the store. He likely will, to ensure a sale & your continued business. Both the action and intonation should be spot on, perfect for you to learn & have fun with.