PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just hate coming up with xmas present ideas?

deeaa
December 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Man, I really don't enjoy having to come up with xmas present ideas.

For kids, easy. I got my kid a Scalextric set and sister's kids some books and legos etc. but for grown-ups...what can you get people?

I can't think of anything my wife would need. She doesn't really use any jewelry, and I've bought her a lot of that in the past anyway. Lingerie, I dunno her sizes and preferences. Can't think of anything she doesn't have. I have bought her a computer, camera, iPod, perfumes, telephone, books, jewelry, clothes, u name it...she has everything already.

The same with my sister; can't think of ANYTHING she could use or doesn't have yet. Doesn't eat candy or wear jewelry and definitely doesn't have any ornaments etc. in her house.

My mom, impossible. Whatever I give her, she'll give back saying she has no use for it, please take it back so it gets some use. Doesn't eat candy etc.

Need I even say the same about my dad? Needs nothing. On his birthday I bought him new shoes; still hasn't worn them, says he doesn't want to use the new ones so they'll stay nice, before the old ones get worn.

Jeez. I'm really stressed - just giving up. I don't have a clue what to get anybody so I'll just not get anybody anything this year.

oldguy
December 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
A nice card with heartfelt note is usually appreciated.

I was going to offer suggestions but it sounds like your mind is made up.
Merry Christmas!:)

deeaa
December 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Yeah...that's a good suggestion actually. I'll do just that, write some nice cards!

oldguy
December 23rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
My Dad is 80 and needs nothing, wants nothing, and my Mom is in a nursing home and has been for years due to a stroke that left her w/o speech or the use of her right side.
Sometimes a card telling them you love them and thanking them for being there for you years ago is a nice thing. And, of course, just a visit to let them know you care. :)

deeaa
December 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
My Dad is 80 and needs nothing, wants nothing, and my Mom is in a nursing home and has been for years due to a stroke that left her w/o speech or the use of her right side.
Sometimes a card telling them you love them and thanking them for being there for you years ago is a nice thing. And, of course, just a visit to let them know you care. :)

Yeah...that visiting thing is getting difficult too. Mom doesn't really even remember who we are and even if she does, she just says she has a flu she doesn't want us to get and won't let us in most of the time. Just says thank you very much to visit, now bye bye! Dad lives next door to her and takes care of her 24/7 and I try to arrange meeting them now and then, but it's always so hard...they go to bed around six or seven in the evening and before that they have a sauna or an outing, so the only time I can get to see them is at weekends, and that's hard because we have other stuff as well, wife works Saturdays and Sundays and it's always super hard to find a time to meet them. It's like, are you home at 10? No? 11? OK after 12 OK? Oh yeah, that's the Saturday sauna. Well after that? Yes I understand, you'll all be tired...and so on and so on.

Dad always is happy to have us there but when we are there he's constantly jumping at the door seeing if mom's all right or whatever, and it's clearly a lot of work for him to make coffee etc. ready for us, clean the apartment and so on...so it's like we feel we're in the way nevertheless.

I've pretty much decided that if and when my life seems to be going that route, I'll just end it myself and be done with it. I know mom would like to end her life as well, I'm sure of it, but self-euthanasia isn't legal here and she'd never kill herself by her own hand. She just doesn't take any medication and hopes it'll finish her off soon.

ted s
December 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Deea, what about a collection of old family photo's, that would be nice.

deeaa
December 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Deea, what about a collection of old family photo's, that would be nice.

Dang that's a great idea for dad. Yep! Not for mom though, she has 'em all and she keeps bringing back photos of my kids etc. saying she wants us to keep them so they don't get lost :-( and won't hear of it when we say we have several.