PDA

View Full Version : Someone please talk me out of offering this gut $100 for a pre-Lawsuit LP

Commodore 64
December 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1520415461.html

Grover tuners, Dimarzio PUPs...is it worth it jsut for the parts?

Eric
December 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'll make an attempt...

Do you need another guitar? From following your posts, I think you have 2 acoustics, 3 electrics, 5 amps, and 3 pedals. You'll find plenty of guitars that interest you and that are great deals, and some of them would make good purchases. However, you already seem to have a pretty sweet LP-style guitar in your Michael Kelly.

It's your call, but I find myself aggravated when I have anything more than maybe 2 electrics and one acoustic, because I don't want to collect guitars; I just want to play them. It's ultimately the player, not the gear, and I've found that I'm better served if I quit sweating and buying gear and just get something that works, then play my butt off to work out new ideas and techniques.

Did any of that work, or are you already writing the email with an offer?

Commodore 64
December 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I'm still struggling to find an identity with guitars. Some days I like the MK, some days I like my Epi Strat...my other electric, the AXL...I think I like the sound of the SH-4 int here the best out of every PUP I own, but that guitar is loaned to my friend. I don't feel any connection with my guitars yet.

I've discovered that I really like my Fender Stage 1000 SS amp, believe it or not. My Blackheart and Cab have been silent for a week or so (unless my friend stops over to jam). So after investing about 125 a tube amp head, 125 for the cab, and 70 for a replacement speaker...I'm back to the SS amp. Go figure. I do have another pedal on the way, a Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb, because I do miss reverb on the Blackheart.

I called the guy on that Bently...no answer. So I texted him and sent an email, too. I mean even if the body/neck aren't that great, those dimarzios might sound cool in my MK. Although my MK has coil splitting, which I do have to admit, is something I use.

Spudman
December 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Save your money. Get something that when you pick it up the first time you just know that it is the one for you. You'll be much happier in the long run and wont be taking a chance that this copy is worth the time, money and effort.

hubberjub
December 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Though the DiMarzios probably make it a good buy the bolt-on imports of that area weren't so highly regarded. You don't need it. However, I rarely purchase equipment out of necessity.

Robert
December 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Don't buy it.

Commodore 64
December 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
I can't find anything about Bently guitars being made in 1981 and I can't find anything about them having Dimarzios, solid mahogany bodies or anything. I did find some pics of this guitar. If you look, the tuners have been replaced...and I can't seem to see what the body is made of.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/446964-anyone-ever-heard-bently-guitar-pics-included.html

I'm starting to waver...your advice is working. But seller did call...and I can look at it tonight.

And look! A Samick jazzmaster for $80. Are those P90s in there? http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1521319040.html

oldguy
December 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
" Someone please talk me out of offering this gut $100 for a pre-Lawsuit LP "

//Even if this gut(guy?) needs Christmas money, you don't need that guitar, even if it's worth the $$$.
Besides, he should have saved more during the year and bought his little children one small present each, he wouldn't have been in this fix. I'm sure the little tykes will get over it quickly, kids rebound fast.:french
Don't buy it! Feel better?????? :poke

FrankenFretter
December 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
I can't find anything about Bently guitars being made in 1981 and I can't find anything about them having Dimarzios, solid mahogany bodies or anything. I did find some pics of this guitar. If you look, the tuners have been replaced...and I can't seem to see what the body is made of.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/446964-anyone-ever-heard-bently-guitar-pics-included.html

I'm starting to waver...your advice is working. But seller did call...and I can look at it tonight.

And look! A Samick jazzmaster for $80. Are those P90s in there? http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1521319040.html

Buy the Samick. You've denied yourself enough already. There is no such thing as too many guitars. Each one has it's own personality, and you can be in the mood for a certain one at any certain time, and variety is a good thing. If you're feeling guilty about buying another guitar, sell one that you don't feel much of a connection to.

And yes, there is a Santa Claus and he wants you to have a new [to you] guitar for Christmas.

If you look at your left shoulder, the guy with the horns is me.

Commodore 64
December 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the Bently. I'm not at all sure it is as described in the CL ad. And besides, you are all correct, I have a very nice LP copy in the MK guitar.

HOWEVER, I don't have a P-90 guitar, and that Samick just so happens to still be available. I'm meeting the seller at 4pm, and I don't think I'll be able to come home without it.