PDA

View Full Version : Tone lesson

Zip
December 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Great lesson on tone from someone who knows a thing or two about superb tone:

http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/santana-teaches-black-magic-woman.html

Radioboy950
December 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Always interesting to hear how others perceive and describe "tone".
As unique as the individual.

Tig
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Carlos is one of those truly spiritual musicians. His associations with tones are organic based references that actually make sense.
He can get a bit out there sometimes, but he really knows the importance of using the guitar to channel your emotions and soul.

From a recent interview:

When people have asked me to define “multi-dimensional”, I say that it’s not being stuck or stuck up. When you start thinking that you’re superior or inferior—that’s being stuck. Your fear has betrayed you. Being free is seeing the beauty of you in everybody else. You say, “I can see myself in this guy or that guy. I want to phrase like Otis Redding and Nat King Cole and Wes Montgomery.” You see the connections between what you do, and what all the musicians before you have done, and between what every musician is doing right now.

Question from interviewer: Elaborate on “your fear has betrayed you” from above. Fear has only one agenda—to negate your beauty and your truth. Ego has only one agenda—to create death. That’s the only function of the ego. We should compliment it, because at least it’s predictable. E-g-o stands for “Etch God Out.” But even an atheist can understand the need for wonderment. You don’t need to believe in God. God believes in you. God could not care less than if you call him Buddha, Allah, Jesus, or Krishna. The best part of you—that’s what God is, and it is in all of us. It’s called the spark of the divine.

When we are in the state of grace, all is one, and one is all. The mind is not equipped to understand that, because the mind likes to compartmentalize. The heart just takes it all in. Everyone has a heart, of course, so it typically comes down to how much you are willing to let it come out. How fast can you get to your heart and not let anything get in the way—children, the rent, the set list, taxes, nothing?

Musicians hear 1000 voices saying they’re not good enough—that they’re just lucky, that they always play out of tune or their tone sucks, that they never get it right. John Lennon once said he hated everything he did, because he could have done it better. That’s the ego. All those voices are the ego in disguise giving you guilt, shame, judgment, condemnation, and fear that you’re never going to be good enough. Then, you have one voice that is very quiet, but it’s louder and clearer than the other voices. This voice says, “Pick up the guitar. Here it comes.” And out comes a song that’s like Jeff Beck playing “People Get Ready”… Bam! Your freaking hair stands up, you’ve got tears coming out of your eyes, and you don’t even know why. These are the things that drive me to go into my heart, and going there is the only thing that is worth attaining for me. When I’m there, the heart will lead me to play a melody that makes families put all their sh*t aside, and just see how beautiful their families are. That’s what is really beautiful about music—it brings you into harmony.

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
Nice! I had seen that lesson before, but it was nice to re-visit. I like the quoted text Tig put up too.

Interesting, when the Santana vid ends, and related ones pop up, our own Robert Renman's Back in Black lesson cycles through! :AOK