PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about car rental insurance.

ZMAN
December 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
I am planning a 3 week trip to the US in February. I have booked a vehicle with my Amex gold card and I know that covers me for damage to the rental vehicle.
What about liability coverage? I am not sure what is required in the US.
I have a call into my insurance agent but I would like to get the inside info if anyone has it.

luvmyshiner
December 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
I've never purchased the optional insurance on a rental vehicle. Check with your insurance agent, but your insurance should cover you no matter what car you're driving. Just make sure you bring proof of coverage.

piebaldpython
December 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
+1 to what Shiner said. Only recently (the last few years) have I declined the optional coverage with a rental car. The optional coverage is where they FLEECE you out of $$$$$'s. It's ridiculous.

just strum
December 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
I PM'd Z on another subject (what to get all of you folks for Christmas) and pointed out that if he is leaving the country with the car might present problems with using his insurance alone without some sort of coverage from the rental place. Some might even require it if you are leaving the country.

piebaldpython
December 21st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Oh.....I see Strum.......but that would be if he RENTS the car in Canada and then comes to the USA, right?

I was under the impression that he was flying here.....then renting a car after the flight.

But then again.......Strum makes a good point.....in that do Canadians have roughly the same kind of car insurance that we do??? If not, then maybe he would have to get a policy with the rental agency????

Inquiring minds wanna know!

just strum
December 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Oh.....I see Strum.......but that would be if he RENTS the car in Canada and then comes to the USA, right?

I was under the impression that he was flying here.....then renting a car after the flight.

But then again.......Strum makes a good point.....in that do Canadians have roughly the same kind of car insurance that we do??? If not, then maybe he would have to get a policy with the rental agency????

Inquiring minds wanna know!

It may not be a problem, I just think he needs to make it clear to whoever he was talking to. I guess I was assuming he was driving the whole distance.

marnold
December 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Liability requirements vary from state to state. I just got notification that my rates are going up because the glorious People's Republic of Wisconsin decided I needed to have more liability insurance. Mind you, it's STILL not illegal to operate a vehicle without insurance, so I get to pay more for that too.